So both these articles say the S2 is better

coogrrr94

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Never heard of either of those sites and I'm guessing neither of them have held a GNex. Going by specs alone is never a good comparison. And if the past is any indications, the Galaxy SII may get ICS next December

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Spec wise that technically may be true but there are 2 determining factors that weigh heavily against those points.

1) there is no samsung galaxy S II on verizon which is a vastly superior network then the rest (i have been on all but tmobile)

2) "When" the galaxy S II gets ICS is the key word. Samsung is Notorious for lengthy drawn out upgrades on their devices. i wouldnt be suprised if the galaxy S II didnt get ICS till 3rd quarter next year.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs Samsung Galaxy S2 - News - Know Your Mobile

[Compared] Samsung Galaxy S2 vs Galaxy Nexus; no surprises, S2 wins! | The DNetWorks

Hopefully I inserted these links properly.

Both of these articles say the S2 has better specs than the Galaxy Nexus, and is the better phone especially when the S2 gets upgraded to ICS. So is the Galaxy Nexus an upgrade to the S2 or more of the same just with a different design?

What do you guys think?

Both of those articles are from the 19th of October. Those aren't even reviews.

For a Verizon user it doesn't matter anyway. The GS2 doesn't even exist as far as we're concerned.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't put to much stock in either one. It comes down to the user experience. I think the phone is going to be more than a list of specs comparing one phone to another. At one time I was planning on getting the Razr and the GN and then deciding which to keep, but for now I am holding off until both phones are out and then deciding.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
They base their conclusions purely off the fact that the Mali 400 performs better in benchmarks than the powervr 540 and that the number 8 is larger than the number 5

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Numbers and specs don't mean anything to me. Its the experience and the software that does. And obviously the GN wins in those departments.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think it would be easier to just do a comparison on what we already know versus what may or may not happen to either device. I'll use the LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus and the US version (AT&T) of the Galaxy S2.

-LTE vs HSPA+ is a no-brainer. While the adverse effects on the battery life aren't inspiring, it is the faster of the two. In my opinion, the Galaxy Nexus is a 4G device while the Galaxy S2 is 3.5G.

-The display is going to be difficult to compare only because the word "pentile" is going to be thrown around. I'm a fan of the higher resolution/bigger screen, but I've used the S2 before and I had zero complaints about the display. I'll call this a draw only because it really does boil down to preference.

-Exynos vs TI OMAP 4460 (and their respective GPU's) would be a pretty easy choice, but as of right now, only the Galaxy Nexus has ICS which not only utilizes both cores, but is optimized for the hardware. So if you're a benchmark junky, the Galaxy Nexus is going to have the better scores. In a fair fight, the Exynos/Mali combination would be the faster of the two. Since we're doing it as-is, the Galaxy Nexus has ICS and the Exynos isn't compatible with LTE.

-Software is a beat-down. Again, as-is, the Galaxy Nexus has ICS and the Galaxy S2 does not.

-The camera is tough for me to comment on because I haven't used the camera on the Nexus. I could be entirely wrong on this, but I'd have to give this to the Galaxy S2 for now (and not because it has 3 more megapixels). I have faith the camera on the Nexus will be more than capable, and definitely has more features, but for now I'll say the Galaxy S2 wins this round.

-And lastly, the design. I'm going with the Nexus here. While I'm sure some people have issues with no capacitive buttons on the device, it's just more appealing. And it has a multicolor notification LED. If you include that, with me, you win more often than not.

Just so we're clear, I'm stating that above as my own opinion, not as fact. A lot of you will agree with me, some of you won't. So do I disagree with the articles you mentioned? Yes, and I've actually owned 2 out of the 3 Galaxy S2's in the US. Will the S2 get ICS someday? Definitely. I just have a feeling there will already be a Galaxy S3 and possibly another Nexus device around before that happens.

Reactions: davey11

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
These future Nexus owners are a bunch of whiny crybabies. Specs don't count? What? Since when? I'm sick of people trying to fault the S2 when there is nothing to back these kind of statements. It's the better phone. Except it and get on!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
-The camera is tough for me to comment on because I haven't used the camera on the Nexus. I could be entirely wrong on this, but I'd have to give this to the Galaxy S2 for now (and not because it has 3 more megapixels). I have faith the camera on the Nexus will be more than capable, and definitely has more features, but for now I'll say the Galaxy S2 wins this round.

THe camera, Really? have you seen the no shutter lag that you can snap about 5-6 photos before ANY other phone can snap 1? to me that is 1000% better. We know the quality is going to be good because, lets face it, samsung has great optics for cameras.

I am definitely going to have to disagree on this one but all the rest of your points were very valid

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
These future Nexus owners are a bunch of whiny crybabies. Specs don't count? What? Since when? I'm sick of people trying to fault the S2 when there is nothing to back these kind of statements. It's the better phone. Except it and get on!

since iphones sell about 3x as much as any one phone and its specs are sub-par compared to any phone released at the same time. Yes, Android sells way more devices overall but on a one to one comparison with ANY device, including the SGSII, it smokes it. So, tell me that specs matter?

the GN has ICS which wont be on any other samsung device currently out for AT LEAST another 6 months if not more... That, in my eyes, is superior.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

It's not that we think that specs don't matter, it's more that we feel software is the most important spec

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site

First of all, tone it down. We do not accept namecalling here.

Second of all, experience > specs.

Every time.

Third, why do you even care? Do you feel threatened? Jealousy? What? What is it that makes you want come into another thread to tout how much better the GS II is vs. the Nexus while berating others?

Would I have chosen a GS II over the Nexus if both were on the same network?

From a hardware perspective, yes if the GS II had a 720p screen.

From an experience perspective, not a chance.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
First of all, tone it down. We do not accept namecalling here.

Second of all, experience > specs.

Every time.

Third, why do you even care? Do you feel threatened? Jealousy? What? What is it that makes you want come into another thread to tout how much better the GS II is vs. the Nexus while berating others?

Sorry. And exactly. Since all we have are specs right now, no experience, only speculation. Who knows: the S2 may get ICS tomorrow. Since were speculating...
And it's not another thread. It's in the "havent reads".
And jealous or threatened, as a noob I'll never realize the full potential of this phone or the Nexux. I don't care which is "better".
I'm just noticing how heated this debate is and how passionate some people are about something they don't even have yet.

Last edited: