We need to let OEMs and Corning know how bad Gorilla Glass 2 is!

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: We need to let OEMs and Corning know how bad Gorilla Glass 2

I could see the possibility of fractures. I would measure the longest and shortest possibly fracture with a quality digital caliper. (preferably from the outside edge of the phone to the fracture points) Then periodically check to see if they change from your current readings. A fracture should grow with the phone due to it being a touch screen. Worth a try.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Maybe, as someone suggested in the past, they aren't actually scratches but micro-fractures. Certainly possible.

Rev.

Possibly. Not sure how that would have happened, but makes more sense.

since they're getting worse, I wonder what's causing it. Maybe my infuse dock? The phone is tight in it so would getting it in and out be flexing it enough to cause that?

Just a thought. Kind of grasping for possibilities.

Last edited:

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

@bier808 - I'm not sure they would grow since a lot of the technical data I've read from Corning says one of the benefits is the structure is designed to prevent cracks from continuing to expand or further themselves. Only problem I have with the fracture argument is most of my micro-scratches appear to not be straight lines but rather are curved. Seems less likely fractures that have curves would be produced.

Rev.

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

True, I agree. To the extent that if there could possible be that many fractures they would most certainly grow due to the constant touching of the screen. Plus for that many possible fractures, its totally under some serious stress, so I would assume they would grow. IMO

Added: Also stress will take the path of least resistance,so straight or curved is possible. (Is imo in capps screaming? if so not intended)

Last edited:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

nah nah its not screaming mate :) im loving all this logical chat

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

lol....cool

Logic....Im just pissed.....lol
Hopefully we all find our answers, even if it goes our way or not.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

I have the Zagg HD screen protector and the Otterbox Commuter case which offers great protection and covers the edges of the Zagg so I can't even tell I have a screen protector on most of the time. The HD Zagg is very clear and for me hasn't compromised the quality of the screen on the S3.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Screen protector may not be HD but I will put my Defender up against any rugged case. Have never had any screen crackage ever. Luck favors the prepared.

trunkmonkey1972

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who can see scratches, how are you viewing them? Screen off, under light, angled? Just curious so I can check mine.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I am curious concerning the sources of the cracks and scratches. Are you guys putting phones in your pocket? Are you putting in your back pocket and sitting on it? My smartphones have always been in a holster and the last several in cases as well. The only time that I had a phone in my pocket was the GS3 because the Defender was not available so I got a Commuter to put it in my pocket with no screen protector and no scratches.

Tb311

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

Just found a scratch on my phone yesterday :( put it down on my desk and when the screen went off the light was at just the right angle and showed the scratch.

Terminator91

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

I almost took a swing at the goof who got the phone out for me... He said he would just put the sim in and power it off, but then he pulled the back protection film off and attempted to do the front before I yelled at him to leave it.

The first thing I do with any electronic product with a screen, is keep the factory cover on until I get a protector.

I don't know why you folks don't even use the cheap 99 cent static cling protectors. It's like you are almost sadistically in a way trying to test and see if the phone will scratch. Just because gorilla glass 2 claims to not scratch or shatter, doesn't mean you should accept it as fact.

Usually my phones at the end of their life cycles are filled with dents or scratches on all sides, the back, but the screen is always crystal clear from day one.

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Sorry Mr terminator sir. This is everyone's first phone so nobody knows what to do.

Seriously, why would anyone change the way they handle or carry their phone if they never had an issue before. Whats sadistic about that? Who is claiming they took a knife to the screen and scratched it, and now talking $hit? Really how many spent time researching gorilla glass 2 before buying there phone? Most are looking for answers after the fact.

And if a fault with the phone or glass is found and corrected im sure you wont have an apology. Try and put a little thought in your comments.

Thank you for your participation ;)

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't take any chances - the factory piece comes off and a screen protector goes on. I'm a self confessed phone whore and want to get the best resell money out my devices, which funds the next device.

Amen! I don't mind the screen protector it's actually nice. These phones have awesome resale value and allowed me to sell my SII skyrocket and buy this and make out 100 bucks ahead cause I protected it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Mr terminator sir. This is everyone's first phone so nobody knows what to do.

Seriously, why would anyone change the way they handle or carry their phone if they never had an issue before. Whats sadistic about that? Who is claiming they took a knife to the screen and scratched it, and now talking $hit? Really how many spent time researching gorilla glass 2 before buying there phone? Most are looking for answers after the fact.

And if a fault with the phone or glass is found and corrected im sure you wont have an apology. Try and put a little thought in your comments.

Thank you for your participation ;)

*pulls u back* careful man... its.. a ... terminator! :)

bier808

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

Honestly I`m just making a point, not trying to get under anyone's screen protector and scratch a bad nerve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere