Why Note 4 = $850 on ATT. Any way to get it cheaper?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm really sad that AT&T is price gouging on the note: 20% more than Verizon/Sprint/Tmobile ($700).

I'm feeling ripped off.

Any solutions (other than switching carriers, which I might do).

I'm thinking about Tmobile in Philadelphia.

Thanks,
Mike

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The TMobile version is cheaper right off the bat ($725ish) and its unlocked, as I understand it, so you can use it with AT&T. There is also $200 rebate from Samsung that makes it even more economical.

from the Elegance

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, the A series of Samsung phones has a locked bootloader (so does the V [Verizon] series) if that matters to you. A lot of people are using the F (Universal) series for AT&T.

Second, look for a phone on Amazon. They're new, you can get service and insurance and they'll probably be a lot cheaper. I've seen unlocked 910Fs for a little over $600 on Amazon.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought when I previously investigated the international unlocked versions of the Note on Amazon the problem is you wouldn't get USA LTE, so I stopped looking.

Was I wrong?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a rooter. Is that what the boot-loader comment means? I just want it to work on AT&T like a legit purchased from AT&T phone would work.

Ms Charli

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Check ebay I just bought my note 4 for 399. Just search for note 4 on att. My phone came in excellent condition and I gonna say it was a new phone just had to be listed different since I bought it non contract unlocked.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Just called AT&T. Here's what I learned. The "international unlocked" doesn't support LTE frequencies.

If I buy it from Tmobile I need to get the updates to tMobile as the check-for-updates process is tied to the sim, even though the actual download happens via wifi.

The N910C :
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-N910C...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4569988

Does have all the right frequencies. The updates would come from samsung (not bloat ware).

For my final question: if I buy it from amazon for $582, can I still get that $200 rebate from samsung, or is that only for phones purchased from samsung?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It does say: "Purchase at a participating carrier or national retailer of your choice. Offer valid from 7/7/15 to 7/26/15."

Is amazon considered a national retailer?

rubytuesday922

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Good luck getting a straight answer from Samsung Promotions/ Prizelogic

Here is the response I received regarding this issue:

Thank you for your interest in The Notable Savings Offer. You may purchase your device from a retailer of your choice, including but not limited to: Amazon, eBay, Best Buy, or Costco. When purchasing your device from the retailer, please keep in mind that you will not be eligible for this offer if another promotion is applied at checkout. For a definitive determination please register and submit your receipt for our moderation team to review

This is a completely vague response to my direct question. When they say eBay and Amazon, it is likely only through authorized channels such as Best Buy eBay and products sold directly by Amazon. But they wont tell you all of that information until you buy it and enter the serial numbers.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
AT&T dropped the price to $685 because the Note 5 is coming real soon !!!

I decided I am likely to switch from AT&T to t-mobile so I'm not going to try and pounce on the $200 rebate.

If the Note 5 has no removable battery, I will get an LG G4 or Note 4 and try to get the best deal I can then.

Thanks everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlgulliver