Why S8+ and not S8?

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I was going to say, if the next iPhone follows suit it's a done deal.

Question...is there a way for Apple to make money by following suit on the screen change? That's when Apple usually makes the change.

Are you that naive? You think these devices are made overnight? These guys are all in cahoots with one and other, they plan things out YEARS before we, the simple consumer, gets to know about them. Don't be blind, Apple/Microsoft, CocaCola/Pepsi, CVS/Walgreens, it's the "good cop/bad cop" business model.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I said shows were made in hd b4 they were broadcast in hd. You proved my point. To this day you can watch it in hd but even though it was filmed the opening credits to this day for the 1st season are sd.

Bottom line is there was a MOVEMENT toward HD. Had a company without warning simply started building HD Tv's nobody would have purchased them because there would be nothing to watch on them. From day 1 if HD sales you could watch HD on DVD.

Are you predicting HTC, GOOGLE, Lg etc will all start building these weird phones now? I don't think so. We'll see who is right.
Shows were not shot in HD before they were broadcast. They were shot on 35mm film and converted to digital for broadcast in HD.

It took a while for equipment to catch up for filming in digital. Not only did video cameras need to catch up but storage, ie hard drives, had to come down in price. In the late 90s and early 2000's it was tremendously expensive to store mass amounts of digital media.

Again, you need to do research and understand what you are talking about.

Who knows what other manufacturers will do. We will find out later this year.

By the way, the is no such thing as HD on DVD. The most you got out of DVD was 480p.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Perry Mason was shot on film in the 1950's! There was no thought of HD. It was the first weekly tv show shot on film.

You have done a masterful job of changing the subject but there is still no great movement toward this new ratio unlike the movement to 16:9 which Congress actually mandated.

Let me know when Netflix starts broadcasting in whatever the weird ratio is in these phones.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you that naive? You think these devices are made overnight? These guys are all in cahoots with one and other, they plan things out YEARS before we, the simple consumer, gets to know about them. Don't be blind, Apple/Microsoft, CocaCola/Pepsi, CVS/Walgreens, it's the "good cop/bad cop" business model.
I'll do what the mods have told me to do here and not reply directly to you.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Even if there was a movent for a new viewing ratio it would take time to implement and this phone would be obsolete by the time it happened .

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Perry Mason was shot on film in the 1950's! There was no thought of HD. It was the first weekly tv show shot on film.

You have done a masterful job of changing the subject but there is still no great movement toward this new ratio unlike the movement to 16:9 which Congress actually mandated.

Let me know when Netflix starts broadcasting in whatever the weird ratio is in these phones.
Seriously? Read. I already said Netflix and Amazon have original shows filmed in 2:1.

I schooled you on aspect ratio, what HD is, and most other things under the sun. I'm sure you would like to say I'm changing the subject.

IMDB says over 700 shows and films have been shot in 2:1, including shows from Netflix and Amazon.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh, and Congress didn't mandate 16x9, they mandated a move from analog to digital broadcasting do they could auction off the very valuable analog spectrum.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
We'll see when every other brand and every app on playstore are available in what is it? 1.85:1?No I won't research it. If it doesn't happen within the next year or two buyers are stuck with a device that requires cropping to fill the screen.

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
We'll see when every other brand and every app on playstore are available in what is it? 1.85:1?No I won't research it. If it doesn't happen within the next year or two buyers are stuck with a device that requires cropping to fill the screen.

Last time I checked there is more to a phone than just watching videos. The point of the 2:1 ratio is to have a taller screen to allow more content without having to scroll up and down. It also provides more usable space to do things like multi-window properly. If you don't like the phone or it's aspect ratio then don't buy it. It's really that simple.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Then it is real simple. Don't order one.
I never order. I buy in store. I'm waiting for Note 8. It it also is 2.05 to 1 aspect I will make a decision. I hope. it isn't bit Samsung tends to carry these trends like all of them have the curved edges now. I expect the Note 8 to look the same. Maybe bigger but the same ratio. If so I might even buy an S8+. I'm hoping there are enough complaints that they return to 16/9 like they returned to the removable sd card after removing it. The 835 processor sounds great so no question I will want some phone that has it. We'll see what Pixel 2 and LG V30 look like.

I am still attracted to Samsung because despite all I think it has the best snapshot camera. I like it better than Pixel.

Is HDMI disabled in S8/8+ as with 7 series?

Just looked it up. HDMI works! That's a big positive for me. There is an official Sammy adapter. The Dex Dock also looks interesting and Miracast is supported. Those are huge features for me.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
But there is no big movement to this new standard. Why be the beta tester? This would be like. owning an HD TV before there was a single thing available in HD.

TV shows were produced in 16:9 for years before they were even available for viewing by any device. If all the games and movies and tv and youtube were already available in this format it would make sense.

When the "future" establishes a new standard and virtually everything is available in that standard THAT is when you change.

And by the way. It sucks to look at anything in this narrow view. Movies, tv, games whatever. Even if they fit they look stupid.

The bars on a black fronted phone won't even really be noticable. IMO.