"Whole" Punch Makes a Notch Seem Good

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Whole Punch Makes a Notch Seem Good

I had the same problem with it that I had trying to use the S7: unwanted touches unless using a case, plus I just dislike curved screens. Thankfully it's just my wife's phone and not one I use. Even the minimal side bezels on my V20 sometimes give me unwanted touches unless I use a case.

I wanted the regular S10 because the screen looks a lot nicer with the smaller bezels but I've always preferred the flat screen so I'm having a hard time deciding which one. Not sure I will like the edge design along with the fingerprint scanner/ screen protector issue it might have.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

With a bezel, the notification area starts below the camera and the app space starts below the notification bar. With a notch, or a hole, the notification bar is now in line with the camera and the app space comes all the way up to the camera. That's more screen real estate. Respectfully. Yes, the notification area is taller now because of the height of the camera hardware, but it's still a gain.
Respectfully, you are flat out wrong. Just think for a second. All apps will conform to space BELOW that giant hole. What little screen space they claim to have increased is more than lost by what will be a notification area at least 2x normal. The top 8-10mm of screen space will be useless for everything other than full screen video - and that will have a fairly large black spot all the time on the S10+.

Head over to ARS.tech, they had a good pict approximating what the screen will look like with that area. It will be a 6.4" screen with 6.1-6.2" of usable space outside of videos..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Respectfully, you are flat out wrong. Just think for a second. All apps will conform to space BELOW that giant hole. What little screen space they claim to have increased is more than lost by what will be a notification area at least 2x normal. The top 8-10mm of screen space will be useless for everything other than full screen video - and that will have a fairly large black spot all the time on the S10+.

Head over to ARS.tech, they had a good pict approximating what the screen will look like with that area. It will be a 6.4" screen with 6.1-6.2" of usable space outside of videos..

That's not true of all apps. Some apps and videos will fill the entire screen. In addition since the notifications get pushed up into that area which is normally bezel there's more real estate. Having said that it's not a big increase.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I had the same problem with it that I had trying to use the S7: unwanted touches unless using a case, plus I just dislike curved screens. Thankfully it's just my wife's phone and not one I use. Even the minimal side bezels on my V20 sometimes give me unwanted touches unless I use a case.

In this case, you actually ARE holding it wrong if you're getting that many unwanted touches.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Actually, if the phone had bezels that would be dead space. On phones with cutouts or holes, that space next to the camera becomes usable, unlike on a phone with bezels to house the camera and sensors. So you are quite incorrect.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Or, just leave a flippin' bezel along the top.

Then, every bit of a rectangular screen is fully usable with absolutely no visual compromises. Why is that so bad?

Because it increases device size when it's not necessary. It allows for larger screens in smaller bodies.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

In this case, you actually ARE holding it wrong if you're getting that many unwanted touches.
So a manufacturer creates a phone with sides that respond to touches, even though most people hold their phones at least partly by the side, and that makes it somehow our fault for the unwanted touches? Sorry, but I don't know anyone that can hold a phone flat in their hand without at least some side grip.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Because it increases device size when it's not necessary. It allows for larger screens in smaller bodies.
Which means zip to me. Makes devices more fragile. I'd like to be able the hold the phone, or take it out of my pocket, or just put it down without touching an active screen item. And hope I don't drop it.

Put a case on it? Now we are back to what is effectively a larger body relative to the screen. At least there's something to grab on to.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Which means zip to me. Makes devices more fragile. I'd like to be able the hold the phone, or take it out of my pocket, or just put it down without touching an active screen item. And hope I don't drop it.

Put a case on it? Now we are back to what is effectively a larger body relative to the screen. At least there's something to grab on to.

It really doesn't make them more fragile. For example, I dropped my note 9 (slipped out of my hand, basically got thrown down) onto a tile floor that had a concrete underlay, and it was just fine. My last couple phones have all been of the mostly full screen variety, and I have had zero issues with accidental touches or anything like that. The whole point is to get to the point where the device is all screen. Once the tech is there, that will lead to further iteration and thinner and lighter devices.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

So a manufacturer creates a phone with sides that respond to touches, even though most people hold their phones at least partly by the side, and that makes it somehow our fault for the unwanted touches? Sorry, but I don't know anyone that can hold a phone flat in their hand without at least some side grip.

