Why does Android Auto not work after the Marshmallow update?

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
How to enable Developer Mode on Samsung Galaxy S6

First, go into Settings.
Scroll all the way down to About Device.
Next, tap on the Software Info section.
Now, you will have to tap seven times on the Build Number field.

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Uncle Elliot, thanks for the info. By doing that, I am once again able to use Android Auto, but in a limited capacity. Previous to the marshmallow update, I had Amazon Prime, Google Play, Pandora, iHeart radio, and Spotify that I could pick from from the Android Auto dropdown menu. Now if I try to go from one app to another, it has the tendacy to freeze. But, at least it is now working...sort of.

I have a followup question. Now that I have enabled developer mode on my S6, should I have any concerns relating to my overall operations in this mode? Thanks in advance.

OtisIsMyCat

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I must acknowledge that even before the Marshmallow update my Android Auto was finicky with my 2016 Civic LX. Just before finally not working at all, I used to connect my phone and this would somehow render the entire audio screen black - as if it were off. My phone is a Galaxy S6

Then, since Marshmallow, I connect my phone and the Android Auto app on my audio screen isn't even there anymore. If I launch the app from my phone it tells me to connect it - when it is, in fact, connected.

Shortly thereafter I will get this very bizarre error message on my phone which, to me, is entirely unrelated to the issue. a) why is it mentioning Apple b) why do I need Smart Switch?

My only thought is that, for some reason, my boyfriend's use of Apple CarPlay in my car is throwing my Android Auto off? Nothing else can explain the error message on my Samsung.

Attachments

• Shared_Image_20160510_123611.jpg
    Shared_Image_20160510_123611.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 12

JLiRD808

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Any luck or updates?

I am considering whether to get a 3rd party head unit with AA or just skip it. It looks great in theory...but these bugs bother me A LOT. I would be FURIOUS if I dropped $700+ on a HU and AA didnt even work!

I'm on Verizon with an LG G3. I ran the AA test on my phone, and it claims it's compatible. Still skeptical though.
https://www.android.com/auto/check/

However, I am in the position where it's about time to upgrade phones anyways...wondering which VZW phones work best with AA.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
If at all possible , I would switch carriers and buy a Nexus5x or 6p. I haven't had any problems with AA related to my Nexus5. It seems with a Nexus you stand the best chance of not having any problems and having maximum compatibility. Also you get the latest Android Updated as soon as they roll out and you can use your hotspot with no extra charge.

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I've had the Kenwood 9702 since last July, and it was super buggy for the first several weeks, but once the kinks were worked out, it has been by far the best 3rd party head unit I have ever had, and not the priciest. Android Auto, once everything works, is by far the best app for vehicles ever. I got about a solid 5 months worth of great performance and then......the Marshmallow update. Since then, it has been screwed up. However, when Samsung, Google, and Kenwood all three admit to the issues at hand, and say they are working on a fix, I liked AA enough that I am going to tread water for a little longer and see if they do offer a fix.

JLiRD808

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
If at all possible , I would switch carriers and buy a Nexus5x or 6p. I haven't had any problems with AA related to my Nexus5. It seems with a Nexus you stand the best chance of not having any problems and having maximum compatibility. Also you get the latest Android Updated as soon as they roll out and you can use your hotspot with no extra charge.

Locked into Verizon with a family share plan....sucks to hear that VZW struggles with AA :mad:

That said, I wonder how going with a VZW Nexus would be.

Uncle Eliot

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a Note 5, Marshmallow on Verizon in a 2016 Honda Accord. AA runs flawlessly. As a matter of fact now I don't even have to change the
USB setting. All I do is connect the phone and AA launches.

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: why does android auto not work after marshmallow update?

Can confirm that the HTC 10 works great with AA. All functions have returned. It's definitely an issue with the version of 6.0 installed on different phone models

Posted via the Android Central App

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Can confirm that the HTC 10 works great with AA. All functions have returned. It's definitely an issue with the version of 6.0 installed on different phone models

Posted via the Android Central App

Mines not working at all. Golf R 2016 and HTC 10 :-(. When I plug it in I get "USB device not supported."
Edit. It's working flawlessly.

