SMS Issue

J.Steere

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone having an issue where you recieve SMS from someone and it is in another thread with another person you are texting?

Or issues with deleting SMS Conversations and it gives you an error message?

IDK why I am having this issue besides that I am happy with the phone its great! Any ideas?

dannzeman

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with SMS messages. I've tried deleting all the messages then sending out several new messages and when I get replies they get lumped into one threaded message, which is very annoying.

I haven't had any problems deleting messages.

uminchu

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
IMO, both ChompSMS and Handcent SMS handle text messaging far better than the stock app, and in my experience keep everything assigned to the proper threads. Between the two, I prefer Handcent by a small margin, only because I find it more customizable.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
You'll be glad you did.

Handcent is awesome! I'm currently using the iphone theme so its much more pleasing to the eye than the stock messenger app.

barnettj

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
You'll be glad you did.

Handcent is awesome! I'm currently using the iphone theme so its much more pleasing to the eye than the stock messenger app.

Absolutely agree. I had been switching between iPhone and G1. However, Handcent is what made me stick with the G1. I love how it is so customizable. I have a different signature set for each contact. There are a lot of other things I have customized on it. After using Handcent, other sms apps seem inferior. I know a lot of people use Chomp. I have never tried it. Once I tried Handcent, I didn't feel the need to mess with it.

dannzeman

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my problem was caused by Flexilis Mobile Security. I uninstalled it but that didn't work so I hard reset and have been slowly adding back applications except Flexilis and I haven't had any problems so far.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
It's something more than that because I don't have that and mine is still doing it. I have a few threads that work just fine but a few that are all lumped.

dannzeman

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I've started to get that issue again and I think it has something to do with the text message I get from onlinebanking@ealerts.bankofamerica.com
If I send a text to a person I don't already have a conversation with then the messaging app (regardless of whether its the stock Messaging app, Handcent, or chompSMS) will lump new sent texts into the bankofamerica conversation.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I've started to get that issue again and I think it has something to do with the text message I get from onlinebanking@ealerts.bankofamerica.com
If I send a text to a person I don't already have a conversation with then the messaging app (regardless of whether its the stock Messaging app, Handcent, or chompSMS) will lump new sent texts into the bankofamerica conversation.

Great observation. Curious - do your BoA alerts come from a number that isn't 10 digits? For example Twitter sends txt alerts from 40***, FB uses 7-9 digit numbers etc.

We're not responsible to troubleshoot things for Google/HTC/Sprint, but I do have a suggestion - try adding BoA to your contacts using the numer the txts come from as a mobile number. I get alerts from Chase, E-Trade and Twitter using non 10 digit numbers, but I have them all in my contacts simply because I could add a picture to ID who the txts were from. I've never had this issue, and am wondering if that's why.

Last edited:

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my Bank of America alerts were causing this too. I tried deleting the thread that I started with them and I don't have them in my contacts but it's still messing up.

I went and turned off alerts from B of A. Should I still try adding them to my contacts or go ahead and delete the contacts that are being lumped into one thread and readding them?

doublebullout

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Another good reason to use HandCent is that the stock messaging app can accidentally keep the Hero from going to sleep fully. Switching to HandCent or Chomp should improve battery life. It made a big difference for me. HTC is working on a fix for it.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my Bank of America alerts were causing this too. I tried deleting the thread that I started with them and I don't have them in my contacts but it's still messing up.

I went and turned off alerts from B of A. Should I still try adding them to my contacts or go ahead and delete the contacts that are being lumped into one thread and readding them?

This may do absolutely nothing, but It surely won't cause any harm.

I would try adding a contact named BoA, and use the number that shows when the txts are recieved as their mobile number in the contact. Turn you alerts back on, wait for a new text from BoA, read it and let it sit in your inbox. Text the hell out of your friends or loved ones and see if you get the errors, or if anything changes. I would delete the threads you have in your inbox currently, and even do a battery pull before starting the experiment.

On the flip side, I'm pulling Chase, Twitter and E-Trade out of my contacts to see if I get the errors.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I already deleted my thread so I'm not sure what number it was :(. I'm curious to know though if you get errors after you pull them out of your contacts.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Ok, this is driving me crazy. I have GOT to get this fixed. I no longer have B of A text alerts coming to my phone but it is still lumping contacts together in one thread.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Can't reproduce any SMS bugs. So far that is. I'll leav it like this for a few days, in case it's random, but I've put ~340 texts out and rec'd well over 250 and nothing seems different.

meangreengdub

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Can't reproduce any SMS bugs. So far that is. I'll leav it like this for a few days, in case it's random, but I've put ~340 texts out and rec'd well over 250 and nothing seems different.

Well you seem pretty knowledgeable about this phone, do you think I should return it to Sprint for a different one?

I don't have the number from BofA to add as a contact because I deleted that thread. I'm not sure what else to do. It makes no sense to me.

inline325i#AC

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I am having the exact same thing. Get a SMS text froma contact and it shows coming from the onlinebanking@ealerts.bankofamerica.com so cant reply since the contact name shows as BOA....????

Did anyone find a fix or what was causing this?? I am using Chomp reformatted the phone and that worked for a while. Once i got a TRUE sms from BOA now its doing the same thing again..... uggg.. any suggestions???

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Well you seem pretty knowledgeable about this phone, do you think I should return it to Sprint for a different one?

I don't have the number from BofA to add as a contact because I deleted that thread. I'm not sure what else to do. It makes no sense to me.

I wouldn't send it back to Sprint just yet. Something tells me this is not a hardware bug.

Ok, I am having the exact same thing. Get a SMS text froma contact and it shows coming from the onlinebanking@ealerts.bankofamerica.com so cant reply since the contact name shows as BOA....????

Did anyone find a fix or what was causing this?? I am using Chomp reformatted the phone and that worked for a while. Once i got a TRUE sms from BOA now its doing the same thing again..... uggg.. any suggestions???

So that's 3 folks with the bug, all getting texts from BoA. I can confirm I do not see this issue with txt alerts from Chase, Twitter, Facebook, E-Trade and Mastercard - all of which use short style callback numbers for their SMS services.

Is anyone getting alerts from BoA and NOT getting this bug?
Is anyone getting this bug and NOT using BoA alerts?

This sounds like the fix may be easier than hunting the bug lol. What could really help:
Meangreengdub - keep your online alerts off for BoA, reboot your phone. See if you still get issues

inline325i - each time you get a text from BoA, send a test text to anyone. Make sure you see the error. Delete the txt thread from BoA, send another text, see if you get the error.

ANYONE ELSE who would like to participate, and using Handcent - try adding BoA to the built in blacklist in Handcent. See if you see any difference.

I'm emailing a link to this thread to a friend who may be able to pass this on to the right people. I'm also going to cross post on the Sprint Community forums, they have a bug list there that HTC and Sprint support are actively monitoring.

I WOULD recommend anyone with this issue contact Sprint and report the bug, politely and honestly. I'm sure a fix will come, but for now let's try to find a work around. Maybe I'm chasing ghosts here (wouldn't be the first time) but the more WE can find out the less work for HTC and a faster fix.