Those using Otterbox cases and wireless charging, what equipment are you using?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Still have a Defender and the Samsung Wireless Charging Pad. They work just as well as they did on the launch day when I got them.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the standard round Samsung QI Wireless pad. I have tried every position possible. I took off the rubber, and was lucky to get it pick it up then. Then the next time I tried, NOTTA. So no worries. I am going to get the Itian A6 which is supposed to work great with the Otterbox

DrBBerry

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the latest samsung round qi 2 amp charger with defender otter box for note 5. It will work, but requires very precise placement. Even when Ive seen it charging for 20-30 mins, Ive gotten up in the morning and see that it stopped at some point. The phone would be down to 90% already. Its a hit or miss if it will charge all night and not lose connection. I am contemplating taking a hole saw and cutting the back of the otter box case where the internal charging system is. If anyone has done such, please let me know the results. If you are dependent on your phone being charged every morning when you get up, I dont suggest this until something can be figured out.
As for the person above that mentioned Itian A6, it clearly says in their own description "Note:This item not compatible for Samsung Note5 and S6 Edge Plus temporarily,We are working hard to improve it to work for wireless charging. We strongly recommend using a 2A adapter at least,Otherwise it will charging disconnect.
The item is mobile phone universal wireless charging pad,It works with all QI-Enabled devices"
The one I cut and pasted that from is the stronger 2 amp version of their product line. I would assume its the same issue as samsungs coil, it works, but its not reliable.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Since launch day, I have used the Samsung OEM wireless charger with the Otterbox Defender as you can see in my Defender review video. Just placed it on and it works. I must have been very fortunate not to have issues.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the latest samsung round qi 2 amp charger with defender otter box for note 5. It will work, but requires very precise placement. Even when Ive seen it charging for 20-30 mins, Ive gotten up in the morning and see that it stopped at some point. The phone would be down to 90% already. Its a hit or miss if it will charge all night and not lose connection. I am contemplating taking a hole saw and cutting the back of the otter box case where the internal charging system is. If anyone has done such, please let me know the results. If you are dependent on your phone being charged every morning when you get up, I dont suggest this until something can be figured out....

My son and I both have the S6 with an Otterbox Defender case and the round Samsung chargers. His phone/charger is fussy about placement and stops charging occasionally, while my phone/charger is not at all fussy about placement. I tried my phone on his charger and we determined his charger was the issue, not his phone. My charger is the Avengers edition only available in Korea - but you have to avoid the Chinese knock-offs.

Regarding cutting the case - don't bother. Distance is issue, not the case.

DrBBerry

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
From what Ive learned the defender is a little thicker than the commuter series. I believe its reversed as well, commuter has rubber inside case, defender does it outside of case. I still question a holesaw working but it would need to be done to the rubber parts. Rubber is an insulator, you could put a 120 v wire on one side of it, and the current would not go though. But guess well wait till a 3 amp model of something comes out or someone actually tries to modify the rubber case to see if its enough. Im on my 3rd samsung qi coil and its not working. Im sure BestBuy doesn't appreciate all the returns. While I have heard some success stories with commuter cases, I have yet really seen one one defender. While I got it I could try to take the rubber case off and see if that works, but I dont see me doing that every night to charge it, easier at that point just to plug it in.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the latest samsung round qi 2 amp charger with defender otter box for note 5. It will work, but requires very precise placement. Even when Ive seen it charging for 20-30 mins, Ive gotten up in the morning and see that it stopped at some point. The phone would be down to 90% already. Its a hit or miss if it will charge all night and not lose connection. I am contemplating taking a hole saw and cutting the back of the otter box case where the internal charging system is. If anyone has done such, please let me know the results. If you are dependent on your phone being charged every morning when you get up, I dont suggest this until something can be figured out.
As for the person above that mentioned Itian A6, it clearly says in their own description "Note:This item not compatible for Samsung Note5 and S6 Edge Plus temporarily,We are working hard to improve it to work for wireless charging. We strongly recommend using a 2A adapter at least,Otherwise it will charging disconnect.
The item is mobile phone universal wireless charging pad,It works with all QI-Enabled devices"
The one I cut and pasted that from is the stronger 2 amp version of their product line. I would assume its the same issue as samsungs coil, it works, but its not reliable.

Thought you may want to know. I got my Itian A6 Dual coil charger. And it works AMAZING with the Galaxy S6 with the Otterbox Defender on it. Mind you it does have to be turned sideways on the charger to work, but it's flawless that way. No minor adjustments, no precise movement to make it work. I drop it on at night and boom it connects and charges FAST! I did notice one thing though. I HAD to use the cable that came with my S6, the fast charging cable. I used the cable from my S4 and it won't connect.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Thought you may want to know. I got my Itian A6 Dual coil charger. And it works AMAZING with the Galaxy S6 with the Otterbox Defender on it. Mind you it does have to be turned sideways on the charger to work, but it's flawless that way. No minor adjustments, no precise movement to make it work. I drop it on at night and boom it connects and charges FAST! I did notice one thing though. I HAD to use the cable that came with my S6, the fast charging cable. I used the cable from my S4 and it won't connect.

