Tempered glass screen protector Oneplus 3

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Even though most probably haven't received their devices yet, I figured we could start the trial and error discussion of good and bad protectors, halo or no halo, too big too small. I pre-ordered this through Amazon.

Oneplus 3 Screen Protector, Asmart High Definition 9H Hardness Tempered Glass Front Screen Protector for Oneplus Three, 2.5D Round Edge, Bubble-free (Clear) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GLSEA1...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5228746

We'll see how it goes. I'll post results once I get it.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I looked on Amazon the other day and didn't see a single tempered glass screen protector, let alone any screen protectors... This must be brand new. I do use these on every device I own, and sadly oneplus was sold out when I tried ordering one with the device.

Posted via the Android Central App

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I ordered some cheap Chinese ones from eBay, not always the best, but I have had luck in the past.

It's best to assume I'm being sarcastic. if I'm ever serious I'll type "/s" to make it clear.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually quite interested in this topic at the moment - I've almost never used a screen protector before, don't like 'em, but now that one has been factory fitted to my device I'm toying with the idea of getting the tempered glass one.

Does it cover more of the front of the phone? The current one isn't great as it doesn't reach the edges of the device so my thumb slips off it as I'm swiping across the screen. Also, does it feel nicer?

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually quite interested in this topic at the moment - I've almost never used a screen protector before, don't like 'em, but now that one has been factory fitted to my device I'm toying with the idea of getting the tempered glass one.

Does it cover more of the front of the phone? The current one isn't great as it doesn't reach the edges of the device so my thumb slips off it as I'm swiping across the screen. Also, does it feel nicer?

Tempered glass screen protectors feel exactly like the phones screen. And yes they generally do go as far to the edges as possible. It is noticeable that they add an extra layer of thickness to your phones screen, but I think the protection is completely worth it. I use glad screen protectors on all my phone's now. I've cracked a few of them but saved the screen itself. They're worth it.

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks mchockeyvette - given the price I'll probably just order one of these up. Are there any particular brands people tend to recommend or is OEM best?

singelectric

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I got a cheap screen protector for free when I got a case for my HTC Evo 4G back in 2010, and put it on, kept it on for a day, then ripped it off and thought "never again." Then I got a tempered glass screen protector for my Nexus 5x, and I have to say, it's a world of difference: The screen feels the same as it does without one on. I often throw my phone in a bag, or some place where there's a possibility of light dust/sand putting light scratches on the screen.

With the screen protector, when/if that happens 1) it's not happening to the screen and 2) you can just replace it, or rip it off and sell the phone with a 'like new' screen.

I think it actually helps with tactile response, since over time, any oleophobic coating wears off, but replacing the protector lets you keep the factory coating, and again, is replaceable.

sjampinho

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
I ordered the Oneplus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I used to be no fan of these kind of protectors but since one of my phones felt and the glass was broken I always use them. My samsung S5 felt out of my pocket while moving on the bike, bouncing on the ground a couple of times. Only this tempered glass was broken, my screen was looking fine. So, I can advice them to you!

But... as I said, I orderd the OnePlus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I think the quality is very good, also the installation manual. But I do NOT like the size. I think it's too small. See the picture below for yourself, maybe difficult to see. There is +/- 3mm left and right of the screen where the tempered glass does not reach.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Strange I think!
As areyes163 said, It won't go to the edge, but it's not because the edge is curved, it's flat where the tempered glass should be fitted

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the Oneplus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I used to be no fan of these kind of protectors but since one of my phones felt and the glass was broken I always use them. My samsung S5 felt out of my pocket while moving on the bike, bouncing on the ground a couple of times. Only this tempered glass was broken, my screen was looking fine. So, I can advice them to you!

But... as I said, I orderd the OnePlus 3 with the tempered glass screen protector. I think the quality is very good, also the installation manual. But I do NOT like the size. I think it's too small. See the picture below for yourself, maybe difficult to see. There is +/- 3mm left and right of the screen where the tempered glass does not reach.

Strange I think!
As areyes163 said, It won't go to the edge, but it's not because the edge is curved, it's flat where the tempered glass should be fitted

Thanks very much for uploading photos - I think I'm going to hold off a little bit until I can find one that fits better, one of the things I really don't like about the pre-fitted one is that it doesn't actually cover the screen, there are actual lit pixels outside of it and it's silly if I'm scrolling to the edge. Much appreciated!

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Strange I think!

When looking very closely at the edges, it does look like it curves ever so slightly a couple mm in. And I think they're trying to avoid even the slightest of error when you apply the protector. Which is kinda a bummer, but I guess that's how they chose to do it. And it's better than nothing.

There also seems to be almost nothing available for the phone yet, be it screen protectors or cases. Except OEM of course. Guess I'll just pony up for their glass protector and live with the edges.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
debating on taking stock off. I went naked on OG Moto X and 2014 Moto X PE and had a few small scratches on OG and none on the PE. I worry tho since this phone is bigger than both of the others. I still have stock on it...but I just got the device 4 hours ago...

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Just FYI - I'm 24 hours with the protector off and loads of scratches, despite having never had one on my Galaxy S6 edge in over a year of having it and never having a screen protector (actually contributing to me thinking they aren't all that. Looks like they are.) I am...quite shocked, if I'm honest. #regrets

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

Yea that is a very poorly designed protector. The one I have on my Nexus 5 is right at the edge. With the case on my phone you can hardly tell it has a protector on it.

maximus theodore

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Tempered glass screen protectors feel exactly like the phones screen. And yes they generally do go as far to the edges as possible. It is noticeable that they add an extra layer of thickness to your phones screen, but I think the protection is completely worth it. I use glad screen protectors on all my phone's now. I've cracked a few of them but saved the screen itself. They're worth it.

I bought the one from oneplus website it does not cover the hole screen it have a huge amount left on the side i took it off

JonnyT

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
That sucks man. Now you have me paranoid and I am over-checking my screen for scratches all the time.

I assumed all Gorilla Glass 4 screens were created equal. Maybe I've been an ***** in, like... the last 2 days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whytefrank