Why has my system folder disappeared from view in sounds selection?

AbZu

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
system folder has disappeared from view in sounds selection

In Settings>Sound: the possibility to view the ringtones and notifications options has disappeared. Vibrations sounds can be viewed correctly with the button selection and preview option, however, in Ringtones and Notifications a file list is viewed which is /storage/emulated/0/ . The only other file list possible to view is /storage/extSdCard. No button/preview sound view available. Not possible to navigate from Ringtones and Notifications to the root system files where the default audio files are located: device/system/media/audio

The selected sounds for Ringtones and Notifications are correct and located in the default audio folders but can not be viewed. ¿?
TIA

Ringtones and Notifications options view:
sound notifications .jpg

Vibrations options view:
sound vibrations.jpg

Folder navigation options within Ringtones and Notifications:
sound ringtones.jpg

NOT possible to navigate to default root audio folders within Ringtones and Notifications :
Android device-system-media-audio.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: system folder has disappeared from view in sounds selection

To navigate to the root of the filesystem, the phone has to be rooted.

AbZu

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
What I have tried to illustrate with the attached images is that the default view for viewing sound options and previews as seen in the Vibrations options view has disappeared from the Ringtones and Notifications options views and the file folders viewed in the attached images for the aforementioned sound options is viewed instead. Using a file manager app such as ES File Manager (in my non-rooted phone), I am able to navigate to the /Device/system/media/audio/ folders>> alarms+notifications+ringtones which contain the sounds I am using. However, within Settings/Sound/Ringtones instead of viewing the default options such as illustrated in the Vibrations options view I have the file folder view as illustrated in the attached photos. This has changed for whatever reason and I would like to know how to restore to the default view as in Vibrations options view.
Rukbat, thank you for your reply, although it doe not really address the main issue or solve the problem.

celtica88

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Very bizarre. The exact same thing has happened to my S5 last evening. I will check back in hopes that someone has a solution. I also noticed some issues with other default settings having changed seeming on their own. Strange.

Posted via the Android Central App

AbZu

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if it was your case, however, I had my phone in my pocket with the elevated touch sensitivity on and when I took it out of my pocket there was a slew of windows opened. Clueless as to what could have been configured to create the current scenario and how to restore the default sound options/preview view instead of a folder view. Reviewed installed apps that could have somehow been responsible for the scenario but failed to find a culprit. It did not just occur it was provoked. Bizzare it 'tis.This issue requires a Super Geek solution. Sir/Madame please step forward and illuminate us all. TIA

celtica88

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

My ringtone options are back. I am not sure exactly how I did it, but I believe it was somewhere in the default app selections. As I said, some of those mysteriously changed. I cleared defaults, and reset in settings/applications/ default application s. I restarted phone and went back to ringtone and it gave me the options from which app to use to set ring tones. One was file manager, the other was android media storage. I chose the media. Then options were back. There maybe some new ones. However, my custom choices were gone. No big deal. at least I am back to where I can actually choose again Hope you can, too!

AbZu

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site

celica88, your reply, although quite unclear, did give me a clue as to where to look. It seems that while my phone was in my pocket the default option of viewing the Ringtones and Notifications in Androids Media Storage was changed to ES File Explorer. Easily changed the default option for viewing the audio files from ES File Explorer to Androids Media Storage in: Settings> Applications> Default Applications.[ ES File Explorer >> Androids Media Storage].

Thanks for the tip.

[SOLVED]

Susan Cuerden

May 11, 2015
Visit site
My phone doesn't show the option for ES File Explorer to change it back to android storage :S although I can see all my pictures and music in there !! I have no idea how I have done this either!:-\

AbZu

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Whatever you may have listed in ****, change it to Androids Media Storage
Settings> Applications> Default Applications.[ **** >> Androids Media Storage].