Does the phone get hot?

jedson01

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
OEM Samsung Charger in a defender case, Have to take care where it is placed on the charging pad.

I have the same experience with the commuter case on the round Samsung charger. There are times I just can't find the sweet spot and other times I get on the first try. Works great other than that.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Not at all actually. I put it on before I goto sleep and grab it when I wake up and it's not hot what so ever.

I would fully expect it to have cooled off by the time you wake up as it has probably been done charging for several hours. What I was wondering is how hot it gets while charging - if you let it charge a while and then take it off the pad before it's done. Or check the battery temp from an app.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I would fully expect it to have cooled off by the time you wake up as it has probably been done charging for several hours. What I was wondering is how hot it gets while charging - if you let it charge a while and then take it off the pad before it's done. Or check the battery temp from an app.

I will have to check. At this point I have simply placed it on the charger and gone to sleep. Never checked for heat.
Have you seen reviews that this specific charger has issues with over heating phones?
Or is it the fact it's in the Otterbox that you are worried about with the heat?

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I will have to check. At this point I have simply placed it on the charger and gone to sleep. Never checked for heat.
Have you seen reviews that this specific charger has issues with over heating phones?
Or is it the fact it's in the Otterbox that you are worried about with the heat?

Rapid charging in general can excessively heat the battery and/or charging circuitry. On the S6 Edge, there has been a widely reported problem of the heat from wired rapid charging cooking the accelerometer chip. Even some reports of the same on the S6. Other cases of burst batteries, sometimes resulting in ruined phones. Rapid wireless charging has the same potential if it is creating excessive heat. You would think that before Samsung puts rapid chargers out there, they would have discovered these problems, but perhaps they are such a small percentage that they went undetected in testing, or were some acceptably low percentage.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Rapid charging in general can excessively heat the battery and/or charging circuitry. On the S6 Edge, there has been a widely reported problem of the heat from wired rapid charging cooking the accelerometer chip. Even some reports of the same on the S6. Other cases of burst batteries, sometimes resulting in ruined phones. Rapid wireless charging has the same potential if it is creating excessive heat. You would think that before Samsung puts rapid chargers out there, they would have discovered these problems, but perhaps they are such a small percentage that they went undetected in testing, or were some acceptably low percentage.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I can 100% confirm that the phone is cool as a cucumber even if it's at 40% and I charge it up to say 90, I take it off the wireless charger and even while actively charging the phone remains as cool as can be, no issues what so ever.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I can 100% confirm that the phone is cool as a cucumber even if it's at 40% and I charge it up to say 90, I take it off the wireless charger and even while actively charging the phone remains as cool as can be, no issues what so ever.

That's good, but I'd still check it periodically. If Samsung were on the ball they would set up the charging circuit to shut down if the battery reaches a predetermined temperature.

madcow217

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I know I'm late in the game on this one, but if you have just an S6 or S6 Edge, the original pad will work just fine with an Otterbox Commuter case on it. I've verified this through Samsung, T-Mobile, AND Otterbox (I haven't myself yet, it's in the mail, just ordered it from Amazon for $29.55 bucks) Now the NEWER chargers, with the fast charge, will still work with the previous model phones, are specifically for the Note 5 & S6 Edge+, so far. Granted, they are backwards compatible, so the S4 & S5 will work with both, as long as they have the special back plate to accommodate the wireless charge, as will the S6 & S6 Edge I hope this makes sense...this is my first post on here. My main point in all this research was to make sure that my regular S6 with an Otterbox Commuter cover will work with the original EP-PG920IBUGUS charger, as I was worried about the case. Fingers crossed!

Daniel Harrell

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
I am using the OEM wireless charger that I got with my preorder. Later today, I hope to post my Otterbox Defender case review on my YouTube channel. I will give it a go then and report back. Don't anticipate an issue.

I have a Droid turbo 2 with the otter box case the thick *** one I am using a Qi charger can't get it to charge wireless only had a single coil could this be my problem?

jacktheripper125

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
I ordered the Samsung QI pad and it DOES NOT work through my Otterbox Defender. I read reviews and people all said it was fine.
The only way it works is if I take off the rubber. Anyone else having this issue with the Samsung QI Pad?

my top tip for this is remove the rubber circle, unscrew the plastic top leaving just the coils, now you have removed 1 to 2 mm of plastic from between the phone and the charger it works perfect.
why didnt they just use a sticker instead of plastic!