What defects are you living with on your Nexus?

jaguar10301

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
None I'm on my 3rd one, 1st one was perfect but i stepped on it and broke the screen, second one was a refurb from Asurion and the SIM reader kept failing, 3rd one is perfect again....

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i don't believe i have the dropped data issue. we only have 3g in my area.

i did have the phone mic mute during calls twice in the first week, then it seems to have gone away.

i also cannot connect to wifi sometimes when the router's channel is up in the 13-14 range. switching the router to a lower channel fixes the problem.

for me, all in all a really great phone.

it has been rooted and running custom roms since day one, currently liquid 1.4 (cdma).

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Loss of signal
Charger that emits high pitch frequency
Horrible battery life
Cant enjoy Super AMOLED screen on bright or even close to it due to battery life
Shuts off every two days for no reason and restarts

Overall, this is the most worthless Samsung phone (or android phone) Ive ever had. The only redeeming quality of this phone is the amazing camera. Its also the least 'androidy'... Big disappointment, will probably preorder S3 today!

This made me laugh. Seriously though, you just have a POS apparently. You should've returned it. My nexus is sick.

You have to be joking regarding the S3. Nice phone, don't get me wrong, but completely underwhelming for those of us with proper gnex's. I've had this phone for 7 months...ages in the phone tech world...and the S3 has what that I don't have or can't get? Oh, an 8 mega pixel camera and a skin (touchwiz). YAWN.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
This made me laugh. Seriously though, you just have a POS apparently. You should've returned it. My nexus is sick.

Exactly. I don't understand why all (or some of) the posters in this thread with issues have not swapped their phone. Take advantage of the warranty; VZW won't give you a hard time. I'm on my third Nexus and it's a winner. First two couldn't hold a signal. And if you've swapped numerous times and still have no luck, you have the option of moving to a Razr Maxx.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. I don't understand why all (or some of) the posters in this thread with issues have not swapped their phone. Take advantage of the warranty; VZW won't give you a hard time. I'm on my third Nexus and it's a winner. First two couldn't hold a signal. And if you've swapped numerous times and still have no luck, you have the option of moving to a Razr Maxx.

Yeah, you don't have that option any more... I called this morning and told them that I didn't want a 4th Nexus because I was tired of problem after problem, so they offered me either a Rezound (ok, but battery life doesn't look too great), or a Droid Charge. Yeah, a Charge. I actually laughed when he said that...

I ended up going to the store and working a deal to trade in my Nexus and get a Razr Maxx by using another upgrade (got $140 for the Nexus on trade and the Maxx was on sale for $125 so I got a gift card for the difference).

My guess is that the Razr and Maxx are selling too well with the current promotions going on with the Droid line, and they're not giving them away any more.

In any case when it worked, the Nexus was an awesome device, and there are a number of things that I'll miss. I just got sick of constantly factory wiping and exchanging my phone.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you don't have that option any more... I called this morning and told them that I didn't want a 4th Nexus because I was tired of problem after problem, so they offered me either a Rezound (ok, but battery life doesn't look too great), or a Droid Charge. Yeah, a Charge. I actually laughed when he said that...

I ended up going to the store and working a deal to trade in my Nexus and get a Razr Maxx by using another upgrade (got $140 for the Nexus on trade and the Maxx was on sale for $125 so I got a gift card for the difference).

My guess is that the Razr and Maxx are selling too well with the current promotions going on with the Droid line, and they're not giving them away any more.

In any case when it worked, the Nexus was an awesome device, and there are a number of things that I'll miss. I just got sick of constantly factory wiping and exchanging my phone.

A Charge!!?? Give me a break. Like you were going to do that. It sucks that you had to use an upgrade but at least it sounds like you got a good deal.

bebbles

May 30, 2012
Visit site

You have to be joking regarding the S3. Nice phone, don't get me wrong, but completely underwhelming for those of us with proper gnex's. I've had this phone for 7 months...ages in the phone tech world...and the S3 has what that I don't have or can't get? Oh, an 8 mega pixel camera and a skin (touchwiz). YAWN.

None of the issues are hardware issues, so yes; I do have a hard time getting Verizon to swap it. Trust me, Ive swapped multiple Blackberries and HTC; but for some reason I do have a hard time with this phone.

I went from a Fascinate to iPhone to the Nexus. I just miss a bunch of features from all my other androids and galaxy s that I really enjoyed, like the longpress on any text field could easily change your input method.

What is so great about your Nexus? Have you not tried other phones or seen what it on the market right now? The camera is awesome, but its even better on the Evo LTE and S3 which can do very VERY clear rapid fire shots. The sound is good, but not as great as HTC. Super AMOLED is awesome but even if you have better battery life than I, dont think you can BS me into thinking youre able to leave it on bright setting and be able to enjoy it without draining like crazy. Signal was definitely better on my Galaxy S. Oh, one good thing is that GPS is incredibly accurate on this phone; whereas my Motorola Droid 3 and replacements were always off by 10-100ft.

Im not sh*ttting on the Nexus, but just because you have one of the few (look around, quite alot of posts about unhappy topics here) 'perfect' ones, dont poo poo on me. =)

bebbles

May 30, 2012
Visit site

LMAO!!! Charge!?

How does the Maxx compare, you enjoy it?

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
LMAO!!! Charge!?

How does the Maxx compare, you enjoy it?

I know, right? :)

The Maxx is great so far. Physically, it's almost exactly the same size as the Nexus was (there's a little more bezel around the screen which results in the 4.3" vs 4.65"). I've been using it pretty hard so far today (about half on Wifi and half on LTE) and aside from the SmartActions app hammering the CPU at one point, it's been fine. Still at 61% battery (my Nexus with the VZW extended battery would've been in the 30's by now with that much use).

I'll admit, I miss some of the features of ICS. It felt a lot more polished than Blur on GB, but Blur is still way less intrusive than Sense was on my Incredible (I hear they've tempered Sense 4 so as not to rape your user experience as much). I'm interested to see what Motorola has done with Blur in ICS. It's also just as responsive as the Nexus was (more so in some areas).

The one thing I notice on a regular basis is that the SwiftKey beta seems to hang up or lag occasionally. Not to the point of locking up the phone or anything. It just seems to miss keystrokes (FWIW, the same version of the beta worked with no issues on the Nexus). Hopefully it'll be cleared up in the final release (SwiftKey X doesn't seem to have the problem).

Oh, and the Motorola Droid notifications and ring tones are obnoxious at best. Mechanical and loud compared to the softer and soothing sounds the Nexus makes by default. I have trouble finding ones that aren't irritating, and that my wife isn't already using on her Maxx :). I think I'm going to have to find someone with an extract of the Nexus ring tones and notifications.

When it worked, my Galaxy Nexus was an excellent device (with a mediocre camera ;)). It just got to the point where I wasn't willing to deal with all of the issues and constant replacement devices. I'll never bash the Nexus. Like I said, it was a great device. It was just time for me to move on. To those of you who aren't having the issues that myself and others in this thread were/are: awesome! I hope it keeps working for you as well as mine did for the first 5 months.

T

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
A Charge!!?? Give me a break. Like you were going to do that. It sucks that you had to use an upgrade but at least it sounds like you got a good deal.

Hey, maybe they're able to trick some people into thinking it's a good idea... :)

Yeah, just wish I could've traded in the windshield dock on a new one too. ;)

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Random reboots. Very rare but happens.
Weak signal and data drops. Frustrating when I see other phone users on vzw network sitting.g right next to me in meetings have no issues while my phone hangs with no signal.
Finnicky GWallet
phone number pad sticks on 1key when I manually dial. This may have been addressed by the new ROM.