Most people don't hold their phones by the sides. Most do the pinky under the bottom, with fingers flat against the back thing, or two handed. Not to mention that every manufacturer now has some sort of accidental touch prevention software built in.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Most people don't hold their phones by the sides. Most do the pinky under the bottom, with fingers flat against the back thing, or two handed. Not to mention that every manufacturer now has some sort of accidental touch prevention software built in.

Right. Which is why you don't hear the accidental touch complaints from a few years ago. Truthfully, I think after 4 years of edge design, people have adapted to it.

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

It really doesn't make them more fragile. For example, I dropped my note 9 (slipped out of my hand, basically got thrown down) onto a tile floor that had a concrete underlay, and it was just fine. My last couple phones have all been of the mostly full screen variety, and I have had zero issues with accidental touches or anything like that. The whole point is to get to the point where the device is all screen. Once the tech is there, that will lead to further iteration and thinner and lighter devices.
I had an S8. With a case, and it slipped out of my lap while getting out of my car and it fell face down on the asphalt with a well placed rock that pinged the upper right corner - right in the curved edge. Screen went to a flickering bright yellow-green and could barely see the screen icons. Just enough that I could use SideSync to back up the phone. Since it was on AT&T, had to switch to the S9.

Also, my son also had an S8, with an Otterbox Defender. Dropped it once on our tile floor, and the corner edge screen cracked on him too. His screen did not go bright, so he was able to keep using it for several months, but when I dropped mine, we upgraded both.

So, yeah, these phones are brittle as Pringles chips.

I just hope the OEMs come to their senses in the next two years (unless this phone hits the floor too before then).

If there's ever a BlackBerry Motion 2 and is carried by AT&T, then I have a chance. Otherwise, I don't know what I'd get.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

The whole point is to get to the point where the device is all screen. Once the tech is there, that will lead to further iteration and thinner and lighter devices.

Thinner = More fragile

Lighter = easier to drop (a heavier phone sits more securely in my hand).

You may want a phone that is paper thin and 100% screen, but many of us do not.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Most people don't hold their phones by the sides. Most do the pinky under the bottom, with fingers flat against the back thing, or two handed.

That may work if you only use your phone face up and not moving. If you are holding it in other positions or moving (as is often the case), then you'll need to actually grip the sides of the phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

That may work if you only use your phone face up and not moving. If you are holding it in other positions or moving (as is often the case), then you'll need to actually grip the sides of the phone.

Well there's nothing wrong with gripping the sides. If you're moving the screen will likely be off anyway.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Well there's nothing wrong with gripping the sides. If you're moving the screen will likely be off anyway.
You can't grip the sides if the sides are responsive to touch. And if your second claim is true, why do so many of these videos exist?

https://youtu.be/4ANPcmIPiaM

And if your recording video, the phone should be turned sideways (thus gripped by the sides to balance the weight) anyway. Unless you're one of those that record vertical video, in which case I hate you.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I had an S8. With a case, and it slipped out of my lap while getting out of my car and it fell face down on the asphalt with a well placed rock that pinged the upper right corner - right in the curved edge. Screen went to a flickering bright yellow-green and could barely see the screen icons. Just enough that I could use SideSync to back up the phone. Since it was on AT&T, had to switch to the S9.

Also, my son also had an S8, with an Otterbox Defender. Dropped it once on our tile floor, and the corner edge screen cracked on him too. His screen did not go bright, so he was able to keep using it for several months, but when I dropped mine, we upgraded both.

So, yeah, these phones are brittle as Pringles chips.

I just hope the OEMs come to their senses in the next two years (unless this phone hits the floor too before then).

If there's ever a BlackBerry Motion 2 and is carried by AT&T, then I have a chance. Otherwise, I don't know what I'd get.

That's what I'm worried about. The screen protectors on flat design phones give that extra lip of protection if you drop it on a flat service. With the edge it's impossible to get the same type of protection. I am not clumsy at all but I do tend to drop my phone from time to time. It's going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174