Why is my battery life so unbelievably poor

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Isn't that what people do here though? Come for help and rant about their problems with their devices? I'm simply saying I've tried many avenues I have friends with this phone as well and have compared . I do not use an SD card in my phone . Perhaps I have a faulty device I don't know but what I'm saying is that TouchWiz causes alot of these problems. I've utilized warranty and insursnce. On previous Samsung devices and maybe I will have to on this one but man all the tinkering just to get a days worth of use is getting kinda old to me.

No. People come here to look for help fixing their device, not ranting. That's a whole different thing. You sound as if you've given up with no apparent . So what's the point of ranting? There's also no point in claiming that TouchWiz causes all of these problems when there are more people without problems than those who do. If TouchWiz really was causing problems, then all of us would have experienced it as well. Which means TouchWiz isn't the problem, just your particular device. FYI, TouchWiz isn't just the launcher, it's a lot deeper than that.

To put this in perspective, I've already said before that I've used Samsungs for the years, and never have I needed to use warranty on any of them. So it appears that you have worse luck than I do.

On every single Samsung device I owned, I just turn on, transfer data, install apps then use as I want. No bothersome tinkering. Well ok, I have Tasker macros running to change phone behavior, but no tinkering to take care of lag or any usability problems. Most of my macros are simply changing screen off times depending in app, or volume, or active keyboard on docking etc.

So again, there's really no point in just a random rant here unless you were planning to get advise on how to fix it. And well, it seems like it's something you have to exchange it for and not something you can fix on your own. When you build millions of stuff, lemons are bound to happen. You're just unlucky you're picking them.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
These are forums, where people come to share their opinions/problems/resolves etc. If I wanna come on here and express my opinion on a product I think I'm allowed to do that. Like I said I'm just kind of getting sick of having to download an app here and an app there to make my phone do something, or act in a different way to eek 20 minutes more of battery life out of it. That's my right. I literally came out here and express my frustration and my opinions on the experience that I have had with this phone. I could find resolve all day long in these forums there's plenty of information out there. What I am saying is that TouchWiz is historically more battery consuming then say HTC or even stock Android for that matter. When we talk standby time I can set this phone next to my buddies HTC 10 overnight and my phone will literally drained 10 to 11% while on Wi-Fi while his may drain 2 or 3% tops overnight so if you ask me there is definitely an issue with TouchWiz . I understand signal comes into play with that as well but if I'm in an area where I get full bars on LTE there shouldn't be a lot of battery drain overnight and yet there is it has been that way on all of my Samsung devices. I have owned a Samsung device since the Galaxy S4 I understand how touch wiz works and.i get that it's more then just a launcher. My opinion is that TouchWiz is a battery hog and I'm going to voice that opinion and the frustrations that I've had with TouchWiz so everyone on here can see it I don't care if you agree with me or not that is my opinion.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
These are forums, where people come to share their opinions/problems/resolves etc. If I wanna come on here and express my opinion on a product I think I'm allowed to do that. Like I said I'm just kind of getting sick of having to download an app here and an app there to make my phone do something, or act in a different way to eek 20 minutes more of battery life out of it. That's my right. I literally came out here and express my frustration and my opinions on the experience that I have had with this phone. I could find resolve all day long in these forums there's plenty of information out there. What I am saying is that TouchWiz is historically more battery consuming then say HTC or even stock Android for that matter. When we talk standby time I can set this phone next to my buddies HTC 10 overnight and my phone will literally drained 10 to 11% while on Wi-Fi while his may drain 2 or 3% tops overnight so if you ask me there is definitely an issue with TouchWiz . I understand signal comes into play with that as well but if I'm in an area where I get full bars on LTE there shouldn't be a lot of battery drain overnight and yet there is it has been that way on all of my Samsung devices. I have owned a Samsung device since the Galaxy S4 I understand how touch wiz works and.i get that it's more then just a launcher. My opinion is that TouchWiz is a battery hog and I'm going to voice that opinion and the frustrations that I've had with TouchWiz so everyone on here can see it I don't care if you agree with me or not that is my opinion.

In that scenario (vs HTC10), it is TouchWiz yes, but it's not always because it does drain more battery by design but because of the baked in features. To get the HTC10 battery life, you need to also emulate the lack of features on an HTC10. For example, Samsung has Samsung Cloud. If autobackup is activated, the phone constantly has a process in the background watching network connectivity, uptime, and charging status. That process eats battery, in exchange for an automatic backup of nearly everything on the phone. That is aside from other features where HTC doesn't have an equivalent. Complaining why a less feature filled device is using less battery per hour is like complaining why somebody's car w/o air conditioning runs farther on a gallon than your car with the AC on.

And its not always TouchWiz with a bug. Google's own Backup features bugged out on one of the updates causing massive battery drain. I don't remember if you mentioned Oculus, but that one also caused a massive random battery drain. Those weren't the fault of ToucWiz.

That said however, if you really want to exchange it, then do so. It's your phone. You use it. Get one which pleases you best.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's all agree that frustrating battery drain does occur, and that the added features of TouchWiz may contribute to this -- but not always. The problem is that there are so many variables involved that it can be premature to fault TouchWiz for everything (especially because battery issues are not universal among Samsung device owners).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mod note, please remember

P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
8 months later and I still get great battery life on my Edge. T-Mobile variant, super strong signal here in California and using the adaptable display.

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
The problem has been narrowed down to a system app that cannot be uninstalled - Gear VR Service
I have done everything possible from factory resets to clearing the cache.
The app takes around 15% of my battery a day. I doubt there is anything i can do considering i have all of the oculus apps not installed either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201