Terrible wifi performance? - resolved

kevin_stevens

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Picked up my N7 Friday and headed out of town. All weekend I was tethered for internet access, but now that I'm home I notice that the wifi reception is *awful*.

i'm sitting here typing on my iPad, because the N7 can't even get a signal from the ATT Starbucks fifty feet away. The iPad has two of three bars and is working fine.

At home, I have a Juniper wireless firewall/router. Sitting on the couch twenty feet away, my iPad, iPhone, and laptop all show 54Mb connections with about 25 signal strength according to the router's diagnostics. The N7 is connecting at 1Mb with a signal strength of between 5-10. All devices are within two feet of each other.

WTF? Hopefully there's just something wrong with my unit. Any one else having this problem?

I'll post screen shots of the router detailed info when I get back home.

KeS

Edit: Ok, here's the wifi association info. Check the filenames for which device is which.

Last edited:

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
There is probably something wrong with your WiFi antenna. Using my cell phone hotspot I get reception 2 floors up when the phone is in my basement.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kevin_stevens

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
The guy who's checking to be sure that wifi performance isn't an anomaly between Nexus-Juniper.

I can provide poorer trouble reports instead, if you prefer.

KeS

Was just being a smartass :)....continue on with your troubleshooting

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I will say this, if I hold mine in landscape mode I get poor Wi-Fi reception. Within literally 1 second of turning to portrait it shoots up to great reception. What is this, the iPhone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kevin_stevens

kevin_stevens

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Terrible wifi performance?

Ok, well, I returned my N7 to the local GameStop, and as it happens their last pre-order was still available as the guy it was intended for left a disconnected phone number as a contact. So I got another new N7 as a replacement. Yes, you can hate me now. :)

It's... better. Still not what I would call great, but definitely functional instead of just barely being able to connect. Here's the router association info for the new one.

Relieved that it was that simple to resolve, thanks all! (And if someone has a recommendation for a geek-level wireless utility, toss it in here...)

KeS

Last edited:

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I found my N7 to be pretty awesome wifi wise. I have two routers at my office on opposite sides of the floor. I work three feet away from one, but a lot of devices have trouble connecting to the other in my office. The N7 is very stable with both, two bars on the one 100ft away through 8 walls (including two inside-outside barriers) which is pretty impressive. That router isn't that great either. My phone and TF101 get 0-1 bars.

How does your new one compare with other mobile devices?

kambomambo

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Having the same. Currently sat about 8 feet from my router and getting 'good' when should be 'excellent'. In my bedroom, about 30 feet away from the router signal goes completely. Other gadgets have no such problems. From what I've read here it sounds like I need tobtake

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My nexus compares favorably in signal strength to my HTC Thunderbolt and my wife's Samsung Galaxy S2. A little better which I'd expect given that the nexus is bigger and has room for a larger antenna. My ThinkPad laptop does a little better than the nexus but you'd expect that. All in all it seems to be working as well as I expected.
WiFi speed with decent signal is enough to stream stutter-free video from my desktop over Samba and easily enough to outrun my Internet connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796