Unresponsive black screen

Bob R1

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have my Tmobile S7 for 4 days. All has been fine until this afternoon, when the screen would not turn on. The phone was not hot, cool to the touch, and I connected it to a charger for a while to top it off, in case the power had drained.

The capacitive keys lit up, the speaker worked, but the screen was black and unresponsive to touches. I could hear the phone ring, so behind the black screen I think all else was working.

I called Tmobile and went through 4 layers of customer service, all the reps were super friendly and polite, but none were able to troubleshoot the problem. The only solution they suggested was holding down volume up, power and home button, which did not work. One of the reps said she is seeing a number of calls with this issue, but not enough to call it a "known" issue.

To make a long story short, they are overnighting a new phone, which is fine with me.

Last night I did more research online, and tried power button-volume down combo, and that did the trick. I don't know yet if it was a hardware, or firmware, or app fault, but if it happens on the new phone I can narrow it down to firmware or an app not working well with Marshmallow.

The interesting thing is that all 4 reps made the same point: They wanted to make sure that I had a brand new working phone as soon as possible, and thanked me for being a long time customer (back to voicestream days).

I will load the same software packages on the new phone and see if the same problem occurs.

Jo Kat

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
My S7 did the same thing last night and froze up. I returned it to Best Buy this morning and cancelled my contract with Sprint. After the Samsung representative was able to hard reboot it he said I may have had a faulty phone. Sounds like there are more than a few people with the same problem.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My S7 did the same thing last night and froze up. I returned it to Best Buy this morning and cancelled my contract with Sprint. After the Samsung representative was able to hard reboot it he said I may have had a faulty phone. Sounds like there are more than a few people with the same problem.

Cancelled your contract?

siletzspey

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Five days in on a new S7 and I got the black screen too. I could hear beeps while hitting some buttons, the bottom buttons would occasionally light up, and the phone would sound off when I called myself. Clearly the phone was operating, and it was just the display that was out.

I see the S6 had a famous "black screen of death" issue, so I followed the "volume down + power" button trick, and the phone soon went into a boot-up prompt. I landed on the "2) Factory Reset" option, but using the volume up button got to the "1) Normal Boot" option, and pressed the home key to do it. My phone is operating correctly now.

This is my first Samsung, but it looks like the S7 retains the S6 Black Screen of Death issue :-(

--SiletzSpey

rshotttt

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Exact same thing happened to me this morning. I've had this phone for 10 days and the screen just went black and wont boot. Buttons still work, volume rocker makes sound...

jtischle

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Day 5 and this happened to me as well. Verizon told me to hold down the power button for 10 seconds but that did not help. The above answer helped: hold "volume down + power" button and the phone went into a boot-up prompt. I hit volume up button to get to the "1) Normal Boot" option, and pressed the home key to select it. Phone booted up with no issues.

Verizon told me to return the phone within 14 days if it does it again. Great.

caseminole

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
theres a Youtube video to correct this exact issue!

Do a YouTube search for string "s7 black screen"

i tried to embed the link, its not working, but someone shows how to do this.

why is this happening any ideas?

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
yea the volume down and power button trick definitely works, and it hasn't happened again so far. i hope an update will fix this because the phone is a beast otherwise.

Posted via the Android Central App

Matt Valenzuela

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Jo Kat - I'm a Sprint Product Ambassador and want to try and help. Is there something about Sprint that you feel caused the black screen issue? Trying to understand why you cancelled your contract with us over a device level issue.

evanj6661

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I have had the s7 edge for 6 days and have just encountered this black screen. After reading this post on my old phone, i tried the holding power home and power DOWN button while having it plugged in to charge and immediately after the combo of buttons the charging symbol appeared!! Not sure what this issue is but is pretty scary not being able to remove battery...feel somewhat helpless even though it didn't help this stuff anyways.

Glad the power, home, volume down works and didn't affect phone data whatsoever!

Thanks and will keep a closer look at this thread as problems inevitably emerg...

FeistyVixen85

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Did anyone else in this forum put that keep screen off display feature on the phone?

I just had this happen and i have had my phone 13 days now. The only thing i did with my phone today out of the norm stuff was try one of the display features that says keep screen off, which is only supposed to make it so the phone doesn't "accidentally turn on while in your pocket or bag" if you don't have a lock screen on it. and i went to the movies had it in my purse went to take it out and no screen would display at all. so i did the " power+home+vol up (because vol down) didn't do anything and got it to show reboot screen finally.

I think it has to do with that display feature, but as soon as it rebooted i went and turned that feature OFF. let me know if anyone else turned that feature on and then got the black screen problem.

RIPmys7

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Another S7 user reporting in... Exact same issue. I was able to fix the issue through rebooting but this is strange. Considering going to swap the phone but seems to be a software issue so this might not help. What are you all planning to do to either fix the issue or return the phone?

IanHerndon

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Did anyone else in this forum put that keep screen off display feature on the phone?

I just had this happen and i have had my phone 13 days now. The only thing i did with my phone today out of the norm stuff was try one of the display features that says keep screen off, which is only supposed to make it so the phone doesn't "accidentally turn on while in your pocket or bag" if you don't have a lock screen on it. and i went to the movies had it in my purse went to take it out and no screen would display at all. so i did the " power+home+vol up (because vol down) didn't do anything and got it to show reboot screen finally.

I think it has to do with that display feature, but as soon as it rebooted i went and turned that feature OFF. let me know if anyone else turned that feature on and then got the black screen problem.

You are leaning in the same direction as me. Fine a few days till today I enabled that screen setting. Today I had to fix the blank screen issue with the vol/pwr fix everyone has mentioned.

jma78b

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
This happened to me yesterday day 15 and again this morning. I remembered the power button and volume button reboot thank God. Tomorrow is 2 weeks with the phone. Don't know if it's a phone issue or firmware. Bought it directly from Samsung. Along with the Bluetooth issue and just sold my S6 on eBay kinda worried I'm going to be phone less for a while eeeekkkk!

evanj6661

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I had that setting to detect in pocket ON when the black screen happened.
Have not changed the setting and phone has not done black screen since the first scare...
Strange volume down worked for me and volume up for you and others.

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I just had the black screen happen to me this time in my pocket. I pulled it out, phone was warm, and wouldn't turn on. I checked and I have the display setting off for "dark places and pockets".

Make it so.

yunique

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
do your capacitive buttons still light up and do you still hear notifications? if so try holding volume down and power until your phone reboots

rhartford

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Houston we've got a problem !!!
Bought (2) Verizon Galaxy S7 phones & within a few days my phone crashed while configuring the compass app which did not work correctly. The phone would not reboot so I took it to the store to get a replacement. The salesman did the "Volume Down/Home/Power" reboot & it turned back on but the compass was still broken (motion detector) but got a replacement anyway.
Tonight my wife's phone also crashed & I did the system reboot & it turned back on but I'll bring it back to the store tomorrow before the 14 day window ends. Both phones crashed after the new software upgrade. hmmm ...

chanch16

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much. I had the same problem of the unresponsive screen and thanks to your note on hitting the volume down and power button , it got resolved

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny