TEP Replacement Advice

shoeless1542

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the sprint insurance, and I had a broken screen. Rather than pay $100 for a warranty return I just purchased a screen of Amazon for $27. I replaced it, it looked marvelous, but I damaged the LCD ribbon because the screen doesn't come on. The phone will ring and the touchscreen will respond. So I went ahead and order a replacement. Anyways I am rooted with Cyrogenmod. I can't unroot it because I can't see the screen, and I don't want to destroy the phone b/c that seems like a waste. I was just going to send it in as is. I can't see why that wouldn't honor my warranty, but of course after reading the forums now I am paranoid. The phones on backorder of shipment from Ascurion so I have a little time. Any suggestions?

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Tough one...By the time they caught it, you'd have the new phone...they'll probably flag you for any future replacements though until they verified it was stock so I'd either not root it, or cancel the insurance, or find another insurance company.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Tough one...By the time they caught it, you'd have the new phone...they'll probably flag you for any future replacements though until they verified it was stock so I'd either not root it, or cancel the insurance, or find another insurance company.

wrong.

take the phone to a service center. they should replace your LCD for free, if they can't they will exchange your phone at no cost.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
wrong.

take the phone to a service center. they should replace your LCD for free, if they can't they will exchange your phone at no cost.

Wrong.

If he damaged it by repairing it himself they will charge him. That is why he wants to send it in. Read the OP's response instead of skimming over it and forming a VERY wrong Opinion.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know where the hell you get your information from, but my information comes from me working in an ASC for the past year or so.

also this is sprint's policy on rooting.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint/87357-sprints-policy-rooting-please-sticky.html

I don't know why you're cursing, but it will get the thread closed if you continue to act like you're 12 years old.

There are TWO parts to his issue.

Part 1 is he took his phone apart and now it is broke. If he is really nice, Sprint might fix it for him for free. (We already know YOU will, but that is YOU only)

Part 2 is that he is thinking of sending a rooted phone in and attempting to get a non-rooted phone back in return leaving the "surprise" for whoever repairs the phone, who then MAY not be able to wipe it and reinstall the stock ROM. That's why you're not supposed to send a ROOTED phone in for repair.

It MAY be more than just a broken LCD cable. You don't know, and neither do I unless you're like David Blaine. Neither of us have the phone in our hands.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why you're cursing, but it will get the thread closed if you continue to act like you're 12 years old.

There are TWO parts to his issue.

Part 1 is he took his phone apart and now it is broke. If he is really nice, Sprint might fix it for him for free. (We already know YOU will, but that is YOU only)

Part 2 is that he is thinking of sending a rooted phone in and attempting to get a non-rooted phone back in return leaving the "surprise" for whoever repairs the phone, who then MAY not be able to wipe it and reinstall the stock ROM. That's why you're not supposed to send a ROOTED phone in for repair.

It MAY be more than just a broken LCD cable. You don't know, and neither do I unless you're like David Blaine. Neither of us have the phone in our hands.

True, he should have brought it into a service center in the first place. If i had the phone in my hands it would probably work before he left. but i don't, the cable might night even be hooked up right.

shoeless1542

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate both your guys help, a couple different perspectives is what I was looking for. I originally took the phone to the sprint store with the cracked screen and they said they would have to send it in and I would have to pay $100. That's why I tried to fix it myself. I guess in the process of removing the LCD cable, the tweezers ripped it a tiny bit. I just went and called the TEP people and not bothered taking it to the Sprint store b/c I figured they would just tell me it would cost a $100 and would have to send it off. My thought is that it is insurance, not a warranty. If I pay for the monthly insurance and pay the high deductible they shouldn't be upset about me sending them a relatively good phone and me getting a questionable refurbished unit back, that's why I don't want to destroy it or say it was stolen. I will have the refurbished unit in my hands when I send the broken phone back. Sure they might notice the lcd cable ripped, but they don't know that I did that, and the fact that it has root and a custom rom is no what caused the problems. I think I am just going to send it in and be blissfully ignorant. What do you think the worse case scenario would be?

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate both your guys help, a couple different perspectives is what I was looking for. I originally took the phone to the sprint store with the cracked screen and they said they would have to send it in and I would have to pay $100. That's why I tried to fix it myself. I guess in the process of removing the LCD cable, the tweezers ripped it a tiny bit. I just went and called the TEP people and not bothered taking it to the Sprint store b/c I figured they would just tell me it would cost a $100 and would have to send it off. My thought is that it is insurance, not a warranty. If I pay for the monthly insurance and pay the high deductible they shouldn't be upset about me sending them a relatively good phone and me getting a questionable refurbished unit back, that's why I don't want to destroy it or say it was stolen. I will have the refurbished unit in my hands when I send the broken phone back. Sure they might notice the lcd cable ripped, but they don't know that I did that, and the fact that it has root and a custom rom is no what caused the problems. I think I am just going to send it in and be blissfully ignorant. What do you think the worse case scenario would be?

As I said in my first reply, if they did anything I think they'd flag you for any further replacements until they get the unit, instead of sending you one first...or, they'll just cancel you. It's just my opinion, but that's what I've seen happen in the past.

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
if you're that concerned, imo, it got lost. TEP covers lost phones. Are you lying? Yes. I dropped my Centro in a cup of water (God knows how) and the Sprint store whom I purchased it from instructed me to file it as lost because that way I didn't have to deal with sending it back. Underhanded, maybe but some food for thought regardless.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As a fellow ASC mentioned, a rooted phone is not treated any differently in a service center per Sprint's internal methods and proceedures posted early April.

Asurion doesn't treat anything differently.

Rooting your phone and having S-OFF, different roms, etc only comes into play if you want HTC to do warranty work. Sprint does not honor or do any work as part of the phone warranty. It has no bearing on how a service center treats a phone (again, per Sprint's own posted ASC policies).

When the store offered to fix it for $100, they were most likely just going to make an insurance claim for you.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
As a fellow ASC mentioned, a rooted phone is not treated any differently in a service center per Sprint's internal methods and proceedures posted early April.

Asurion doesn't treat anything differently.

Rooting your phone and having S-OFF, different roms, etc only comes into play if you want HTC to do warranty work. Sprint does not honor or do any work as part of the phone warranty. It has no bearing on how a service center treats a phone (again, per Sprint's own posted ASC policies).

When the store offered to fix it for $100, they were most likely just going to make an insurance claim for you.

Thanks for explaining it that way. Why does every thread (except this one) tell people not to send a rooted phone in for warranty work or replacement? Is it a fairly recent (April) policy change or something, or is it just a general paranoia all along perpetuated by rumor that I was guilty of believing also?

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for explaining it that way. Why does every thread (except this one) tell people not to send a rooted phone in for warranty work or replacement? Is it a fairly recent (April) policy change or something, or is it just a general paranoia all along perpetuated by rumor that I was guilty of believing also?

Just general paranoia. Rooting the phone does probably void the warrenty from HTC. but if you opt for the TEP insurance we'll fix it regardless (unless water damaged or unreasonable physical damage)

if you take it to a ASC try to avoid the corporate ASC, they have to play by all the rules. a good third party preferred ASC can bend the rules a little bit.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

If its software related, an ASC will request it be brought in stock because we cant troubleshoot custom ROMs. If its a part issue, we usually have a part we can harvest due to the amount of exchanges because of the charging port or reboot issue. If its physically damaged with more than one crack or that one crack is longer than an inch, policy is extreme physical damage and its Asurions problem. Now most ASCs will repair a shattered screen if they have one to use in store, we wont order a replacement through AE because of it.

As far as root is concerned most ASCs cant tell whats actually rooted or just themed so the policy is relaxed. Asurion wont do anything except reflash the board with stock and refurbish. Ive had replacement phones come in already rooted and S-OFF before from Asurion.....

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
FYI, my EVO landed in the lake the other day. Only a foot of water for 3 seconds but it was gone.

I did the insurance process on-line and had a 100% new EVO with all accessories by Noon the next day!! All they wanted back was the water damaged phone.

For all the horror stories about getting phones replaced this was a great experience.

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I received my insurance replacement yesterday and I received a refurb (says so on the inside). everything except the data cable and charging plug.

The battery door is missing the chrome "t" in htc :) I think i'll just let that go!!

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I received my insurance replacement yesterday and I received a refurb (says so on the inside). everything except the data cable and charging plug.

The battery door is missing the chrome "t" in htc :) I think i'll just let that go!!

Lmao. The same thing happened to me. I took my EVO out of my pocket and noticed the T was missing the other day. I would send that back. I feel like I have a deformed EVO.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Swing by a Sprint store with a service center sometime. I would imagine most every service center has some EVOs in the back waiting to be sent back. Let them know you got a bum one from asurion and would love to trade for a good back. Guy would have to be ignorant or an ahole to not swap with you.

Obviously not the end of the world stuff, but if you happen to pass by a store at some point and want to swap give it a try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skrifjar14