Why did you upgrade your phone? How long do you wait before you usually upgrade?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
1. I have rarely paid full price as well. My S10+was £699 instead of £1200 and my Pixel 4a 5G just cost me £399 instead of £499. My daughter got a Pixel 2XL 128GB for £399 instead of £899. So I like bargain hunting as well.

2. Our 2005 Zafira was £1870 after getting work done on it. The same car same age was going for £3000 normally. So that was another saving.

So yeah agree about cars too.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
There can only be one daily driver - so took the plunge years ago and joined the UK Note upgrade program.
So, new note on release each year.

I also buy and sell quite a few other "flagships" throughout the year to try.

Some just after release when there is an offer, some secondhand unwanted upgrades and some imported from the far East. It still works out one of my cheaper hobbies..

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
I enjoy having the latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy. Upgrade annually. It is a fun process for me to go through the trade-in process and get the updated device. Enjoying using an unlocked S21 Ultra 256 GB currently.

BazzG

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using my OnePlus 6T. Feel no need to upgrade. When it goes out of support from OnePlus I'll stick Lineage on it.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Roughly every two years...so between 20 and 26 months. On my S9+ I was about one month shy of 24 since I ordered my S21 on announcement day for the great deal. Before that, I had an LG G6 for maybe 20 or 21 months...can't remember exactly how long.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
It varies a lot with me. I used a Palm Pre of some type from 2009 - 2013, with an iPhone 5 and EVO 3D mixed in when I got frustrated at not being able to do something. In 2013 I bought a Nexus 5X, which I used for several years (with a return trip or two to a Pre2 during that time) until it just got too slow to put up with after the Android 7 update. Nothing out at the time interested me, so I bought an LG G5 off eBay and used that for a while. I have upgraded several times in the past few years due to a great deal on the V50, and a semi-forced upgrade when T-Mobile shut down Sprint's 5G network, when I bought my current phone, a OnePlus 8. Hopefully it will last me a couple of years, because I am tired of paying for my phone every month.

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
well, I run mine till it breaks. last phone was a LG V40 Thin. for whatever the reason, maps/Waze stopped working on it, so I picked up a LG 8AX Thin dual screen for $499 from WalMart on sale. I liked the included second screen, but find I rarely use it. it also has the exact footprint of the LG V40, so the case and other accessories fit perfectly.

But I just bought my daughter a teracube 2e with all the features I wanted, including expandable memory, removable battery, dual sim slots, and a 6.1 inch screen with great definition for $119. so far, it's been a champ and it will be my next phone when this one dies.

gofast81

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
After rocking a Moto G Power for the last year, it's a breath of fresh air compared to when I would buy flagship after flagship every year. I miss the Pixel experience with updates and etc but I love the price difference and insane battery life mid-range/budget phones offer.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I get antsy for a new phone after about a year or so.

Last phone was a op 7t and I just upgraded to a s20 fe after about 14 months. I will only get a phone that is compatible with Visible. I guess I am a Visible fan boy.

kigmatzomat

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
The Android release after mine stops getting major updates. (Or if I drop it down a set of stairs) (or security updates get sketchy....looking at you, moto)

Note2 Jellybean - KitKat
G3 .... Marshmallow
Moto ZPlay ....Oreo (other than stairs)
Moto X4 (...Pi9)
Samsung A50 may get 11

At the ZPlay I realized what I really needed was screen size and battery life. (Took back an s9 after 1 day)
CPU power on the mid rangers was good enough without spenfing flagship money. Photo quality was adequate as I was accustomed to using film cameras under bad lighting.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
1. I have rarely paid full price as well. My S10+was £699 instead of £1200 and my Pixel 4a 5G just cost me £399 instead of £499. My daughter got a Pixel 2XL 128GB for £399 instead of £899. So I like bargain hunting as well.

2. Our 2005 Zafira was £1870 after getting work done on it. The same car same age was going for £3000 normally. So that was another saving.

So yeah agree about cars too.

Wow! What great finds! You're going to do my shopping from now on!

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I update often- but I work in mobile so it might be justified, and in some cases a tax write-off since it is for work purposes LoL. I do like to try the devices so I know what I'm selling to my customers I guess, if that sounds legit. and it's not like I try all the high end flagships, it's usually like the mid to lower end of them, like this time around I got the s21 instead of the Ultra this time around. it felt like the safer option for me considering the Ultra issues last year. I am good friends with the Samsung rep, and he lets me sort of test out the cameras and stuff when he gets them, just before release. I think he does it cause he knows I'm like a kid at Christmas when launches happen LoL. same with the Apple Rep. minus the letting me see the device part. apple is pretty tight lipped about that. Google is the same way- I sell a lot of their units, so they're nice to me. and lg... well... I never really got excited for them since the Lg G3. but that's just me 😅

I will say I don't keep all phones.. so there is that. And I do shop around for the best deal .

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I update often- but I work in mobile so it might be justified, and in some cases a tax write-off since it is for work purposes LoL. I do like to try the devices so I know what I'm selling to my customers I guess, if that sounds legit. and it's not like I try all the high end flagships, it's usually like the mid to lower end of them, like this time around I got the s21 instead of the Ultra this time around. it felt like the safer option for me considering the Ultra issues last year. I am good friends with the Samsung rep, and he lets me sort of test out the cameras and stuff when he gets them, just before release. I think he does it cause he knows I'm like a kid at Christmas when launches happen LoL. same with the Apple Rep. minus the letting me see the device part. apple is pretty tight lipped about that. Google is the same way- I sell a lot of their units, so they're nice to me. and lg... well... I never really got excited for them since the Lg G3. but that's just me

I will say I don't keep all phones.. so there is that. And I do shop around for the best deal .
Wow you have the best job ever! So cool! And being friends with the Samsung Rep and being able to check out the new releases... That sounds like paradise to me! I too really loved the LG G3 and still love the features mine had!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to be more intelligent about upgrading phones and not just jumping on something because it's 1% better. I have the Pixel 4a and it still fits my needs 99%. Probably another year before I think about upgrading.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'll wait until my current phone starts to go downhill, usually every 3-4 years. I find there just isn't any compelling upgrade features to make me want upgrade, it's a mature technology these days. Using a S10e right now and have no intentions or desire to change. As long as it texts, takes photos, email, phone calls, maps, surfs, apps work I'm good.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm trying to be more intelligent about upgrading phones and not just jumping on something because it's 1% better. I have the Pixel 4a and it still fits my needs 99%. Probably another year before I think about upgrading.
Hopefully not that late, though the SD660 with 6GB RAM on the KEY2 is holding up better than I had expected.

The F(x) Tec Pro 1-X is getting its processor changed from the 835 (which is 4 years old) to the 662, which apparently has very similar performance to the 660 of the KEY2.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'll wait until my current phone starts to go downhill, usually every 3-4 years. I find there just isn't any compelling upgrade features to make me want upgrade, it's a mature technology these days. Using a S10e right now and have no intentions or desire to change. As long as it texts, takes photos, email, phone calls, maps, surfs, apps work I'm good.

What colour S10e did you get? I love that phone! It is definitely a flagship powerhouse in a smaller package!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymousaga