T-mobile LTE-U disappointment. What's your speed?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is farther away but in a much open area. Getting awesome LTE T-Mobile speed here than my home:

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170520/7143ae1aaa7ea76c6b0f3c2a71e5efa0.jpg

It's certainly fast but it seems like actual speeds are falling far behind theoretical. On my my note 3, i was able to get faster speeds than that and my note 3 had a theoretical max of 150mbps, giving me about 90% of max theoretical speeds. On the S8, your speeds, while impressive, are less than 15% of max theoretical speeds

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
It's certainly fast but it seems like actual speeds are falling far behind theoretical. On my my note 3, i was able to get faster speeds than that and my note 3 had a theoretical max of 150mbps, giving me about 90% of max theoretical speeds. On the S8, your speeds, while impressive, are less than 15% of max theoretical speeds

Well, to the OP's question - so what speeds are LTE U?

Also, speeds & coverage can vary area to area. The speeds I shared here are not even in the city or downtown, so its good to see the coverage here.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought when I got my T-Mobile S8 I would have ultra fast gigabit internet. Not.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-...rder-amazingness-and-ludicrous-lte-speeds.htm

My speed is fine but I don't get the new internet speeds. Pretty deceptive advertising if you ask me. I'm in North Jersey.
Post your T-Mobile 4G LTE speeds and location.

Did you actually look at the list of covered cities in that press release? Unless you live in one listed, you won't get the LTE advanced speeds they're talking about, and even then it says plain as day that it may only be available in parts of them. LTE U is something completely different.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, to the OP's question - so what speeds are LTE U?

Also, speeds & coverage can vary area to area. The speeds I shared here are not even in the city or downtown, so its good to see the coverage here.

LTE u simply refers to unlicensed spectrum, as opposed to licensed spectrum that carriers use today. There's really no limit and carriers can achieve gigabit without lte u, if they had enough licensed spectrum. Likewise they can also achieve gigabit speeds and above using strictly unlicensed spectrum.

Keep in mind that unlicensed spectrum can be used by anyone including WiFi. Wifi ac can hit gigabit speeds theoretically.

Last edited:

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Also, even when LTE U is deployed, 5ghz spectrum is very fast but VERY bad at building penetration and range. So areas where you'll get it even when deployed will vary wildly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also, even when LTE U is deployed, 5ghz spectrum is very fast but VERY bad at building penetration and range. So areas where you'll get it even when deployed will vary wildly.
This ! :). An example can be seen with 2.4 GHz WiFi versus 5 GHz WiFi.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It will be used mainly for densification, I would imagine. It can be used in places like stadiums or amusement parks. Or in skyscrapers it can reduce licensed spectrum load, at least on one or two sides of a building would be able to use it.

I think that people are making it a bigger deal than it really is though

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My device is a Pixel XL on Google's Project Fi network - with Wi-Fi disabled, that means I am on the T-Mobile network when in my home. I am running the current Android O beta.

I just ran several tests over a period of a few minutes; these are the best and the worst of them. The last screenshot is from the Network Signal Info Pro app.

Screenshot_20170521-103350.jpg
Screenshot_20170521-103308.jpg
Screenshot_20170521-103537.jpg

Mallowpuff

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I just ran an Ookla speedtest at the end of my driveway with 2 bars of LTE on my S7 Edge, although I don't have my actual results as I wasn't really planning on posting them.

But they were just around 55Mbps Download, 8Mbps Upload. This is an AT&T phone on T-Mobile with only 2 bars.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
e33e3fa94dd13b4087a82675c02acea7.jpg
outdoors in middle of woods ( no, literally, I was in middle of large county park,) fastest speed I've seen on T-Mobile regardless of phone.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This is my speed test in Norcross Ga. Just outside of Atlanta. S8+ on Tmo

Attachments

• 5523.jpg
    5523.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 46

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I thought when I got my T-Mobile S8 I would have ultra fast gigabit internet. Not.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...lte-speeds.htm

My speed is fine but I don't get the new internet speeds. Pretty deceptive advertising if you ask me. I'm in North Jersey.
Post your T-Mobile 4G LTE speeds and location.

I'm in Maryland right outside DC and my speed varies considerably. Most of the time it's somewhere around 20 Mbps, but sometimes it can be as low as 7-8 Mbps and sometimes it'll go north of 50 Mbps. Just depends on the time, day, etc.

Last edited:

nguyening

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
Curious, anyone witnessed carrier aggregation, mimo4x4, or qam 256/64 on their phones yet? CA is almost always "not config" in Jacksonville, FL, and I know that's one of the cities listed for all the new gigabit tech. I use *#0011# to study the phone's current connection, but I'm almost always connected to just one band, which doesn't really put the s8 on any better footing than other flagships. What good is gigabit capability if it's not ever utilized? At least that was the primary reason I bought the dang thing...

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Curious, anyone witnessed carrier aggregation, mimo4x4, or qam 256/64 on their phones yet? CA is almost always "not config" in Jacksonville, FL, and I know that's one of the cities listed for all the new gigabit tech. I use *#0011# to study the phone's current connection, but I'm almost always connected to just one band, which doesn't really put the s8 on any better footing than other flagships. What good is gigabit capability if it's not ever utilized? At least that was the primary reason I bought the dang thing...
This is what I'm getting in Jacksonville FL.
6dbdc04ccb2ecc9986572893ff0fc202.jpg