What are you upgrading from and why?

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Moto X 2013, upgrading to the Nexus 6P for...
Immediate OS updates,
Android 6.0,
Google Fi and cutting my monthly phone bill by half,
Better battery, camera, finger print scanner, and pretty much everything hardware wise.

I will admit that I'll miss the custom Motorola software, the phone silencing itself at night or when my Google Calendar shows that I'm busy, reading me texts while driving, and launching the camera with the twist of the wrist. I was going to go for the Moto X Pure, but the overall Nexus experience was just too much to resist.

For silencing the phone at night, Marshmallow has do not disturb mode which can have timers set for it. I have it set to silence my phone at night except for people that are starred in my contact list in the case of an emergency, otherwise the phone is silent.

I'm going from the Nexus 6 to the 6P. Better camera (supposedly), fingerprint scanner, and I normally get the new Nexus phone every year.

mrsean67

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I can't wait to get rid of my gold Verizon Galaxy S6. The phone is beautiful to look at but I just cannot up with the poor call quality, constantly reloading opened apps in the background and no unlocked bootloader to get rid of that still crappy TW. Add to this the sucky battery life and I realized that I paid a premium for a lesser quality product than my old S4 which I loved. The only good feature the S6 has is it's rear camera and wireless charging if you care that much.

sstephen17

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Note 4. Want to try a pure Android experience. The Note 4 is a good phone but lack of timely updates and lots of bloat from Verizon and Samsung really limit the phone IMO.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
iphone 6+

1) Build quality looks equivalent for once
2) Top notch camera
3) Full stock google (I actually like iOS but I only really used google services on it)
4) "Ok google" on demand... No more holding a button down to get voice assist (Siri sucks at this, trust me)

jbbrown79

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Haven't ordered yet (waiting on reviews), but I will be coming from a Galaxy S4. It has gotten slow and I'm done with TW. Looking forward to stock android with quick updates and it's pretty much everything I have been looking for in a phone. The biggest adjustment will the size.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 6. Same basic deal.

I prefer google services and use them more often. Siri is garbage and I miss google now.

Apple is just getting so uninventive with their OS and Android is becoming increasingly more refined.

Scott93274

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Just requested a invite for Project Fi. I still have three months on contract with Verizon though, the early termination fee would be around $140. I'm really tempted to just go for it. I'm excited for the new Nexus and am so itching to cut ties with Verizon.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 6. Same basic deal.

I prefer google services and use them more often. Siri is garbage and I miss google now.

Apple is just getting so uninventive with their OS and Android is becoming increasingly more refined.
Yup. Definitely agree with you. I like Apple, but for the most part, that OS is the same as it was when the 4s came out.

Are you an Illinois grad or just from Illinois? If you don't mind me asking...

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm also on an iPhone 6. My last full time phone was a Galaxy S3, and briefly had Note 4, and then an iPhone 6+, then finally landed on the iPhone 6 last December. I'm an Apple IT guy for a living, I do nothing but Macs and iPads all day long, so it sort of made sense for me to go iPhone, but I also use a TON of Google services both at work and personally, Google Drive, Sheets, Docs, Google Music, Google Calendar, Gmail (both work and home), etc.

I've very happy with my iPhone 6, but...

1,) the Nexus 6P has me thinking twice about sticking with Apple. The major draw to the iPhone for me was the camera. Mostly the speed of the click to shot. I've never used a phone that was so quick to fire off shots as an iPhone. If the camera on the 6P really does rival the iPhone speed, I might make the jump to the 6P. I can sell my year old iPhone 6, put up another $50 and have a brand new 64GB 6P.

2.) Siri is pretty terrible. I miss Google Now tremendously. I know you can use the Google app on iPhone, but it's not integrated, and not at all convenient to use.

3.) I'm a huge fan of the affordability factor on the Nexus stuff. I buy my phones outright and put them on prepaid, so a $500 phone is MUCH more appealing to me than a $750 or $850 iPhone. My budget makes sustaining being an iPhone user pretty tough. I could keep up with a 2-year upgrade cycle on a Nexus pretty easily though.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm also on an iPhone 6. My last full time phone was a Galaxy S3, and briefly had Note 4, and then an iPhone 6+, then finally landed on the iPhone 6 last December. I'm an Apple IT guy for a living, I do nothing but Macs and iPads all day long, so it sort of made sense for me to go iPhone, but I also use a TON of Google services both at work and personally, Google Drive, Sheets, Docs, Google Music, Google Calendar, Gmail (both work and home), etc.

I've very happy with my iPhone 6, but...

1,) the Nexus 6P has me thinking twice about sticking with Apple. The major draw to the iPhone for me was the camera. Mostly the speed of the click to shot. I've never used a phone that was so quick to fire off shots as an iPhone. If the camera on the 6P really does rival the iPhone speed, I might make the jump to the 6P. I can sell my year old iPhone 6, put up another $50 and have a brand new 64GB 6P.

2.) Siri is pretty terrible. I miss Google Now tremendously. I know you can use the Google app on iPhone, but it's not integrated, and not at all convenient to use.

3.) I'm a huge fan of the affordability factor on the Nexus stuff. I buy my phones outright and put them on prepaid, so a $500 phone is MUCH more appealing to me than a $750 or $850 iPhone. My budget makes sustaining being an iPhone user pretty tough. I could keep up with a 2-year upgrade cycle on a Nexus pretty easily though.

I'm with you all the way on those three points especially #2... I miss the automatic "ok google" as Siri is disgustingly bad by comparison.

I did a price check on the iPhone 6s+ 64gb with Applecare... You're looking at $1060 with taxes for most people and that's almost $400 more than the same 64gb nexus 6p. Obviously Applecare+ being $40 more is a slight bump, but even so that's just an insane difference.

mtndew2756

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Currently on the original HTC One (M7) Tmobile variant. Love the phone but it's just getting too slow and the battery life is becoming a serious issue. I actually created a matrix of different features I wanted in a phone and then rated 4 different phones in each and compared the total scores. Originally the Moto X pure won, but real life battery issues and the possible delay of 6.0 updates dropped it's rating enough for the 6P to come up. Really, the Sony Z5 still won over the 6P in points (barely), but my gut tells me to go with the nexus. Guess that shows that even when you use logic, personal preference still wins out :p

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm with you all the way on those three points especially #2... I miss the automatic "ok google" as Siri is disgustingly bad by comparison.

I did a price check on the iPhone 6s+ 64gb with Applecare... You're looking at $1060 with taxes for most people and that's almost $400 more than the same 64gb nexus 6p. Obviously Applecare+ being $40 more is a slight bump, but even so that's just an insane difference.

Heck yeah on that price thing. My 6 last year came out to about $900 with Apple Care. I feel like I must have been insane, but it made the most sense at the time. There simply wasn't an Android at the time that appealed to me.

At this point in the cycle I could get approx $500 for my iPhone, a $400 loss after a year. Ouch.

I do wish though that the 5X wasn't a lesser phone than the 6P. I actually love the size of the iPhone 6, and don't love big phones for everyday use. All that said, I think I'd just make myself adjust to the 6P if I ended up going back to it and Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the reel d-dave

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm on a verizon LG G2. It's been a good phone for a long time, but lately, it's decided that keeping the phone powered on is a silly proposition!

5 hours 22 minutes, 34min of screen time and I'm at 10%

I'm using the phone in a LG/Stock method. All LG apps, launcher, wifi, bluetooth and GPS on (though set to network only for battery savings).

Does anyone know why I have these battery drops where the line breaks?
Screenshot_2015-10-09-10-51-30.jpg

I have always like the Moto X from afar, but always used my upgrade for a new phone. Now I'm sitting here, moving to the new verizon bucket plan in a few days, and not seeing the value on my end between a Moto X Pure versus LG G4 (my present experience is dampening my appreciation for LG phones) or some other phone. The nexus are interesting, maybe in the future. I like the Moto apps from my Razr days.

Should be here the 13th! Looking forward to seeing how well it works comparatively!

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Heck yeah on that price thing. My 6 last year came out to about $900 with Apple Care. I feel like I must have been insane, but it made the most sense at the time. There simply wasn't an Android at the time that appealed to me.

At this point in the cycle I could get approx $500 for my iPhone, a $400 loss after a year. Ouch.

I do wish though that the 5X wasn't a lesser phone than the 6P. I actually love the size of the iPhone 6, and don't love big phones for everyday use. All that said, I think I'd just make myself adjust to the 6P if I ended up going back to it and Android.

I bought my 6+ three months used and it included Applecare+ and I spent $750. I'm hoping to offload it for $550 or so.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
With all of the carrier and Apple programs that let you upgrade to a new iPhone once a year, the used market is going to be flooded. I wouldn't want to be trying to sell one starting 12 months from now.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
With all of the carrier and Apple programs that let you upgrade to a new iPhone once a year, the used market is going to be flooded. I wouldn't want to be trying to sell one starting 12 months from now.

Good point. It might be a good time to "get out" of the iPhone train. My iPhone 6 will probably take a pretty hefty hit next year.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Definitely agree with you. I like Apple, but for the most part, that OS is the same as it was when the 4s came out.

Are you an Illinois grad or just from Illinois? If you don't mind me asking...

I'm an Illinois grad. Class of 2010. The build on the iPhone is solid, but the services are just kind of garbage. Apple services all by default, which just aren't ready for the big league.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Illinois grad. Class of 2010. The build on the iPhone is solid, but the services are just kind of garbage. Apple services all by default, which just aren't ready for the big league.
Nice! I'm an Illinois grad - 2004. And I agree, I love the build. Just feels premium. But I get fed up with the OS and being locked in. And it used to dominate in the camera department, which isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flybynight