Verizon Galaxy Nexus (Prime) Waiting Room

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't the Nexus 1 the first to launch with Eclair 2.1? Not sure if that is a major release but I definitely see your point. The Nexus S was the first to launch with Gingerbread 2.3 though. Without more information who knows exactly how it will play out.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't the Nexus 1 the first to launch with Eclair 2.1? Not sure if that is a major release but I definitely see your point. The Nexus S was the first to launch with Gingerbread 2.3 though. Without more information who knows exactly how it will play out.

Yes, you are definitely right, but I'm referring to huge, major updates - x.o rather than 2.x.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
So you are meaning a complete overhaul of the OS? Well in that respect then yes, I would definitely agree with you on that. That hasn't happened but a couple of times.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
As big as ICS will be I also dont see it launching on anything other than a Nexus. I hope it is a Nexus and not a droid. Also wasn't the OG Droid out before they even thought of the Nexus concept? It would be cool if this is like a new Nexus line that way if it is indeed a Droid Prime which I doubt, it could be like the Nexus's Droid Pime, with other carriers as well putting there little twist/branding to the name. I just really want it to be a pure Nexus experience.

Last edited:

nbajam

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As big as ICS will be I also dont see it launching on anything other than a Nexus. I hope it is a Nexus and not a droid. Also wasn't the OG Droid out before they even thought of the Nexus concept? It would be cool if this is like a new Nexus line that way if it is indeed a Droid Prime which I doubt, it could be like the Nexus's Droid Pime, with other carriers as well putting there little twist/branding to the name. I just really want it to be a pure Nexus experience.

Even though others have explained that major releases are in fact, usually not nexus devices (but are still vanilla android), you think that's suddenly going to change? That's dedication.

The Nexus One was released within months of the OG Droid launching 2.0, and I believe it was announced formally shortly after the OG launched.

The only downside to the phone not being a nexus is that updates won't come straight from Google, but with it being unlocked (like the OG and Xoom) it really doesn't matter.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Actually here is why it could change. I think Google wants this to be their phone that dethrones the Iphone, something the previous 2 Nexus devices has never even come close to doing. This could actually help Google and Verizon. Verizon did an amazing job marketing the Droid line. They did it so well that people automatically think Droid when the hear an Android phone. Can't tell you how many people have told me that they have a "Droid Phone" when in reality they did not. With Verizon's network, and a huge marketing campaign what better way to launch a Nexus device? It would catapult ICS into the market, it will definitely be a huge boost to Verizon. So much of a boost they would probably be willing to give Google full control over the phone like they do with the traditional Nexus line. It would help Google by having arguably the strongest mobile partner, so why not Verizon branding? I'm sure a lot of hardcore Android fans on other networks would be willing to jump ship to get this monster of a phone, on one of the best networks out there regardless of what's it's called if it stays true to being a Nexus. Also Verizon would not have to rely on the Iphone for strong sales, like AT&T had to do for years. It could be a you scratch my back, I scratch yours type of deal. In a few months it could launch on the other networks as the Nexus Prime. But hey it's just my opinion on how the Nexus Droid Prime could work.

f150fan

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
That is an interesting thought. The marketing behind the Droid line is pretty good. They will market the hell out of the Bionic and to be honest that will probably help sell the phone even more. It could be called the Droid Prime and carry all the benefits of being a Nexus, meaning it will in essence be a Nexus device but will carry the Droid moniker for the sole purpose of marketing the device. I'm not saying that this will happen but you never know. Time will tell as we begin to learn more.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually here is why it could change. I think Google wants this to be their phone that dethrones the Iphone, something the previous 2 Nexus devices has never even come close to doing. This could actually help Google and Verizon. Verizon did an amazing job marketing the Droid line. They did it so well that people automatically think Droid when the hear an Android phone. Can't tell you how many people have told me that they have a "Droid Phone" when in reality they did not. With Verizon's network, and a huge marketing campaign what better way to launch a Nexus device? It would catapult ICS into the market, it will definitely be a huge boost to Verizon. So much of a boost they would probably be willing to give Google full control over the phone like they do with the traditional Nexus line. It would help Google by having arguably the strongest mobile partner, so why not Verizon branding? I'm sure a lot of hardcore Android fans on other networks would be willing to jump ship to get this monster of a phone, on one of the best networks out there regardless of what's it's called if it stays true to being a Nexus. Also Verizon would not have to rely on the Iphone for strong sales, like AT&T had to do for years. It could be a you scratch my back, I scratch yours type of deal. In a few months it could launch on the other networks as the Nexus Prime. But hey it's just my opinion on how the Nexus Droid Prime could work.
VZW did not do a good job of marketing the Droid line, and it certainly did not cause everyone to think Droid = Android. The average consumer is ignorant, so don't mistake confusion for good marketing. It's like how a lot of iphone4 users think they have 4g. How can that be attributed to good marketing when Apple never said the phone had 4g?
Secondly, if you think any OS can demolish another OS in one iteration, you're wrong.
Thirdly, what's this crap about VZW wanting ICS to rule the world? Did they really just painstakingly negotiate with Apple less than a year ago to sell the iphone, only to throw all that away to boost Android?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
This whole Android v. iPhone thing is tiring. If you're an iPhone user on VZW you're not eligible for an upgrade yet. So the war would be fought on Apple's ground. If you're an Apple user it's going to take a lot to be convinced to change OS. I'm not sure I've ever met an iPhone user that was unhappy with their phone. That only leaves Android users eligible for an upgrade and other OS users.

At this point Andriod is more about retaining current users and converting RIM users. If Apple loses users it's going to be over the long-run.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
LOL there always has to be a war between 2 things . Humans are just built to automatically think that.
If you like Apple use Apple. If you like Android use Android. after you decide which one you like and will use you now have to decide which Carrier you want to go with Come October more or less, You will have 3 carriers to choose from if you like Apple. With Android theres just so many choices that its like a gauntlet of mini battles lol. I am on Sprint and happy of it. I have a Sammy phone and will be getting another one
9/16...

If the Nexus3 is anything like the GSII , it will be killer. It will better than the GSII yes but if you look at Sprints phone then imagine no buttons just all HD screen . can't wait..

I still don't think the DPrime will be the next Nexus but pretty much the same phone sure ...spec wise and screen.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
VZW did not do a good job of marketing the Droid line, and it certainly did not cause everyone to think Droid = Android. The average consumer is ignorant, so don't mistake confusion for good marketing. It's like how a lot of iphone4 users think they have 4g. How can that be attributed to good marketing when Apple never said the phone had 4g?
Secondly, if you think any OS can demolish another OS in one iteration, you're wrong.
Thirdly, what's this crap about VZW wanting ICS to rule the world? Did they really just painstakingly negotiate with Apple less than a year ago to sell the iphone, only to throw all that away to boost Android?

i would disagree with this statement pretty strongly. who doesn't remember the "in a world of doesn't, Droid Does" campaign before the OG launch?!?!!! that was outstanding marketing!!!! (but in fairness, i can't remember if that was Moto or VZW's campaign.) that, and the OG, put Andy on the map, no two ways about it.

Reactions: jroc

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
VZW did not do a good job of marketing the Droid line, and it certainly did not cause everyone to think Droid = Android.

I don't know what country/state/city you live in, but here probably 9 out of 10 people will say they have a "droid" even if they are on T-Mobile, AT&T or Sprint. And it is absolutely because of marketing and the fact that people associate Android with being a "Droid."

It's the same way that people associate MP3 players as being iPods...it's because of marketing and popularizing a particular brand/product. Yes, most consumers are ignorant...which is why well-targeted marketing works in the first place. Otherwise, people would simply study products themselves and buy the best ones for them. Instead, they just run out and buy something like the iPad2 because they assume it's the only thing worth buying, even if something else may suit them better.

Brandon

Reactions: jroc

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
i would disagree with this statement pretty strongly. who doesn't remember the "in a world of doesn't, Droid Does" campaign before the OG launch?!?!!! that was outstanding marketing!!!! (but in fairness, i can't remember if that was Moto or VZW's campaign.) that, and the OG, put Andy on the map, no two ways about it.

I also disagree with his statement. I teach guitar/bass/drums, and my phone is a pretty important tool for this. When most of my students talk about my phone and other Android phones they refer to all of them as "Droids". Sometimes I have to clarify with them, but I mostly just leave it at that.

You think the marketing failed because VZW customers think all phones that aren't iPhones are Droids and that iPhone 4s are 4G phones, but those are all very good things for each company. If 36% of iPhone users think their phones are better because they are 4G then they like Apple all the more. The Droid branding is now so household friendly that everyone thinks every Android phone is a Droid, how easy does that make it for a rep to sell one?

As far as the OG Droid marketing, they did it perfectly. No one knew what to expect from Verizon when the first ad came out. EVERYONE was curious. It was the most "googled" topic the first week it hit TV. The phone was so hyped up when it finally came out, it catapulted Android into millions of homes and saved Android.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just read this on BGR;

The Droid Prime is no Nexus..it is simply Verizons and only Verizons flagship ICS phone, but lets get it straight it is NOT a Nexus. Google will do their own outing of the Nexus-3. Maybe the Samsung I9250 a 4.65" Super Amoled HD ICS device might turn out to be the real new Nexus-3 that will be released to Tmo, Sprint and Att. Or as i have always thought...HTC might be the sleeper OEM to give us an N1 type on steroids Nexus 3. Either way it shakes out...Google has something special in-store for us all vanilla android lovers, and it's not a Droid.

I will be fit to be tied if Verizon tries to foist a "better-than-GS2-phone" on us AND puts Bing on it! Hearing about Nexus means no Bing, right? I am not going to get a phone with Bing as the search engine that is intertwined into the OS. I've got a Storm 2 (yes--life is tough for me. :) ) and it's got Bing as the only integrated search in the browser. I have to GO to a Google page, or open a google app, to search google. How messed up is that. And no way do I want Bing maps either. oh, I hope Verizon doesn't screw up the next cool phone!!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what country/state/city you live in, but here probably 9 out of 10 people will say they have a "droid" even if they are on T-Mobile, AT&T or Sprint. And it is absolutely because of marketing and the fact that people associate Android with being a "Droid."

It's the same way that people associate MP3 players as being iPods...it's because of marketing and popularizing a particular brand/product. Yes, most consumers are ignorant...which is why well-targeted marketing works in the first place. Otherwise, people would simply study products themselves and buy the best ones for them. Instead, they just run out and buy something like the iPad2 because they assume it's the only thing worth buying, even if something else may suit them better.

Brandon

or "Frigidaire" for refrigerator

or "Reynolds Wrap" for aluminum foil

or "Band Aid" for adhesive bandage

or "Chap Stick" for lip balm

or "Crock Pot" for slow cooker

I could go on forever with this. :)

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

This would suggest otherwise. It not only helped Verizon, but had an impact on the other Android manufacturers (HTC, Samsung).

b5bbf5b4.jpg

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLegend