"Whole" Punch Makes a Notch Seem Good

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Whole Punch Makes a Notch Seem Good

That's not an "advancement in design". It's a stupid choice to fake out the customer into believing the screen is bigger when now you've got what is essentially a permanent group of dead pixels that could have been actual screen area.

How does it work with a full screen video?

There actually is more viewable display than if there were even bezels on either side of the front-facing camera or a notch. An increase in viewable space is a design advancement because it maximizes screen-to-body ratio.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

There actually is more viewable display than if there were even bezels on either side of the front-facing camera or a notch. An increase in viewable space is a design advancement because it maximizes screen-to-body ratio.
Wuh? The view is impeded by the hole. This is akin to having a big a$$ blotch on a monitor or TV. This makes a notch seem visually sane.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Wuh? The view is impeded by the hole. This is akin to having a big a$$ blotch on a monitor or TV. This makes a notch seem visually sane.

That's your opinion. The fact is it's another advancement in reducing screen-to-body ratio. If that's a bad thing to you, you're entitled to not like it. I'm all for continued progress in that specific regard.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I honestly thought the mockups months ago were a parody of the other phones having a notch. Turns out it's real and makes notches seem great in comparison. IMO Samsung made an even worse design than the notch. Considering the price and the oddly placed display hole, do you think Samsung should be shocked if sales are lacking?

Typed this with my Note 9.

I don't like it at all

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

The whole "screen to body ratio" thing is a fallacy and has become an ergonomic nightmare. It's fine for TV, but I'm not trying to hold my TV. It's a marketing gimmick that the tech blog world latched on to and has made these phones useless.

Who even asked for larger screen to body ratio? I didn't. I like to hold and use my phone. You got to put cases on these things that just increases that body size back to probably what it should have been in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, the tiny screens of the past isn't what I'm looking for, but screens right to the edge, and then curving them, get ridiculous.

I'll take a hole over a notch every-time.
I'll take a flat screen with all four straight edges and clear all over every time.

And I have an S9, but those edges bug me even with an Otterbox Defender on it.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

That's similar to the megapixel wars in cameras. More is not always better.

But it doesn't hurt. There are other factors to consider in a camera's quality. In the case of Samsung, we already know they make the best displays. Now there's more of it without increasing the form factor.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site

I was just going to post this. Should be a good preview of what the Infinity-O experience will be like. Maybe it'll alleviate the concern/fear some have about having the front camera in the corner of the display in order to do away with notches and big bezels. And maybe not.

I think I'm gonna love it as much as Flossy does.

Btw, Sony seems to still be going with the bezels, no notches and no bezel-less displays and I think they make some pretty solid flagships. People in the market for a new phone that prefer the older design languages should perhaps look into those options.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I've said it before and I'll say it again I have to see it in person we don't really know what It'll be like yet, maybe I'll like or maybe I'll hate I can't be sure just yet

We'll have to wait unti the 20th when all the videos come out of people at the event playing with the phone, from what I see of the A8 it may not be so bad mind you on the A8 it's on the top left not top right

I also hope we will have an option like on the mate 20 pro that we can format the screen to go just under the hole punch, it kind of defeats the purpose and I most likely won't do but it would nice to have that option

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

But it doesn't hurt. There are other factors to consider in a camera's quality. In the case of Samsung, we already know they make the best displays. Now there's more of it without increasing the form factor.

In the case of cameras, it can hurt. Yes there are other factors, but even if everything else is perfect, there is a point where more pixels noticeably hurt image quality. It's unavoidable, and why a smartphone will never hold a candle to a DSLR.

The same with screen to body ratio is true. Manufacturers are pushing it so far that it's ruining the aesthetics of the display and making the phone difficult to hold. Why would I care about screen to body ratio, or how well the colors look with a hole in it and can't hold it decently?

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
In the case of cameras, it can hurt. Yes there are other factors, but even if everything else is perfect, there is a point where more pixels noticeably hurt image quality. It's unavoidable, and why a smartphone will never hold a candle to a DSLR.

The same with screen to body ratio is true. Manufacturers are pushing it so far that it's ruining the aesthetics of the display and making the phone difficult to hold. Why would I care about screen to body ratio, or how well the colors look with a hole in it and can't hold it decently?

Really? Because the Note 9 was the most comfortable phone I've ever held.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Really? Because the Note 9 was the most comfortable phone I've ever held.
I had the same problem with it that I had trying to use the S7: unwanted touches unless using a case, plus I just dislike curved screens. Thankfully it's just my wife's phone and not one I use. Even the minimal side bezels on my V20 sometimes give me unwanted touches unless I use a case.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem with it that I had trying to use the S7: unwanted touches unless using a case, plus I just dislike curved screens. Thankfully it's just my wife's phone and not one I use. Even the minimal side bezels on my V20 sometimes give me unwanted touches unless I use a case.

I find the newer phones easier to hold because they are narrow. Just my preference.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I find the newer phones easier to hold because they are narrow. Just my preference.

Yeah I guess it's just a preference. Then again, I hold my phone from underneath. I never even touch the sides.

I also now prefer the smaller models, as they're less cumbersome and easier fits in my pocket. Which is why I chose the regular Pixel, iPhone Xs, and would probably choose the S10e over the larger models.

I think it was the rush to make phones as large as possible that started this whole thing. So we're all guilty, not just the manufacturers.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Respectfully, you are flat out wrong. Just think for a second. All apps will conform to space BELOW that giant hole. What little screen space they claim to have increased is more than lost by what will be a notification area at least 2x normal. The top 8-10mm of screen space will be useless for everything other than full screen video - and that will have a fairly large black spot all the time on the S10+.

Head over to ARS.tech, they had a good pict approximating what the screen will look like with that area. It will be a 6.4" screen with 6.1-6.2" of usable space outside of videos..

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

s10+.JPG

If you guys look at this and seriously think this huge waste of space is an improvement over a teardrop or notch then I give up.....

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

View attachment 298293

If you guys look at this and seriously think this huge waste of space is an improvement over a teardrop or notch then I give up.....
Or, just leave a flippin' bezel along the top.

Then, every bit of a rectangular screen is fully usable with absolutely no visual compromises. Why is that so bad?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred