Unlock, root and install custom Rom on Hboot 1.5 in (3) steps.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Unlock, root and install custom Rom on Hboot 1.5 in (3) steps

Redownload Reborn 1.1 that one sounds like a bad download.

Tilley90

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

That makes sense cause it took about 3 hours to download it lol. I'll try it again later today or would you guys recommend a different version?

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense cause it took about 3 hours to download it lol. I'll try it again later today or would you guys recommend a different version?

It's all a personal thing but saying that I always ran Scott's senseless from. That is my recommendation :)

Sent from my Dooderbutt powered Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Tilley90

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, I have it working now and it was a bad download. I have one more question, can I overclock my phone using the htc method of unlocking the bootloader that was mentioned in the first post, or do I have to unlock it using the revolutionary method? I've been seeing s-off and s-on a lot and I have no idea what it means

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I have it working now and it was a bad download. I have one more question, can I overclock my phone using the htc method of unlocking the bootloader that was mentioned in the first post, or do I have to unlock it using the revolutionary method? I've been seeing s-off and s-on a lot and I have no idea what it means

First off do you have hboot 1.4 or 1.5? That will determine the method used. If you have 1.5 you don't have a choice in the matter, you will have to use the HTC method. That means you will officially be letting HTC and Sprint know what you are doing and your warranty will be forever void. Also it makes it a little more difficult to flash things like different radio's and kernels. If you have 1.4 then you can use revolutionary and get S off and flash whatever however whenever you want with ability of reverting back to normal should you have a need to go into sprint with hardware issues that are covered under warranty.

And this is pretty much my feelings on the HTC method put into words by azrienoch from xda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LjfhjPJEro&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is just one of the several reasons I now have a Nexus S awaiting the Galaxy Nexus to come out on Sprint. All I have to do to root my phone is go into fastboot, open a command terminal and type “fastboot oem unlock”. Flash a customer recovery and install SU and bam I have a rooted phone ready for all the AOSP goodness Devs can supply :) I am rocking ICS on my Nexus and EVERYTHING works perfectly and I love it. I
Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

if your on the new base 2.17 there isnt any OC'ed kernels yet HTC hasnt released the source code yet.if your on base 2.08 there are kernels you can flash.get the app FlashImage GUI off the market and it makes flashing kernels simple.its not a big thing anymore to have hboot 1.5
and as far as warranty i've had my phone replaced twice already without any problems thru sprint

https://market.android.com/details?...DUwMSwiY29tLmpvZXlrcmltLmZsYXNoaW1hZ2VndWkiXQ..

Tilley90

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

if your on the new base 2.17 there isnt any OC'ed kernels yet HTC hasnt released the source code yet.if your on base 2.08 there are kernels you can flash.get the app FlashImage GUI off the market and it makes flashing kernels simple.its not a big thing anymore to have hboot 1.5
and as far as warranty i've had my phone replaced twice already without any problems thru sprint

https://market.android.com/details?...DUwMSwiY29tLmpvZXlrcmltLmZsYXNoaW1hZ2VndWkiXQ..

Thank you. The sprint guys I go to know me and my whole family by name and always helps us out as far as replacing phones, so hopefully that's not an issue. And if the base your talking about is the same as the Build number, then it's 2.08

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Thank you. The sprint guys I go to know me and my whole family by name and always helps us out as far as replacing phones, so hopefully that's not an issue. And if the base your talking about is the same as the Build number, then it's 2.08

That's cool I have the same situation here at my store. I just want people who are not as lucky as you and I to know what they are getting themselves into by unlocking 1.5 via the HTC method. :banghead:

Sent from my Dooderbutt powered Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I had a failure on my hboot 1.4 EVO 3D and am getting a replacement which will undoubtedly have hboot 1.5. My question is this... in the original post:
7. Type the following command in the command prompt: fastboot boot cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img and press enter.
I presume I could use a different recovery (e.g. TWRP) if I put it in the same directory and in the command line replace "cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img" with the file name of the alternative recovery? (I don't have any particular preference for TWRP over CWM, it's just that I'm familiar with TWRP but not CWM.)

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a failure on my hboot 1.4 EVO 3D and am getting a replacement which will undoubtedly have hboot 1.5. My question is this... in the original post:

I presume I could use a different recovery (e.g. TWRP) if I put it in the same directory and in the command line replace "cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img" with the file name of the alternative recovery? (I don't have any particular preference for TWRP over CWM, it's just that I'm familiar with TWRP but not CWM.)

Yes, just substitute the correct file name.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, and one more question... It seems like the hardest part of this process for many users is to get adb to work and talk to your EVO. Is it possible to avoid using adb and a Windows PC entirely by doing the following:

1. Unlock bootloader via HTC's website (step 1 in the original post).
  2. Download ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery to your computer. Rename the file PG86IMG.ZIP.
  3. Download Superuser (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip) to your computer.
  4. Download your preferred custom ROM (e.g. CleanROM) to your computer.
  5. Transfer these 3 files to the root directory of your SD card by one of these methods
    1. Remove your SD card from your EVO, mount it as an external drive using an SD card reader, transfer files, eject card and reinstall it into your EVO
    2. (easier) Mount your EVO as an external drive via the USB cable, transfer files, eject EVO.
  6. Power up your EVO with the volume-down button depressed.
  7. Agree to let the bootloader flash the PG86IMG.ZIP file (which is your custom recovery). I'm not sure about this (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think the stock recovery will only flash a file named PG86IMG.ZIP.
  8. Power down EVO.
  9. Power up EVO normally (without volume-down button depressed).
  10. Delete or rename the PG86IMG.ZIP file using your favorite Android file explorer. (This is needed so it doesn't get flashed again.) Alternatively, remount your SD card as an external drive as discussed in step 5 and delete/rename the file from your computer.
  11. Power down EVO.
  12. Power up your EVO with the volume-down button depressed.
  13. Flash su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip using your custom recovery (ClockworkMod or TWRP).
  14. (Not sure if this step is needed) Power down and power back up with the volume-down button depressed.
  15. Flash your preferred custom ROM using your custom recovery.
  16. Power down EVO.
  17. Power up EVO normally.

Please no one try this until "approved" by someone who knows far more about this process than I do!

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

well to start .on hboot 1.5 you will need to flash the boot.img of the rom your going to flash.here is a very good tool to that just follow the instructions and you'll be golden

CleanFLASH 1.0 - Downloads - Scott's ROMS

i attatched a a tool that will install twrp 1.1.1 recovery for you, very simple just extract it open it and run the just do it,bat

if your going to flash a custom rom no need to flash su cuz the rom will include su
so once you unlock boot to system and use the tool i attached, as far as putting the rom on the sdcard you can use your usb cable to

i sure you will need a pc of some sort to do this , i dont see anyway around it, you will need it to unlock your bootloader for sure

Last edited:
Reactions: bobodobo

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. Actually I've got a bigger problem.... I can't unlock the bootloader at all. But that's a topic for another blog.

Edit: got that problem fixed... kinda bizarre but here's how it went down.

Last edited:

madmaxxx123

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if I did something wrong here. I rooted using the method described by the OP but when I turn on the hotpot feature, it drops the 4G and only works in 3G. When I turn off the hotspot, it jumps back to 4G with full signal. Does anyone have the same problem?

madmaxxx123

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Clean ROM has the apps already installed. Use either Wifi Tether or the Sprint Hotspot. (Sprint hotspot will not tether 4g but Wifi Tether will). So you are already all set to go!

Thanks Tommymsw. I see you mentioned that here. Which Wifi Tether do you use for this? From Android Market? I am very new to this rooting.

Appreciate any suggestion in advance!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson