The "scrolling smoothness" issue - Nexus 7 vs iPad 2

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
.NET WinForms uses native Win32 API to render buttons, textboxes and some controls. The application code is .NET but the UI is (mostly) native with callbacks to your .NET event handlers.

Interesting. I gather they don't do that with the later Windows UIs based on WPF and XAML. At least I remember having to go through some hoops to get WPF-Win32 interop to work.

anon(5780458)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I gather they don't do that with the later Windows UIs based on WPF and XAML. At least I remember having to go through some hoops to get WPF-Win32 interop to work.

WPF draws its own ugly, substandard, unresponsive controls from scratch like Java. It's only good for pumping out data entry business applications (or making fully skinned non-native, unresponsive applications like iTunes on Windows).

Internet Explorer 11 is the gold standard for responsive native applications.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
WPF draws its own ugly, substandard, unresponsive controls from scratch like Java. It's only good for pumping out data entry business applications (or making fully skinned non-native, unresponsive applications like iTunes on Windows).

Internet Explorer 11 is the gold standard for responsive native applications.

Wow. That is some opinion. Even after having worked for MS for a decade (reading Windows sources, etc). I would not make those statements. Also, I would not push IE11 that hard.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Java needs to die. Anything Java lags. Java on desktop lags (Eclipse), Java on phones lags worse. No amount of on-paper comparisons will ever make Java applications as a whole run as smooth as native code.

Java apps on a top of the line desktop with a native OS like Windows lag. Half of the Android OS is Java...

A $100 Windows phone is smoother than an $800 Android phone.

Wow. That is some opinion. Even after having worked for MS for a decade (reading Windows sources, etc). I would not make those statements. Also, I would not push IE11 that hard.

Indeed, and look how well Windows Phone is doing. 😏

On a serious note, I agree with him that Java sucks. But whatever issues I have with Android using Java, there's still just too much it can do over other mobile OS's to ignore

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Chrome is a bit notorious through ALL android devices for being a system resources hog its been this way since Ice Cream sandwich

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 or Moto G

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Java needs to die. Anything Java lags. Java on desktop lags (Eclipse), Java on phones lags worse. No amount of on-paper comparisons will ever make Java applications as a whole run as smooth as native code.

Java apps on a top of the line desktop with a native OS like Windows lag. Half of the Android OS is Java...

A $100 Windows phone is smoother than an $800 Android phone.

It's not Android that makes Android phones lag. The only high-end ones that have lag ($600/700, there are no Android phones that are $800) are the GS4 and maybe the Note 3. And what makes those lag? Good old TouchWiz, the G2, HTC One, Nexus 5, etc. do not lag even slightly. The Moto X does not lag, and it has "weak" specs. Android doesn't lag like it used to a few years ago...

Posted via Android Central App

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, and look how well Windows Phone is doing. ��

Actually Windows phone is doing quite well outside the US. In Europe and South America it could be #2 behind Android next year. All my friends that have a Lumia love the things. And with Windows Store closing in on 200,000 apps that limitation is disappearing. Also, the Windows store is biased toward paid apps so developers like that.:cool:

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually Windows phone is doing quite well outside the US. In Europe and South America it could be #2 behind Android next year. All my friends that have a Lumia love the things. And with Windows Store closing in on 200,000 apps that limitation is disappearing. Also, the Windows store is biased toward paid apps so developers like that.:cool:

The only reason those phones are getting adopted at all is because Nokia pumped out a ton of low spec budget phones to try to gain some traction in the mobile device industry in places and demographs where Android and Apple aren't. As soon as more phones like the Moto G hit those same places, you'll see the same thing that has already happened in the high end phone market. People will see one phone with a limited ecosystem and another that isn't and make the obvious choice. And I've seen WP's 200,000 app store, it has a very limited number of decent apps. Frankly I have little to no faith in a company that took 3 total OS refreshes (Win Mobile, WP7, and WP8) just to now start catching up to features that Android and iOS users have taken for granted for over 2 years. Like how just getting notification centers and separate volume controls in 2014 is supposed to be big news is awful. MS is still stuck on the slow update cycle they've always operated under for years with Windows desktop OS and they needed to break that mentality years ago.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The only reason those phones are getting adopted at all is because Nokia pumped out a ton of low spec budget phones to try to gain some traction in the mobile device industry in places and demographs where Android and Apple aren't

That seems like a pretty smart business decision. No? Also, Nokia is a very trusted name in many non US markets.

. As soon as more phones like the Moto G hit those same places, you'll see the same thing that has already happened in the high end phone market. People will see one phone with a limited ecosystem and another that isn't and make the obvious choice.

I remains to be seen what happens to Motorola. It could just be another Google experiment that goes away.

Frankly I have little to no faith in a company that took 3 total OS refreshes (Win Mobile, WP7, and WP8) just to now start catching up to features that Android and iOS users have taken for granted for over 2 years. Like how just getting notification centers and separate volume controls in 2014 is supposed to be big news is awful. MS is still stuck on the slow update cycle they've always operated under for years with Windows desktop OS and they needed to break that mentality years ago.

I remember when the same thing was said about Apple. In the mid and late 90s they were low in cash and going to close any day. Friends had stock options with a strike price of $30 when the stock was trading at $15. When you went to the corporate HQ at 1 Infinity Loop the parking lot was half empty. Seemed like there were more people at the Computer Literacy Bookstore that shared the parking lot.

But, who MS picks as a new CEO will be telling. My hope is for someone like Elon Musk, but I think he is having too much fun with Tesla and Space-X.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
That seems like a pretty smart business decision. No? Also, Nokia is a very trusted name in many non US markets.

Flooding the low end market is usually a desperation move. One last death rattle before being bought out.

I remember when the same thing was said about Apple. In the mid and late 90s they were low in cash and going to close any day
Coincidentally enough they were also bailed out by MS

Nokia could make a comeback but history is littered with the bones of fallen tech companies that didn't more so.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463