Last edited:

mr coolguy face

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I honestly do not think this is exactly a carrier specific issue per say. The differences in experiences / problems across different carriers is a result of the different time frames carriers release updates to different devices. With that being said, I have been using my Motorola Nexus 6 (work phone) with a Kenwood ddx9702s in a 2015 Nissan 370Z for about six months flawlessly. I also was able to use my HTC M9 flawlessly, however I primarily connect with my Nexus. A few weeks ago I plugged my HTC M9 into my HU, android auto loaded up just fine, after about 30 seconds to a minute, it would disconnect. I attempted to troubleshoot the issue to no avail. I simply continued to use my Nexus 6 with no issue, until, June 1, I had a notification that I needed to install a software update (Android security patch level. After downloading the software update, this issue no plagues my Nexus 6 as well. I drive for work, loved using AA and hope to the gods that google fixes this (as it appears they broke it). I have tried dev options, all usb options across both phones and even re rooted my M9 to see if I could dig in an find/fix the issue my self. I am here so the issue is STILL NOT FIXED. Let the waiting begin... :'(

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I honestly do not think this is exactly a carrier specific issue per say. The differences in experiences / problems across different carriers is a result of the different time frames carriers release updates to different devices. With that being said, I have been using my Motorola Nexus 6 (work phone) with a Kenwood ddx9702s in a 2015 Nissan 370Z for about six months flawlessly. I also was able to use my HTC M9 flawlessly, however I primarily connect with my Nexus. A few weeks ago I plugged my HTC M9 into my HU, android auto loaded up just fine, after about 30 seconds to a minute, it would disconnect. I attempted to troubleshoot the issue to no avail. I simply continued to use my Nexus 6 with no issue, until, June 1, I had a notification that I needed to install a software update (Android security patch level. After downloading the software update, this issue no plagues my Nexus 6 as well. I drive for work, loved using AA and hope to the gods that google fixes this (as it appears they broke it). I have tried dev options, all usb options across both phones and even re rooted my M9 to see if I could dig in an find/fix the issue my self. I am here so the issue is STILL NOT FIXED. Let the waiting begin... :'(

It looked as if they were getting close to a fix as AA was working to an extent after manualing doing the USB workaround in developer mode. However, since the last update AA will only work now for less than a minute and then disconnect as you said in your post. I have grown weary waiting for those responsible to clean up the crap they have created. And they know most are stuck in something like a family plan so it appears after over 3 months of screwing up our abilities to use AA....we must be really low on the priority level. MY LAST SAMSUNG PHONE. MY LAST KENWOOD PRODUCT.

Skipma

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site

I have a 2015 sonata that I have my Samsung note 5 using MM that I use along with android auto on Verizon.. I have been using this setup for the past year and over that time I have had to totally reinstall everything on my note 5 three times.. What happens is after the phone has been connected to my sonata and running for a while using the android auto app, the phone looses everything like it's being rooted and I have to reinstall everything again from scratch including all the verizon info.. I end up with a blank screen on the note.. After rebooting the phone, all of my apps and phone info are re-downloaded.. Has anyone else had this problem? ? Thanks for your thoughts. .

Lolamichelle

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site

I have a Nexus 5x running Android 6.0.1 and it will not run AA on my 2017 Cadillac XT5. No one can help me from Cadillac and I can't get any answers from @Android on twitter

theoverlord187

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
This worked for my with my t-mobile edge s7

Turn on developer mode, turn on usb debugging, scroll down the list of options until you see USB configuration change option to MTP

go to your radio manufacturer and update firmware

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Same here using a Galaxy S7 with Android 6.01 and a brand new 2017 Cadillac XT5. Have tried different cables, including the Samsung Cable phone came with, restarting phone, all to no avail

paulsaz

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I had to got to Developer Options, Select USB configuration, and check RNDIS (USB Ethernet) for my Idol 3 with MM and a Kia 2017 Sportage. But I cant find a way to have the phone keep this as a default, and have to change ever-time I plug in to Android Auto.

JKO4

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Here we are at the end of August (months after the original post) and still no solution. I do aot of field work which has made AA a godsend for me... when it works. My new Jetta's head unit came with both AA and Apple Carplay capabilities. I'm getting ready to upgrade phones and this issue alone has me looking at iPhone. No app to even download, just plug and play. It's become an essential part of my job and I need the navigation. I don't need to sit in my car and bumble with settings and multiple cables for a program that was only halfway stable (but brilliant when it worked) when I've got clients to go see. Are you listening, Google? You're about to lose a loyal Android user since 2009 unless you fix this program to a level that I can TRUST it.