V20 vs G5

truck1985

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at replacing mine and my wife's phones. I'm torn between the G5 and the V20. For those of you that chose the V20 over the G5, or perhaps chose to switch to the V20 from the G5, what made you pick the V20 over the G5?

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at replacing mine and my wife's phones. I'm torn between the G5 and the V20. For those of you that chose the V20 over the G5, or perhaps chose to switch to the V20 from the G5, what made you pick the V20 over the G5?

I think it depends on the size. If you can handle the size I would go with the v20. I think the g5 is an underrated phone. I enjoy the screen and build of the v20 much better.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, the V20 offers Hi-Fi Quad DAC audio playback with the promise of hi-resoltion audio and support for all of the lossless standards. The V20 also sports a slightly larger display which is a big plus for some people, especially when running Nougat's split screen mode. Some may not like the whole 'Modular' thing and the biggest problem with the LG G5 is it's design. It looks fine in pictures, but pick it up and the dodgy metallic/plastic body is just odd. :)

So i would say get the V20. Super premium and lovely to use. :D

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty, now that both has nougat.. there really is no difference besides the DAC, manual photos and wide angle selfies.. other than that it's basically the same. My wife has the G5 and loves it. I have the V20 and love it. I've had the chance to mess with both. The G5 reviews were bad, but the phone isn't. Especially with Nougat.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I had the G5 and jumped to the V20. The G5 is great, however it would have been better if it wasn't designed around MODS.

My initial reasons for upgrading were Quad DAC and bigger screen.

The screen is better visuallly on the V20. The auto brightness was flakely on the G5, but eventually I got it to work right.

Both phones are blazing fast and no lagjust like any other phone they could hiccup on occasion

Both phones have great cameras and I didn't have any issues in Auto, however I don't shoot fast moving kids.... they make great targets but I hear that's illegal.

The Quad DAC is amazing and old music sounds new again because you can hear things you never heard before. It is even better with good or great headphones.

Battery Life is better on the V20 but never an issue with the G5 as I had extra batteries and the Fast Charging is great. Drawback on G5, at least on Verizon models is that it doen's like USB C to USB C cables. I actually had a after market charger that worked on the G5 that stopped working after an update because it is C to C. That same charger works on my V20. It could be that Verizon killed the USB 3.0 ability on the G5 because I seem to recall other models supporting more chargers.

If I had to make the decision today it would still be jump to V20 but for additional reasons:

Quad DAC
Bigger Screen
Brighter Screen
Bigger Battery
Better Build
Better Charging cable support
Better Looking (subjective)

If I think of anything else, I will update you.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, now that both has nougat.. there really is no difference besides the DAC, manual photos and wide angle selfies.. other than that it's basically the same. My wife has the G5 and loves it. I have the V20 and love it. I've had the chance to mess with both. The G5 reviews were bad, but the phone isn't. Especially with Nougat.

You are right. I think the g5 was the most underrated phone of last year.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
V20. Nougat is worth it. But it is a big phone so that would be the only reason to go with the g5 if she's not into big phones. Also I've heard that the V20 is on a great deal right now.

truck1985

May 23, 2013
Visit site
My wife currently has the HTC One and I have the Galaxy Note 3. I'm okay with the size of the V20, but was wondering if it was really worth the extra $100.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My wife currently has the HTC One and I have the Galaxy Note 3. I'm okay with the size of the V20, but was wondering if it was really worth the extra $100.

It depends on what you value most. There are a lot of features I like for 100 dollars, however your mileage may vary.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

G5 better at:
Photo quality
Faster browsing
Less lag
Battery life

I'm very disappointed with the V20. I've had 3 replaced. I got t-mobile to extend my buyers remorse period so I could return this one for a full refund. I purchased a new one two days ago for the promo price 360$. That's about all the phone is worth to me.

Brent Michael

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
G5 better at:
Photo quality
Faster browsing
Less lag
Battery life

I'm very disappointed with the V20. I've had 3 replaced. I got t-mobile to extend my buyers remorse period so I could return this one for a full refund. I purchased a new one two days ago for the promo price 360$. That's about all the phone is worth to me.
You seem to have some bad luck. I'm loving my V20. Never really had any problems. The only time I've had lag was when I first setup the phone when I was downloading all my apps back.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
G5 better at:
Photo quality
Faster browsing
Less lag
Battery life

I'm glad that you were able to get a full refund. Your luck is terrible. I saw you complain about the Pixel as well.. the only constant is you and wherever you are and whatever you're doing with the phone..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
G5 better at:
Photo quality
Faster browsing
Less lag
Battery

I had the G5 before the V20 and here are ny thoughts on your comments:

Photo quality is similar

No way is the battery better on the G5.
The only normal reason the V20 would eat battery faster than the G5 is if the Quad DAC is being used especially at high output.

Lag and browser speed are virtually the same. I couldn't tell one from the other, however that is very subjective.
I'll see if I can do a side by side test with a G5 somewhere to confirm.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
One other thing to consider is price. The G5 will certainly be cheaper than the V20, especially with the G6 coming out soon.

I've had the G5 since last June, and I'm perfectly happy with it. In fact, I'm not getting the "itch" for a new phone now...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nekopoimodapk