US Cellular & Potential for Verizon Unlock???

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a semi-local US Cellular store. They said they have no problem selling phones at full retail with no contract.

So that's (potentially) step one, right? Then, the question becomes unlocking the phone and, if possible, getting it work on Verizon's network.

I've no experience with this kind of thing, which is why I started a post for discussion about how and if something like this might be possible. My wife (and probably myself) might consider buying one from another carrier if there are reports that it is possible to make it work on Verizon.

Thoughts?

yogi1574

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
sweet!!!

best merge news i have heard so far!!!
since its the same hardware it should likely work on VZW i will give a tech a call tomorrow and see what he has to say about it and post here as soon as i know!!

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You might be able to get it onto Verizon with Open Access: Check Your Device

If you want this phone bad enough to either buy it retail from a US Cellular store (or find a friend with one in their area to buy it for you) it could be worth a shot.

yogi1574

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
so i spoke with verizon tech today and to sum it up quickly, it might work but it might not so if you can get a hold of it with a return option should it not work(such as a 30 day return) then i would go for it, thats what i plan on doing and since the software should be on verizons system for them to flash it.
if not then i would return it and cross my fingers something decent comes out.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
so i spoke with verizon tech today and to sum it up quickly, it might work but it might not so if you can get a hold of it with a return option should it not work(such as a 30 day return) then i would go for it, thats what i plan on doing and since the software should be on verizons system for them to flash it.
if not then i would return it and cross my fingers something decent comes out.

Apparently, there's a US cellular store in Maryland that's about 39 min from my college so it's doable. Sadly, I'll be gone in two weeks and that 39 min would change to an hour and 25 min away when I go home. Decisions, decisions...:p

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, there's a US cellular store in Maryland that's about 39 min from my college so it's doable. Sadly, I'll be gone in two weeks and that 39 min would change to an hour and 25 min away when I go home. Decisions, decisions...:p

Sounds like you need to challenge someone to a pants off dance off to make this decision. I suggest a homeless dude. :-\

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you need to challenge someone to a pants off dance off to make this decision. I suggest a homeless dude. :-\

HA! I know...I'm hoping for a subsidized price on VZW though...500+ (estimation) bucks for this phone sounds like a hefty proposition and I wouldn't have the money for it anyway, not for a while at least. The fact that a store is indeed within reach though is good...in case i decide to throw caution to the wind and save up for a month or two.

Last edited:

Blackmitch12

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
What's up with verizon?

Whats up with Verizon these days? I have been reading in this forums and others for months about the HTC Merge. I been cruising for a real good slider phone for a while. It seems that Verizon does not think that having any real selection of sliders available is not cost effective, chatting with many Verizon sales persons. Well now we talking about rigging a US Cellular phone to work on Verizon's network. How come Verizon will not respond to us and or wants? Don't they what or business. The slider people that are on Verizon are deprived. All we have is that horrible Droid Global keyboard. If you can call it one.:mad:

brownel02

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has 3 or 4 good slider phones and VZW only has one marginal (Droid 2). I am sure it is a great phone but the the wife doesnot like the keyboard. Holding out hope for the Merge

mercury694

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that Sprint Windows 7 phone from HTC has a fantastic keyboard. The Samsung Galaxy S one is android and also has a nice kb. While I am not interested in a windows 7 phone, it does show what HTC is capable of as far as hardware.

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Whats up with Verizon these days? I have been reading in this forums and others for months about the HTC Merge. I been cruising for a real good slider phone for a while. It seems that Verizon does not think that having any real selection of sliders available is not cost effective, chatting with many Verizon sales persons. Well now we talking about rigging a US Cellular phone to work on Verizon's network. How come Verizon will not respond to us and or wants? Don't they what or business. The slider people that are on Verizon are deprived. All we have is that horrible Droid Global keyboard. If you can call it one.:mad:

Yes, Mitch...let the anger and hate fill you...come to the Dark Side...we have cookies!

:)

But honestly...I agree 100%...

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
It seems like every thread on here ends up with someone ranting about Verizon not releasing the phone. Same with the news articles.

Just a humorous observation.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that Sprint Windows 7 phone from HTC has a fantastic keyboard. The Samsung Galaxy S one is android and also has a nice kb. While I am not interested in a windows 7 phone, it does show what HTC is capable of as far as hardware.

Sadly, if that phone came to VZW instead of the Trophy, I'd switch platforms just for that keyboard... Sucks but true.

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It seems like every thread on here ends up with someone ranting about Verizon not releasing the phone. Same with the news articles.

Just a humorous observation.

:(

Sorry...just developing a LOT of hate here.

Worst part is, after looking over the other verizon choices, and pondering exactly how big the Inc2 my be...VZ could be pushing me, the man who loathes Apple, to the iphone...simply because it isn't the size of a mini tablet...and THAT thought scares the crap out of me :(

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
:(

Sorry...just developing a LOT of hate here.

Worst part is, after looking over the other verizon choices, and pondering exactly how big the Inc2 my be...VZ could be pushing me, the man who loathes Apple, to the iphone...simply because it isn't the size of a mini tablet...and THAT thought scares the crap out of me :(

I'm similarly considering switching to a full touchscreen device. I'm tempted to just go with the Samsung Fascinate as I'm a bit of a TouchWiz fan and won't support HTC's bootloader encryption. (The Merge was too good to pass up, so it got a pass from me XD)

It would be cool if we saw it on Thursday like the Dinc2 is supposed to be, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

jtowndawg

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who's already got the phone on Alltel willing to check for us? Pretty please? =)

I hate to bring bad news but I wen to the link and entered my phone info and this is what I got.

The Device ID you entered is not valid. Please try again or contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 for assistance.:(

jtowndawg

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I would have thought the Alltel phone would have worked before any of the others. I rechecked the ID and reentered it and got the same thing.

jtowndawg

May 31, 2010
Visit site
One more interesting thing. I just went to the HTC site looking to see if they have the Merge on there yet (they don't). So I registered my phone with them and it showed up as a Lexicon D6. They also don't list Alltel as a carrier of their phones so that might be why they don't list it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds