Why S8+ and not S8?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Not to long ago 4x3 was a standard and people thought 16x9 was crazy. Things change. And 16x9 isn't the future.
Catch here being most devices and content are not the S8 ratio, nor will it be for the life of this device. Even if the content fit it is cropped on the corners due to the corner curves that make no functional sense.

Cropped content or smaller due to side black bars are the options here. Hopefully the Note 8 is current Note ratio. I expect it will be, since most professionals will not like the smaller width portrait display space.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Catch here being most devices and content are not the S8 ratio, nor will it be for the life of this device. Even if the content fit it is cropped on the corners due to the corner curves that make no functional sense.

Cropped content or smaller due to side black bars are the options here. Hopefully the Note 8 is current Note ratio. I expect it will be, since most professionals will not like the smaller width portrait display space.
Something has to come first. There's no drive to create content if technology isn't available for so that it can be viewed.

When the first 16x9 HDTV launched in 1998 there was virtually nothing to watch but 4:3. Later that year some broadcasts started and grew a little during 1999. Finally HDTV broadcast got it's big selling point with the Superbowl in 2000. Then it exploded.

4k was the same way. Other than NHK in Japan, there was virtually no push for 4k content when 4k first got the shelves a couple years ago. Now things are really ramping up but there's a long way to go. And the next standard, 8k, is already in play by NHK again but we seem to be quite a few years from 8k TV sets and even further from them being affordable.

2:1 content is out there, it's being used, but devices in that aspect ratio haven't existed until now. Will it take off? We will see.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Something has to come first. There's no drive to create content if technology isn't available for so that it can be viewed.

When the first 16x9 HDTV launched in 1998 there was virtually nothing to watch but 4:3. Later that year some broadcasts started and grew a little during 1999. Finally HDTV broadcast got it's big selling point with the Superbowl in 2000. Then it exploded.

4k was the same way. Other than NHK in Japan, there was virtually no push for 4k content when 4k first got the shelves a couple years ago. Now things are really ramping up but there's a long way to go. And the next standard, 8k, is already in play by NHK again but we seem to be quite a few years from 8k TV sets and even further from them being affordable.

2:1 content is out there, it's being used, but devices in that aspect ratio haven't existed until now. Will it take off? We will see.
If Apple does it then prepare for lift off.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I just want to know for the ones who will buy the S8+ their reason to buy it.Do u think S8 is really not big enough or just you're used to big phones.I've always had samsund S series phones.But I feel now that my S7 is too small.Is the S8 enough bigger than the S7?

The S8 just feels too small in the hand. Some people prefer that. I prefer a bigger device and that 6.2" screen is a thing of beauty.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Since there is so much discussion on this maybe somebody could post a video playing on the phone itself so we can see what it looks like and help clam some nerves about poor ratio?

Here is some impute​ on LGs new screen ratio or at least one review

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...ll&share_tid=null&share_fid=3793&share_type=b
null
Clam what? Objective fact most content will be cropped or smaller with black bars. If you don't mind, enjoy the device. I literally left BB twenty minutes ago trying it out again for a forth time and still prefer my Note 4 display ratio for content.

The more I use the 8+ the less I like the display corner curves and ratio. The curves in the corners bug me more than the ratio.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Why S8+ and not S8?"

Even though I'm not buying an S8 at the moment, the larger screen makes it much more attractive and useful in my eyes. I like big screens.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I mean so is everyone who owns an iPad. So I guess that iPad thing will just never catch on, will it?
The bigger the screen the less the black bars bother me. A phone is much smaller than my iPads. The thing is I am usually home when I use iPad so I don't watch tv shows on it. I often watch tv shows and sports on my Note 3 or V20

I like the 1 hr dramas and documentaries on Netflix and Xfinity on Demand.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I just left Best Buy. If you aren't looking at them side by side you almost would think they were the same size. I mean one is obviously larger than the other but it's not that noticeable like it was last year. For that alone I think it's worth going for the slightly larger screen and larger battery.

same here. I like the larger battery but I love bigger screens. I hate small phones. The S7 Edge is too small for me to hold even with a case and I hate texting on it because it's smaller. The Note 7 was much easier to type on.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I was going to say, if the next iPhone follows suit it's a done deal.

Question...is there a way for Apple to make money by following suit on the screen change? That's when Apple usually makes the change.

I think Apple is very big on one-handed use and the only way to achieve this would be for them to shorten the width. They are probably coming out with curved screens as well. Once you've done that, the only way to make the screen bigger is to make it longer. I don't think it's so far fetched, but I agree - they usually need an incentive to do something like that if it's not something that they want to force on people.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think Apple is very big on one-handed use and the only way to achieve this would be for them to shorten the width. They are probably coming out with curved screens as well. Once you've done that, the only way to make the screen bigger is to make it longer. I don't think it's so far fetched, but I agree - they usually need an incentive to do something like that if it's not something that they want to force on people.
According to this article it appears that Apple is coming out with a curved screen this year. They are also introducing wireless charging. Both of these features have been made big from Samsung, but now it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread and all Apple did is copy Samsung again. I am assuming the Apple phone released with the curved screen will be the $1,000 version that is being rumored.

A side note, if Apple does change the screen ratio like LG and Samsung then IMO the filming industry will change. It doesn't appear that will happen though this time around, according to article, the biggest screen is going to be 5.5 inches, the curved screen version is going to be 5.2 inches.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Apple-has-ordered-70m-units-of-OLED-panels-sources?page=1

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Good! There"s always a chance for a 16/9 comeback. Typing in landscape. mode in Tapatalk should be fun. Either there won't be room for the words at the top or the "keys" will have to be skinny like the screen. Most may type in portrait mode but I always use landscape. Of course I am typo king and some of you can fly through the keys without looking.

No question the S8+ is selling a lot. of phones so this will be the direction of the future. Most of you will love the new aspect. I'm always resistant to change. Heck I still don't like the curves! Anyway I def prefer the 8+ to the 8

A 5.5 iPhone with smaller bezels and a 16/9 flat screen might attract my attention too.

I always thought that when they reduced bezels width would remain the same and overall length of phone would be shorter. oops

I'd be satisfied if apple. took off only the top bezel so a real button could remain in the bottom. I will miss the Sammy button too. I love how capacitive buttons in bezel retain screen space

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
A side note, if Apple does change the screen ratio like LG and Samsung then IMO the filming industry will change. It doesn't appear that will happen though this time around, according to article, the biggest screen is going to be 5.5 inches, the curved screen version is going to be 5.2 inches.

Interesting. I think Apple has received more pushback with their "plus" phones because they are a bit unwieldy due to form factor where Samsung and others have been able to have screens just as big or bigger using a smaller form factor. I am surprised their curved screen is actually going to be smaller. Aren't they buying these screens from Samsung?

The more I read, the more I notice that the expectation is that more and more smartphones are going with the 18:9 ratio (save Sony for now) so the 18.5:9 ratio that Samsung is using on the S8/S8+ seems like to me forward thinking and is here to stay. I read that the .5 extra on Samsung might be to accommodate soft buttons.

Netflix is already producing their programming in 18:9 and in some article they said LG hinted that Samsung and Apple will follow suit this year with 18:9 ratio screens. Samsung did - it will be interesting if Apple did too.

Funny how people weren't all up in arms with the 18:9 screen on the G6 and the black bars on that screen when watching standard video.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
For me I prefer the larger screen and overall size. Its very close to the Note 7 I had and I loved that phone

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I've always been very much a tablet guy, with my phone being a secondary device. Always wanted a phone that for most uses could replace my tablet but nothing yet has been able to do so. I'm hoping the 6.2 inch screen will be able to replace the tablet for everything except for the largest needs, such as magazine
Didn't Samsung come out with a like 7 inch phone a few years back.... I think they called it the Galaxy Mega? Did you get that phone I think it was around the Note 2 time frame.