Trojan found in more than 100 Android apps on Google Play Store

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say if installing an antivirus app would be helpful, because the antivirus app would need to have that particular malware in its database. On top of that, there are also purported antivirus apps available that are themselves shady.

The article mentions that these malicious apps carrying the adware were "bogus versions of popular Android applications." This underscores the importance of looking at who the developer is (making sure that it's the legitimate developer for a well-established app, rather than some unknown dev of a knockoff) and reading through reviews carefully. Fake positive reviews can be easy to spot--look for reviews that seem more detailed, rather than blindly effusive with praise.

rocknrollover

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Ya but I thought getting apps from play store was the safest way to get apps so much for that.

Posted via the Android Central App on my ZTE Zmax 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to find one of these to install on my Nexus 5.

Edit: Woo hoo! Found one!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ya but I thought getting apps from play store was the safest way to get apps so much for that.

Posted via the Android Central App on my ZTE Zmax 2

It's still the safest way. 100% safe, no (nothing is 100% safe, not even the Apple Appstore)--but safest compared to other sources. Malware like this surfaces from time to time, because it's difficult for any company to stay way ahead of the malware curve. Now that Google knows, I'm sure they'll purge the Play Store of any of these apps, and add that malware to its list of known threats.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's still the safest way. 100% safe, no (nothing is 100% safe, not even the Apple Appstore)--but safest compared to other sources. Malware like this surfaces from time to time, because it's difficult for any company to stay way ahead of the malware curve. Now that Google knows, I'm sure they'll purge the Play Store of any of these apps, and add that malware to its list of known threats.

I think Google has already pulled most if not all. I had a hard time finding anything. And what I found wasn't on Play

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796