• Welcome to the all-new Android Central Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues please let us know in this thread!

Why will my Galaxy S4 allow me to SIM Unlock?

SwampDonky910

Jan 24, 2016
Why will my galaxy s4 not allow me to SIM Unlock

I have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 model SCH-1545 android version 5.0.1
I used the straight talk bring your own phone plan and now I can make and receive calls but cannot connect to mobile data. I purchased and unlock code but the phone never prompts me for it. I have taken the sim in and out, tried using the "magic numbers" in the dial pad and even put the phone in developer mode to no avail. I also cannot change the APN settings at all. It just shows VZWINTERNET. I cannot alter the current settings or create any new settings, all of those options are greyed out and cannot be selected. somebody please help me. I thank you all in advance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Re: Why will my galaxy s4 not allow me to SIM Unlock

I purchased and unlock code but the phone never prompts me for it
That means 1 of 2 things - the phone is locked to the carrier the SIM is from (and for a Straight Talk Verizon phone, that would be Verizon) or it's not locked. In the case of Verizon, it's not locked.

I also cannot change the APN settings at all. It just shows VZWINTERNET.
That's the problem. You have to change the settings (or create a new APN) with Straight Talk's settings. If flashing a stock ROM won't allow you to do that, I suspect a hardware problem.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Re: Why will my galaxy s4 not allow me to SIM Unlock

Well, ask for a refund on your code because VZW phones are already unlocked, that is why it does not prompt you for the network unlock code.

As for editing the APN, just create a new one with Straight Talk's settings and voila!