The verge Nexus 5 review

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
They did not trash it.

Besides, the guy reviewing it is Josh Topolsky, who currently has a Moto X and is a big fan of android. Most of their staff, as a matter of fact, carry an android device as well as an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the internet age, anything short of gushing praise for (insert your preferred ideology/device/flavor/etc.) is viewed as bashing, hating, etc. People seem to have lost all reading comprehension ability and don't seem to be understand that a neutral or critical view of a part of something is not bias or bashing. I'd argue that any review that doesn't point out the good with the bad is the most dishonest and biased type of review there is. I've always found The Verge reviews to be pretty balanced. Sometimes they go overboard (as they did in the Nexus 5 quick look video), but generally they are pretty fair.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
They did not trash it.

Besides, the guy reviewing it is Josh Topolsky, who currently has a Moto X and is a big fan of android. Most of their staff, as a matter of fact, carry an android device as well as an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fair. "Trashed it" was probably not the correct phrase. But, I'll say, I wasn't exactly impressed with their initial hands-on.

I'm not sure, why you brought up the fact that he uses an iPhone, lol. I don't really mind what devices they carry. You can be the biggest fanboy of any alternative platform and still give a more objective hands-on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
In the internet age, anything short of gushing praise for (insert your preferred ideology/device/flavor/etc.) is viewed as bashing, hating, etc. People seem to have lost all reading comprehension ability and don't seem to be understand that a neutral or critical view of a part of something is not bias or bashing. I'd argue that any review that doesn't point out the good with the bad is the most dishonest and biased type of review there is. I've always found The Verge reviews to be pretty balanced. Sometimes they go overboard (as they did in the Nexus 5 quick look video), but generally they are pretty fair.

The Verge isn't normally my first choice for hands-on or review videos or articles. So, maybe I did overreact. But, I'm no blind fanboy. The video just seemed negative, is all. I was going to buy the Nexus 5, anyway. I knew what I was getting myself into.

anon(7820633)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
The Verge isn't normally my first choice for hands-on or review videos or articles. So, maybe I did overreact. But, I'm no blind fanboy. The video just seemed negative, is all. I was going to buy the Nexus 5, anyway. I knew what I was getting myself into.

Yup MERCDROID thats iVerge

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
he did mention Nexus 5 lasted 3.75 hrs in their battery test, lowest he has seen for a while. That battery test usually composed of rotating webpages or videos, it shouldn't take more than 3 days to finish.

It also hurts phones with larger screens and smaller batteries. Real life isn't going to be 100% brightness, smashing the processor, and screen-on (or whatever it is they have setup there). Most people want to know what average use will get me -- 2-3 hours screen on, 10-11 hours away from charger, LTE on, wifi off, etc. To me, that's real life on the go, not their "loop test". It will always benefit phones like the 5S that have less pixels, smaller screen.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder how the shots compare in the stock camera app vs 3rd party apps.

Posted via Android Central App

From the few I've taken to compare, regular shots aren't different using Camera Zoom FX or the stock camera app. The stock app is muddier and has more trouble focusing, but Camera Zoom isn't much better.

The HDR+ shots seem to come out decently though. I'll keep snapping and do a comparison between different apps if people are interested

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
While I think the Verge review of the camera seems a bit out of wack compared to other reviews out there about the camera, I'm glad Josh Topolsky went at Google hard about it. Hopefully this means the 4.4.1 update will bring significant camera improvements to the speed and quality. Google says it's software -- so let's see it get fixed.

Hopefully, it'll bring better battery optimization, too. Seems like reviews across the board are more or less consistent with the notion that the battery is only decent.

SiempreTuna

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Strange how different people read things differently: the Verge review (not the video) seemed very positive to me. They weren't convinced by battery and camera - but given nothing is ever perfect, you'd expect some negatives in any balanced review of any techno toy - however, the summary basically said, if the camera fixes Google says it has in the pipeline deliver, the N5 will be the best smart phone on the market.

I'd hardly call that 'trashing' ..

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Strange how different people read things differently: the Verge review (not the video) seemed very positive to me. They weren't convinced by battery and camera - but given nothing is ever perfect, you'd expect some negatives in any balanced review of any techno toy - however, the summary basically said, if the camera fixes Google says it has in the pipeline deliver, the N5 will be the best smart phone on the market.

I'd hardly call that 'trashing' ..

Regarding the very wide range of battery results they got, I wonder if The Verge got a bad unit...

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So, the iPhone leaning Verge review is wrong, but the Android-leaning supersaftv is on the money? /smh

um, supersaftv did a side by side direct comparison. the results are what they are. not sure what youre smh about...

and yeah they did hammer it. come on man:

In a word: disappointing.

the camera underperforms constantly and consistently. The Nexus 5 takes photos and video with too little contrast, too little saturation, and too little color (or inconsistent color) ? when you can get the camera to focus at all.

The camera app can be absurdly slow to focus and even slow to launch in the first place, which makes the Nexus 5 as a camera an exercise in frustration.

after a while I simply expected the phone to produce bad results. Side by side with almost any other flagship phone, its camera doesn?t hold up.

you will struggle to take a good photo

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The verge isn't such a great site to visit for reviews. They are always sloppy and inconsistent. Take note of how josh mentioned he was getting inconsistent battery performance.....okay well if that is the case, why would you not allow more time for it to become consistent before posting your review? I'll tell you why, its because it was Monday and they are in the business of click-baiting, not providing solid reviews. Also its worth mentioning no other outlet had problems with the camera...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp6clWG-b5c&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

They are still reporting inconsistency on twitter. There shouldn't be as much variance as they are experiencing.

Also, other outlets have reported some problems with the camera too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's fair. "Trashed it" was probably not the correct phrase. But, I'll say, I wasn't exactly impressed with their initial hands-on.

I'm not sure, why you brought up the fact that he uses an iPhone, lol. I don't really mind what devices they carry. You can be the biggest fanboy of any alternative platform and still give a more objective hands-on.

Because they use both platforms. The guy that wrote the review prefers android, which shoots a hole in the theory that he's biased for apple.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Because they use both platforms. The guy that wrote the review prefers android, which shoots a hole in the theory that he's biased for apple.

um, supersaftv did a side by side direct comparison. the results are what they are. not sure what youre smh about...

and yeah they did hammer it. come on man:

In a word: disappointing.

the camera underperforms constantly and consistently. The Nexus 5 takes photos and video with too little contrast, too little saturation, and too little color (or inconsistent color) ? when you can get the camera to focus at all.

The camera app can be absurdly slow to focus and even slow to launch in the first place, which makes the Nexus 5 as a camera an exercise in frustration.

after a while I simply expected the phone to produce bad results. Side by side with almost any other flagship phone, its camera doesn?t hold up.

you will struggle to take a good photo

Because they're as pro android as you claim the verge to be pro apple.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

That's fair, brother.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire