Tried and true fix for battery issue

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Your experience sounds exactly like mine. I stopped bothering with the tricks. I'm just hanging on for that huge 3500 by Seidio at this point. Once I have that, I won't care about battery power again.

I 'chatted' with Seidio support today -- they think the 3500 will be out in a month.

I don' think I could expand the size of the device that much :/ 1750 may have to do it for me.

ezmune

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Verizon ought to sell us the extended battery for like $10.00 since we bought the Incredible....we shouldn't have to pay out MORE $$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Your experience sounds exactly like mine. I stopped bothering with the tricks. I'm just hanging on for that huge 3500 by Seidio at this point. Once I have that, I won't care about battery power again.

I 'chatted' with Seidio support today -- they think the 3500 will be out in a month.

And officially dead :( 3:25 my time... gets me through like half the day :(

I haven't tried the trick from the original post, simply because I don't think that "tricking" the battery in this fashion is something that I'd want to have to do on a daily basis just to enhance my battery life.

Out of curiosity for both of you - are your uptime and awake time the same or different?

I've done ONE thing differently with my phone (other than turning off Bluetooth and WiFi since I'm not using either one) and that's simply to go into Application Manager and turn OFF my calendar immediately after any time I turn my phone OFF (vs. putting it to sleep). You can turn it on AFTER that, but if I don't do that, my phone never sleeps.

I just plugged my phone in to charge this evening so I can have it 100% charge when I go to bed and use it for my alarm clock. I had 35% battery life left, and it had been unplugged for 21 hours and 45 mins.

I wouldn't say I'm a power user of my phone, but I had several phone calls lasting over 15 minutes each (all on speaker phone), texted several times, checked some e-mails and played a game during my breaks. And this is with the stock battery.

So for ME - simply turning off the Calendar after the phone has been off has made a dramatic difference in my battery life. Again - you can turn it back on, it just needs to be turned off one time to allow your phone to go into sleep mode.

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My uptime is always much higher than my awake time, so it is definitely sleeping just fine.

Interesting:

Just did a slow trickle charge via USB on computer, with device turned off the first half, then turned on the second half. When my light went green, I checked battery status, it said 100 percent.

Turned phone off, unplugged it, then plugged it back in and it automatically turned on. Light was orange again. Percentage read at 85% immediately. Obviously, I did not lose 15 percent of my charge just from one reboot.

So, is my device only charging to 85 percent normally?

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
No, definitely not :( You an ex-BB user as well?

I have my old BB plugged in by my bed in bedside mode at all time now, using that as my alarm clock for the past couple nights, LOL.

Really wish our Incredibles would allow us to do that :(

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Ya. It kind of sucks. I've tried the alarm while phone off but didn't know if there was an option somewhere. And yes, I came from a bb tour. Loved it but the os is old and the atrocious browser speed.

Also my trackpad thing seems slow and not smooth. Is this normal?

Last edited:

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure, I never use my trackpad. Maybe check in the thread for BB users switching over? Sorry, I'm no help with this one.

After I let my device charge back up to 100, I tried turning off, unplugging, plugging back in, then turning on again to see percentage - it read as 100 when it booted back up.

So, I turned off, unplugged, booted back up, and it was at 98 percent. It seems reasonable that the boot process could suck up 2 percent of battery. However, after I booted, I immediately locked the device, waited 4 minutes to check again, and I had lost an additional 4 percent in those 4 minutes. No clue what this means, could that just be associated with the fact that I had just rebooted, and it was syncing everything which took up a percent per minute for 4 minutes, or could it be that the higher percentage points in the battery leak like crazy? Or, still just calibration?

GF has the Eris, so I'll try charging my battery in her device soon.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried the trick from the original post, simply because I don't think that "tricking" the battery in this fashion is something that I'd want to have to do on a daily basis just to enhance my battery life.

Try this at least once! I did this ONE time, and my battery life has been eons better since then, even WITHOUT doing it every morning. Seriously, it was in all practical terms a *fix* for my battery drain.

I still intend to do it once in a while just to make sure I'm getting the full charge, but I haven't done it in days and my battery has been lasting throughout the day with no problem.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Try this at least once! I did this ONE time, and my battery life has been eons better since then, even WITHOUT doing it every morning. Seriously, it was in all practical terms a *fix* for my battery drain.

I still intend to do it once in a while just to make sure I'm getting the full charge, but I haven't done it in days and my battery has been lasting throughout the day with no problem.

