Tried and true fix for battery issue

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
because as a user do you honestly think you should have to try this bad to get a battery to make it even 15 hours? its stupid. the one thing i noticed is the battery certainly is doing better for me now than 3 days after i started using the ext battery. So some of the better results can just be from normal battery condition and what not and have not impact on this trick. thats why i want to see results AFTER you try this trick.

most people dont have time in the morning to screw around with this daily either so i am sure they want to know if this trick does work do you have to do it everyday or is it a one time conditioning thing

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I only did this trick once. Today I did a normal charge with the same results. I've only had the phone for 4 days so it could be conditioning on the battery or it could be this trick. Hence the reason I did a normal charge on it today, and I'll do a normal tomorrow and see if it works.

I highly doubt it's battery conditioning however considering that before I could squeeze 5-6 hours with everything on the phone turned on, and now I'm looking at 10 hours without a sweat. If I start turning options off it could probably span outwards to 12-14 hours. I'm talking about turning off GPS etc when not being used.

Last edited:

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
because as a user do you honestly think you should have to try this bad to get a battery to make it even 15 hours? its stupid. the one thing i noticed is the battery certainly is doing better for me now than 3 days after i started using the ext battery. So some of the better results can just be from normal battery condition and what not and have not impact on this trick. thats why i want to see results AFTER you try this trick.

most people dont have time in the morning to screw around with this daily either so i am sure they want to know if this trick does work do you have to do it everyday or is it a one time conditioning thing

I agree with everything you're saying with regards to not knowing for sure why or if this is working, and I know we don't all have that much time each morning. I also agree that it's pathetic to have to go to such measures. Hopefully it's something that can and will be fixed.

That being said, I can say anecdotally that I saw major improvement in battery life today.

I also don't believe that it has anything to do with the normal lifecycle of the battery. I got the phone on launch day and saw the battery get a little better on the first two days of use but it has been pretty steady since, until I tried that this morning and saw a substantial increase in the life of my battery.

Plus, even if it's not increasing the life of the battery, there must be some sort of bug. How else could you explain the phone saying it was fully charged, unplugging it, putting it right back on the charger, and then it taking another 20+ minutes to say it's fully charged again...it makes no sense.

I'm going to try this again tomorrow, and then on Monday morning I'll unplug it and leave for work like I always do, with no special tricks, and we'll see what happens.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
to compare...my storm 2 will stay at 100 for a couple hours then start to go down at about 3% an hour. basically the OPPOSITE of this.

so its more or less a glitch in the software or batteries in general have odd characteristics coming from 100% charge

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my phone from Best Buy, it was dead. There wasn't even a pre-charge. The phone wouldn't turn on. He had to use a different battery from one of the on display incredibles. Maybe my battery has been no good from the start, but I definitely notice a difference doing this trick.

EDIT: I forgot to mention he gave me the original batter back after charging it up a bit and seeing that it worked. Also, when my phone is nearing full charge, the charger makes a high pitch scream. Even after getting the charger replaced it still does it.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well after an very long night time to plug it back into the charger. I was on a vanilla charge all day today, meaning I didn't bump charge the phone on this charge. I am now sitting on 12 hours 41m 10sec since unplug. Battery is at 20% now. I think this may work out just nice. Going to do a regular charge on it again with it plugged into the computer and turned on this time. Last time it was turned off and plugged into the wall, and see if I get comparable results. Fingers crossed.

dditzel

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I tried this trick on Friday night, charged all night, got up Sat morning, turned phone off, plugged back in (not sure how long it took to get green again) unplugged @ 7:45 am, made several phone calls, about 20 emails, emailed about 6 pictures, facebook, some txt's and took a dozen or so pictures. used the browser for about 3hrs total, at 1 am, i still had over 40% left, left unplugged all night, woke up this morning and battery was still in the green.. this never lasted this long typically dead by 7pm!!

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Tried this morning... woke up at 7:30... turned phone off, unplugged, turned phone on, turned phone off, plugged back in.... repeated this process probably 10 times so far. It's now 11:30 my time - been 4 hours and still, my light is taking around 20 minutes to go from amber to green. What's the deal...? Isn't it supposed to eventually go to green relatively quickly (almost instantly), and that's when the "process" is "over?"

