The Galaxy Note7 has been recalled for battery issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Well my New Note 7 should be at the AT&T store today as I need to pick it up. Guess I will tell them to keep it until the New New replacement units come in. Meanwhile, I'll just use my Note 5 phone, however it charges very slowly and drained horribly yesterday with a drop from , maybe 26 % to 0. Note 3 is looking awfully tempting right now.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Maybe the new phones will also have improved glass?

Yes I know they have already lost 7 Billion in market cap when the story first came out. But I gotta think there's a little more juice to squeeze from this apple. :p

Disclaimer: I don't have any position in Samsung and don't really plan to.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
As an update to those following my little replies, carphone warehouse are currently trying to figure out what to do regarding those who already have their phones. They are communicating with retail support and samsung, but a replacement phone off the bat so far is not guaranteed, as per the words of the sales consultant I spoke to.

Depending on what samsung says, for those in the UK, we either have to shift contracts temporarily (for those who are on contracts) or get refunded and funnel the money somewhere else. That is if you already have the phone. If you haven't yet, you should be getting the monetary gifts from CW (£25 for sim and £50 for contract preorders)

The sales assistant has said he will get back to me as soon as Samsung support picks up their phone as they are rightfully getting a high number of calls atm.

Hopefully I get a phone this weekend. I doubt, but one can hope.
This is what the head of Samsung said.

"As of Sept. 1, a total of 35 claims were registered with Samsung's service centers at home and abroad. Only 24 units on a scale of 1 million were affected by the battery problem," Koh said in the conference.

Samsung will replace all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold at home and abroad with new ones, regardless of the date of the purchase, Koh said.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2016/09/02/22/0502000000AEN20160902009400320F.html

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So, they have to engineer the replacement, test it, and manufacture million of phones. The phone, plus the battery supply has to ramp up production for several million more units too. Not to mention coordination with the carriers. And even if they do just repairs - still, a couple of million new batteries will need to be manufactured - and the repair times will back up,

Its going to take them months to do this.

donb2010

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I too got mine at Best Buy full retail also, but I went to one of the local store to buy it. I don't know if I should get it replaced, seems fine to me so far.

donb2010

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Darn, I literally just applied a screen protector I liked last night. It was only $8, so no big loss, but I wish I had waited to do it until this weekend as I'd planned.

I'm happy that Samsung has publicly acknowledged the issue and is going to replace them. I'm mainly concerned about how I'll go about the swap, though. I bought mine online from Best Buy at full retail, rather than my carrier. :confused: I guess we'll see.

I too got mine at Best Buy full retail also, but I went to one of the local store to buy it. I don't know if I should get it replaced, seems fine to me so far.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you stick with the Note 7 if there is a recall or get different phone?

I think you missed my point completely. The approach smacks of we don't really know what the problem is so we need to get ALL the phones off the street. That removes the immediate liability concern. However, I if they haven't figured out the real problem how long will it really take Samsung to get phones back on the street. Who knows. They certainly will not want to have to chance a 2nd recall. The battery cell story does not add up to they truly have a handle on the problem because they could have phased the recall with priority to the known problem phones and swept up the rest.
Or they know the problem and know that every battery by that vendor could fail.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well my New Note 7 should be at the AT&T store today as I need to pick it up. Guess I will tell them to keep it until the New New replacement units come in. Meanwhile, I'll just use my Note 5 phone, however it charges very slowly and drained horribly yesterday with a drop from , maybe 26 % to 0. Note 3 is looking awfully tempting right now.
Still have any warranty for a warranty exchange or are you trading it in?

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly. How do they order from their subcontractors if they don't keep track of lots, p/o's, contract verification...it beggars belief that they wouldn't have batch info at their fingertips.
Please. They know the exact serial numbers in every device. It's one of the biggest global manufacturers in the world. It's likely EVERY battery by that vendor with the potential for failure.

Infamousx14

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
who cares if only x devices are effected. they are recalling ALL phones.

you guys should be arguing about how they are going to handle this instead of arguing about devices effected.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you stick with the Note 7 if there is a recall or get different phone?

Because its a freakin' hassle to be w/o a phone and to have recustomize it over again and never should have happened in the first place. As a customer who paid top $ for a new phone, I should not have to be exposed to the danger or inconvenience, so pardon me if I am miffed. That doesn't mean I don't think Samsung is doing the right thing. I just hope they DO know what the problem and fix are.

Your assumption that a full recall indicates they do not know what the issue is logical, but not the only logical conclusion.

I suspect the recall is full because they cannot adequately sample the phones that are not suspect. Finding a 24 ppm (parts per million) problem is really, really. They likely have identified a root cause, and have a way to test for it. The next step is to pull them all in. Moving forward each lot will go through a new validation process. This way, Samsung will know every phone out there has gone through the new validation process.

This is a very conservative approach. I applaud them for it, as it demonstrates more concern about safety than bean counting.

Lay person statistical analysis:

24 ppm is 24 in 1,000,000, 2.4 in 100,000, or .24 in 10,000.
That means if you pulled in 10,000 phones you are almost guaranteed to find 0 faulty units.
If you pull in 100,000 phones, you would still have a high probability of finding 0 faulty units.
You can see from those numbers, by the time you do all the testing, the total recall (I liked the OG better) is likely the better statistical choice.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If anyone wants compensation, extended warranty up to 2 years may be suitable.

Though honestly, since the replacement unit is likely going to be from a new batch overseen by much higher QA standards, along with the fact that they're recalling all of them, I personally don't think we need that much compensation, though I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a fair amount of it.

DanRomania

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
What is going to happen with the returned devices? Recycle or refurbish? I am highly suspicious that they are going to sell the returned devices as brand-new ones

Status
Not open for further replies.