Why is my LG G3 boot looping to a blue screen?

xstahsie

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I know this is late but I discovered a fix for the LG G3 "blue screen of death" looping restart problem. It does not require taking the phone apart (just remove the back, battery, sim and SD) and you won't lose your data. Here's how its done:

1. Take the back off the phone, remove the battery, SIM and SD cards.

2. Tape a thin piece of cardboard or tissue to protect sensitive areas (speaker, on/off button,
volume buttons, camera lens, IR eye, flash led). The process requires high heat.

3. Use a hairdryer on high heat and blow the heat over the uncovered areas for
ten (10) minutes.

>>>Do not hold the hairdryer in any one place for more than 15 sec.

>>> Do not use the hairdryer on the screen side of the phone.

4. After 10 minutes, allow the phone to cool from hot to just very warm.

5. Replace the battery without the SIM or SD cards inserted, and turn on the phone.
Your phone should come on to the normal opening screen.

>>>It may take about 2 minutes longer than usual for your phone to startup.
>>>Repeat the heating process if it doesn't work the first time.
Let your phone get a little hotter and do not let it cool as much before starting up.

6. After you get your phone working, turn it off, replace your SIM and SD cards and restart.

I don't know yet if this is a permanent fix so you should backup all your photos,
files and downloads in case the "blue screen of (almost) death" returns.

It worked for me - Hope this works for you!

God bless,
D. Swarn
Hi there,

My G3 blue screen, today. I tried your method twice but my phone still shows the blue screen. The first time I tried it, I let the phone cool to very warm and the second time, I let the phone remain hot.

Any suggestion?

xstahsie

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much! Putting the motherboard (which was SUPER easy to remove) in the oven for 10 minutes at 355 F worked for me! Initially, I tried the hair dryer method (twice) but it didn't work.

Again, thank you!

ganesh81289

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes, LG customer service globally sucks and service centre in #OMAN #Belltell is pathetic, they dont even respond to you with the issue, and take ages to fix it. Also charge you exorbitant amount, while it fails in less than 2 or 3 months from the time it has been fixed. Spend a lot of money already on the product #LGg3 and tierd of #LG

Never again will buy a LG flagship or a low level phone, worst experience ever, including their software team with no updates for ages.

This happened to me even after the motherboard was replaced for the 2nd time. I am done with this phone it sucks big time. They need to stop making phones, not only G3 has problem but G4 also , and eventually their latest flagship V10 might have too

Dear every Lg G3 D855 user . i found the solution for blue screen death and also i solved the heating issue while recording .

Main reason is Very poor Solder board and there is no heat sink for flash memory .
i took out mother board from main unit and i gave 300 degree hot air with smd hot air workstation .for 30 sec
Remove 2 shield cover that covering Ram which looks big and just opposite of it there is flash memory apply wax on all parts .
but be carefull if you heat too much board may burn or damage for ever [/B][/B]
so do this with professional person . there is glass ic also near to flash memory .so do it carefully only for 30 seconds .
after this keep it aside and let it cool for sometime then. assemble it and it will work 110%.

For heating issue keep a small piece of aluminium sheet you can cut it from any heat sink and keep it on the ic just below the power button
you has to remove cover which is beneath power button
Problem solved for ever .

Hi, if this works its great, but it doesnt make sense why such high end device has a problem

Last edited by a moderator:

LGG3FAN

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
Thought my G3 might be scrap after having blue screen problem.
Luckily, found this forum and baked motherboard in oven.. gas mark 5, for 10 minutes.. reassembled and phone became usable again...
2 days later, still working well.
Thanks for the advice.. saved me real money!

Nov 10th 2016.. Update.. Gone back to blue screen problem.. Oh well.. back in the oven!

Last edited:

barbje1967

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
My phone went blue on 22 september 2016 and I did the oven thing. Unbelievable, but it worked again. Today, one month later it went blue again. I did the same thing in the oven and it is working again!!! I am happy but I am going to buy a new phone.

Raul Huber

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Try replacing your battery. Usually, they have a two years lifespan. When dead for no reason, most likely, is the battery.

Had similar issue, for no reason, went in bootloops. Flashing new didn't fix it.

Replaced the battery, hard reset, then re-flashed it just to be safe.

Worked like a charm.

Ramses2

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem

I wanted to test this ROM (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=312968873555005062) Zephyros-7.0-d855-Rallinth-6.0
Information on the ROM: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106728616656219510071/posts/GfcSXJtLZNV?cfem=1
To install, you had to install the ROM, the Bump and then Gapps 7.0
After the first start, everything went well. I rebooted into recovery to install Gapps. The installation went well, but suddenly the screen went completely blue.
I removed the battery and reset, started in recovery mode to restore my backup, but the screen becomes blue quickly.
Now my G3 unbootable
Even plugged in, no charge light blinks
What can I do, I'm stuck
thank you in advance for your help

nutellacake

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
The blue screen appeard on my LG G3 2 days ago and it wouldn't turn on properly ever since. My warranty has already expired so i searched for fixes and found this thread. I took out the motherboard using the instuctions from a video on yt and put the motherboard in the oven for 10 minutes at 180C (360F). I had so little hope for ever fixing my phone, but it acually worked. I let it cool down and turned it on, the data was all still there. Also taking the phone apart and putting it together is way easier that i thought it would be.