Yup same here. I did it one time and now I just charge it from the computer. About once a week I plan on doing the "trick" on like a Saturday when I don't need the phone with the wall outlet just for the heck of it.

Literally this "trick"/"fix" whatever you want to call it at least doubled my battery life. I leave GPS/WiFi and mobile network on all day along with live wallpapers and heavy usage and I still get 10 hours without breaking a sweat and even then the phone doesn't need a charge yet. Normally still has 25-30% left.

I just can't believe people won't at least try it once, I'm sure everyones mileage may vary, but there are too many people saying it works to not give it a try once, even before you buy an extended battery.

aug0211#WN

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
^Yup, as he said, definitely give it a try... but YMMV. Worst case scenario, your battery stays sucky and you shell out the 50 for an extended 1750, or go bigger! But there's a definite chance it could help, so go for it!

wavechaser

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Or as I have said multiple times over, Just turn your phone OFF then charge it. I'm not trying to come across rude but am just trying to save you guys the hassle. Seriously, who wants to do a 5 step method just to charge your cell phone?? And their will be some that say they need their phone for an alarm, I say go to wal mart and spend the $13 on an actual alarm clock.
I turn it OFF and put my phone on the charger when I go to bed around 10:10pm give or take, then when I wake up around 7:30am give or take I unplug it, turn it on and it lasts me the entire day. I wouldn't say I enthrall my self in the phone all day but I do use it pretty frequently and have ZERO battery issues.

Do none of you people worry about missing emergency phone calls? What if a family member needed to get a hold of you in the middle of the night due to an emergency?

I'm sorry, but the whole "just turn your phone off while charging", seems like a worse "fix" than the "battery rain dance".

I guess maybe if you have a landline, but who owns those anymore?

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Do none of you people worry about missing emergency phone calls? What if a family member needed to get a hold of you in the middle of the night due to an emergency?

I'm sorry, but the whole "just turn your phone off while charging", seems like a worse "fix" than the "battery rain dance".

that is my thought too, i have a landline but only a few people have that number. If people need me for an emergency, my cell is all most people have.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Ditto - I got rid of my land line years ago - my cell is my only phone - I'm not turning it off at night just to charge it.

Besides, after darn near 22 hours of battery life yesterday (without charging the phone while off), I don't think turning it off is really necessary.

You do the voodoo that you do, and I'll do the voodoo that I do (which for me is simply making sure my phone goes into sleep mode to preserve my battery life).

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: emergency contact in the middle of the night

I leave my phone on, but with the ringer off. I figure if someone is in the hospital or something like that then a few hours notice isn't going to make much difference. If there was an app that would allow you to block all calls (except ones from your "allow calls in" list), I would run that and leave the ringer on. Until that shows up... no thanks.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, Android doesn't really have a good solution to the bedside problem. BB's bedside mode was great... you could set it so only your phone went off. All Android needs is one more profile (Normal, Silent, Vibrate, and then Bedside) that makes it so it mutes all notifications except for phone. Right now I just put it on vibrate which works well enough, however the battery problem doesn't help things.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, Android doesn't really have a good solution to the bedside problem. BB's bedside mode was great... you could set it so only your phone went off. All Android needs is one more profile (Normal, Silent, Vibrate, and then Bedside) that makes it so it mutes all notifications except for phone. Right now I just put it on vibrate which works well enough, however the battery problem doesn't help things.

Have you looked into an app called Profile, yet?

I don't have it installed atm, but when I did I created my own bedside profile.

rew001

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
this has got to be the the most pathetic thing to do to try and get a battery to perform better. especially if you have to do this every time to 'trick' the battery to perform better. just saying

There is no freakin way I'm doing this every morning.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: emergency contact in the middle of the night

I leave my phone on, but with the ringer off. I figure if someone is in the hospital or something like that then a few hours notice isn't going to make much difference. If there was an app that would allow you to block all calls (except ones from your "allow calls in" list), I would run that and leave the ringer on. Until that shows up... no thanks.

Some how society did not crumble without telephones and emergency contact methods at 3am. I think society will survive if you turn your phone off
so if your mom/dad or brother/sis or even son/daughter are taken to the hospital you dont want to know about that right away, 5-8 hours is OK to have people constantly trying to reach you telling you they are dying?

edit: you both might have landlines i guess that hopefully they would be able to call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana