where are the updates?

Chris Rosas

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi friends I have an LG v20 and since I bought it last October I only receive one security update I'm kind of worried because on the Samsung Galaxy S7 they get security updates every month. I'm wondering if we're ever going to get any security updates or if we're going to get major updates moving Forward, so what's your opinion guys?

mitul_mehta

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi friends I have an LG v20 and since I bought it last October I only receive one security update I'm kind of worried because on the Samsung Galaxy S7 they get security updates every month. I'm wondering if we're ever going to get any security updates or if we're going to get major updates moving Forward, so what's your opinion guys?
No updates since Dec makes the owner feel so sucky after paying a bomb for this phone.

muckle_dabuckle

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile variant and still stuck on the December security patch. Pretty sure T-Mobile has abandoned it (they even had it marked down to $480 recently). Reading other forums I have determined Verizon and T-Mobile seem to have abandoned the phone, while AT&T and Sprint have updated the security patches to one of the 2017 patches. To me this indicates a carrier problem more than an LG problem (if LG is pushing updates to AT&T and Sprint). You basically have to figure out the patterns of your carrier. I've determined T-Mobile only supports Samsung and Apple phones so those are my only choices if I want regular software updates.

I've considered switching to iOS...something unthinkable to me less than a year ago. Tired of buying expensive phones that aren't supported. And lets be real...if we do ever see another update on the V20 it will be months behind in the security patch department (some of the issues addressed in the April security patch sound really serious too).

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm with AT&T and I got an April Security patch a few weeks ago. It is annoying that we have to wait so long for updates whereas iOS gets them much more frequently. I hate iOS though and I always jailbroke my iPhones so I was always behind anyway.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
If I recall, there's a thread on here where someone was saying that LG was going to be quicker with security updates....
As we all can see that is not happening, so sad.
I'm with Verizon and only December's update, still.

Lateck,

muckle_dabuckle

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm with AT&T and I got an April Security patch a few weeks ago. It is annoying that we have to wait so long for updates whereas iOS gets them much more frequently. I hate iOS though and I always jailbroke my iPhones so I was always behind anyway.

Good to know AT&T is taking care of business. Maybe they sold more V20s so it's a priority?

I've only used iOS on my wife's iPad and find it quite boring. That being said, I'm willing to make the switch knowing my phone will likely be updated for years and years. Plus, my choice is Samsung or Apple I'd rather not have a phone made of all glass. Maybe Apple can rush out patches because they know they can patch a patch immediately and just push it out and everyone gets it where on Android if a patch has a bug the process starts all over and a fix may never come?

If I recall, there's a thread on here where someone was saying that LG was going to be quicker with security updates....

I assumed that as well because launching with Nougat indicated support. Guess not.

Anyway. There are probably a few hundred of us that actually care about getting security patches. Thousands and thousands will care once we finally get hit by a huge breach, in which case I see things getting messier and the government getting involved. Heck, I believe Asus has to be audited for 20 years for not providing timely security updates for their routers or making false claims about their security. Could that happen to Android?

Last edited:

muckle_dabuckle

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
So I looked at Google and LG's security bulletins and the stats are unreal. Being my phone is still on the December security patch my phone has potentially 284 known vulnerabilities (70 critical) and 6 LG specific vulnerabilities (1 critical).

January security patch:
81 vulnerabilities (7 critical)
4 LG specific vulnerabilities (1 critical)

February security patch:
72 vulnerabilities (22 critical)
0 LG specific vulnerabilities

March security patch:
54 vulnerabilities (16 critical)
LG specific vulnerabilities (1 high)

April security patch:
77 vulnerabilities (25 critical)
LG specific vulnerabilities 1 (high)

So, yeah. No sure if all of the LG specific vulnerabilities apply to the V20. I also don't know if all of the Android vulnerabilities apply to every phone. Obviously industry security experts know more than me, but this seems staggering to me.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The last update I got is from December. Honestly phones don't need that much update if everything is working just fine. I feel like updates in general (especially on the Windows PC) slows down the phone (maybe on purpose to force user to buy new device every year or two). I permanently disabled updates on my Windows Laptop PC because it kept on slowing down my computer and corrupting my files. My Laptop runs like brand new. My V20 works perfectly, so there's no immediate need for an update unless it makes you feel better. If you're concerned for security download anti virus and spyware apps (I recommend Malwarebytes).