Am I doing something wrong?

deadlikeoscar

May 4, 2010
Visit site
this has got to be the the most pathetic thing to do to try and get a battery to perform better. especially if you have to do this every time to 'trick' the battery to perform better. just saying

Yeah, I typically get around 17 hours with stock options without doing any tricks. GPS on, Wi-fi on, etc. That was with a live wallpaper too which used about 2% of my battery. I wouldn't classify my usage as "heavy" but my battery does what I need it to and gets me through the day with no need to carry around a charger. Obviously, if I'm playing a game or watching a movie or something the battery isn't going to hold out nearly as long but I don't expect it to. My Storm would go forever without a charge but if my sister started playing Nintaii or something, the battery would be go from 70-80% to the yellow in a couple hours. I'm happy with my battery life but I charged fully before turning it on the first time. I don't know if that helped or not. I hope that we get to the bottom of this battery issue though because a lot of people aren't happy with the battery life. Whether it is a battery issue or (hopefully) a software issue that can be corrected it needs to be fixed soon.

nightfishing#AC

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Tried this morning... woke up at 7:30... turned phone off, unplugged, turned phone on, turned phone off, plugged back in.... repeated this process probably 10 times so far. It's now 11:30 my time - been 4 hours and still, my light is taking around 20 minutes to go from amber to green. What's the deal...? Isn't it supposed to eventually go to green relatively quickly (almost instantly), and that's when the "process" is "over?"

Am I doing something wrong?

Since the battery is 100% charged the first time you try this, the time from red to green has zero to do with additional charging (or anything of that sort). If it took 20 minutes the first time, it should take 20 minutes the 5th (or 10th) time. It is just the cycle the device runs when plugged in.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking that the phone's battery meter may think the battery is fully charged when it isn't. when the phone is turned off, the meter isn't working and the battery can be charged up fully.
Laptop battery meters are the same way. they can become "out of sync" with the battery. Draining the battery then charging usually does the trick to sync them.

However you look at it. A 1 ghz processor draws a lot of power. there are times when my battery is at 75% when I get to work. 45 minutes after removing from the overnight charge. Something was using the processor. Anyjuan know of an app that shows what app is using the processor?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of people don't know that the processor is not always running at 1Ghz. Download the app called System Monitor and watch it, mine underclocks to ~300 mhz when just sitting there watching the monitor, but when I launch something it goes back immediately between there and 1Ghz. So it's not always using full power on the processor.

mritter88

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Charged it overnight and today it seems to be doing better than it had before I tried this little "trick." I can't really compare it to yesterday (the first day of use after using this method) because my usage between the two days is very different.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
will have to do the cycle of battery charge/drain again. i got very excited with in hour of unplugging it, it still said 98% but still have 6hrs of LIGHT use i was dead. or in the orange actually.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Charged it overnight and today it seems to be doing better than it had before I tried this little "trick." I can't really compare it to yesterday (the first day of use after using this method) because my usage between the two days is very different.

My sentiments exactly... battery life yesterday (When I performed the trick) was *outstanding* on moderate use. I got through the whole day with more than 50% battery left when I went to bed.

Today, I decided to just unplug it in the morning without the trick, and battery life is still holding up quite well (not as good as yesterday but I think I'm using it more too).

So maybe this is just a one time fix, or something that needs to be done every so often? Who knows. I'm just happy my battery life is reasonable now.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
After trying the two methods - standard and this new method I can honestly say that the "new" method definitely is better even though its a little bit of a hassle. I'll take the new method. After unhooking my phone using the standard way my phones at 50% after 2 hrs use. For a 500 dollar device, two hrs at 50% is flatout ridiculous. "New" method my battery lasted me all day.

6s1d9

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are able to turn your phone off while charging then do so. It is the answer to all your battery problems. I realize that SOME cannot do this but most of you can. No need to do all this crazy 5 step program JUST to hopefully get a better performance out of their battery. I last charged my phone Friday night until Saturday morning around 7am. It is now Sunday at 3pm and I have over 50% charge left. So once again. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TURN YOUR PHONE OFF WHILE CHARGING. If you can't for whatever reason, well, buy 3 extra batteries.

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have to say... my battery seemed a good bit better yesterday after doing "the trick." Granted, I didn't unplug until noon or something, so MUCH later than normal, but my percentage was at 40 percent around 11:15 pm. To compare, I normally unplug around 8 am, and am dead or dying around 6 pm. My usage was quite comparable, I'd say (though who can really be sure without documenting).

Trying it again today, we'll see how it goes. I'm not normally able to charge my phone while off, but I DID do that the first day my device came in (just waited a while to activate it), and I also did it last night.

Big test will be on Wednesday, when I go to my "other job" and get horrible reception - I'll report back after that, to see how battery life is using this method (in an area with horrible reception).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000