Hadar Szostak

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I did the oven trick and it worked.
But now my phone's battery is darin very fast, the phone is overheating also a warrning is displayed for overheating, and the reception is not good. Any idea why ?

The phone was 5 minutes at 180 degrees

Last edited:

tripleup05

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
My LG G3 got the blue screen of death as well. I decided just to go with the Asurion insurance replacement instead of trying the oven trick, so for a $100 deductible. I now have to return my G3 to Asurion. To put it very bluntly, I'm not a tech guy. I don't know squat about phones. Do I need to be concerned about my data that was on the G3?. The phone won't boot up at all...it just goes to a blue screen then shuts itself off after a few seconds. Is there a way I can wipe it? Remove the motherboard and microwave it then stick it back in the phone? Or maybe I shouldn't even worry about it since it seems the phone is completely fried?

Harry wongcw

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much...!!!!!!
I had the same problem last night,
then I found this post...

I trusted you guys and tried at home, and its GREAT!!!!

180C, 10 mins, cool down, reassemble your phone, then its done
After saving the phone, I immediately uploaded all my data to my PC,
since I think this phone will die again very soon.

Harry wongcw

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much...!!!!!!
I had the same problem last night,
then I found this post...

I trusted you guys and tried at home, and its GREAT!!!!

180C, 10 mins, cool down, reassemble your phone, then its done
After saving the phone, I immediately uploaded all my data to my PC,
since I think this phone will die again very soon.

I open my forum account because of this great news

almararn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same problem with my LG G3, and really thought the baking solution was a joke. But my phone was not working anymore so I had nothing to lose. So I placed the mainboard into the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes, and it worked!! it really worked. For how long I don't know, but I was able to get all my data of the phone and will be using it until it dies again.

My phone started to act up 2 months ago, starting with not being able to read and use the SD card, It had become slow and wasn't working very well, I thought it was just time for a restore. Now after baking the mainboard the SD slot works again, and the phone processing power is back to normal, with much improvement. So I can only guess that the processor was loosing contact with the SD card, and wasn't performing at 100% or dealing with a lot of errors before.

It seems obvious that the processor is loosing contact with the mainboard, and the baking solution seems to restore that, at least temporarily. I would like to get feedback from LG about this defect and a fix for it! It also surprised me that a processor that heats this much does not have a heat sink or thermal paste to transfer the heat into the metal frame, instead of overheating it's own soldering.

IMG_20161123_100044.jpgIMG_20161123_100112.jpgIMG_20161123_220520.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161123_100044.jpg
    IMG_20161123_100044.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20161123_100112.jpg
    IMG_20161123_100112.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20161123_220520.jpg
    IMG_20161123_220520.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 9

Kymcasaus

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Just signed in to ask you guys that baked their motherboards a question:
I got the blue screen of death too.
An important follow up is that I went through an annoying chat with LG but found up they're owning up to the malfunction and will replace the motherboard for free (this is at least here in Canada). I do need to send it to them and it'll take ~7-10 business days.
They will not recover any of the data though; and I also went to a local fix store and they said it's a complex and expensive fix and no guarantee that I'll get the data. They claim the bake method also requires a re-install of operating system afterwards and that most data will be lost by doing that.

So here's my question: did you guys have to do anything other than baking, cooling and re-assembling?
Was your data there?
Is there any visible change to the motherboard?
Because right now I'm seriously considering trying this method and if it works, downloading all my data and sending them the device to replace the motherboard; except for this malfunction I'm happy with the phone and they've stated the newer motherboards don't have the same defect.

Any comments would be super welcome!

Thanks!

Can you please tell me who to contact to send my phone in for repair at LG

dapretendr

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I just called support, they said my phone is out of warranty. it was a known issue and extended it to 18 months, but my phone is about 22 months so, So SORRY.
no Sorry LG, my next phone will not be an LG.

dextorboot

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
My wife's G3 started having trouble with the camera. Every time she opened it the screen would go purple. If she closed it the phone was fine. Then a couple of days ago she started getting the blue screen of boot loop. Occasionally it would boot all the way but eventually it go back to the blue screen boot loop. I found this thread and by Jove baking the motherboard at 300 degrees for 10 minutes has given it some more life. The camera is even back to working.

Worse still is it's on a small business account so replacing it is becoming an issue. But at the very least she can get what she needs off it.

Either way. Thanks everyone for this fix even if it's only temporary.

razz0529

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi Trent I am needing to get my LG G3 back up and running because it contatins evidence for a very important upcoming court date. if you dont mind can you give specific instructions on how to heat up the motherboard after removing. Do let the oven preheat first. At what temperature and how long should I wait for it to cool down after taking it out of the oven

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz