wifi 6 is great! Note 10+

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah the S10+ and Note 10+ are the ones with the new wifi. You should definitely upgrade your router.

you are right. I have an old n600 dualband that appeared on amazon in 2004 :) a netgear wndr3700v2. It actually works pretty good until recently even though I have over 50 smart device connections around my apartment. Alexa has been a bit slow lately and tells me to check wifi connections even though it does what I asked it to. trying to decide if it is a wink or router issue but that is a problem for another time and in another forum.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
doesn't help. everything chokes and re-initialization is a nightmare, even with an outage. need to reboot my system right now and won't because of the work bringing it all back up. been there...
^^^^
use the same ssid/password and you should not have any issues with too many smart things and a new router. might have to do a power cycle on the device but that is about all.

too many to waste time on

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
^^^^

too many to waste time on

I changed one time before returning the router (did not like the antennas) and just about every thing work and those (wemo) that did not, just pulled from the power then plugged back i(even though almost gave myself a concussion from crawling under furniture). that is why I thought I might work for you too. I have cree/ge/hue bulbs, honeywell thermostats, wemo/tp linked plugs. alexa/google home. and a bunch of tvs, computers and other devices. was a good thing only the wemos had the problem.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
that is why I thought I might work for you too.
under normal circumstances, it would be a big pita. these are not those circumstances. dog with a broken leg, poor health/difficulty walking, etc. it's just too much right now. I'll get a new one when it dies and deal with it then. by then I'll have even more smart devices so it will really be fun...

may try to get a new modem and a new router at the same time and only need to do everything once, all things equal.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
under normal circumstances, it would be a big pita. these are not those circumstances. dog with a broken leg, poor health/difficulty walking, etc. it's just too much right now. I'll get a new one when it dies and deal with it then. by then I'll have even more smart devices so it will really be fun...

may try to get a new modem and a new router at the same time and only need to do everything once, all things equal.

hopefully using the same ssid and password will work otherwise you will have a mess. some devices you will have to start from scratch.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site

Strange why you would have issues with your connected devices like that. I have 33 devices connected to WiFi and not one required a restart or reprogram. All I did was use the same wifi name and password and it was like nothing changed only better signals and no slow downs.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
hopefully using the same ssid and password will work otherwise you will have a mess. some devices you will have to start from scratch.

I won't for the modem, but it's old and needs to be changed. router equally old/needs changing. so I'll do everything once. that simple/not that simple. it may last for years or a year, who knows? not new with these. walked this unfortunate mile before.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
use the same ssid/password and you should not have any issues with too many smart things and a new router. might have to do a power cycle on the device but that is about all.

While this will work, wireless ac 5ghz bands may not have as strong a signal as older 2.4ghz standards. I've found it to be better to use a seperate ssid for devices that can use 5ghz ac to force it to use it. Using the same ssid for all your bands can cause your devices to connect to the 2.4 ghz bands as 2.4 ghz call be detected as a stronger signal. If imagine the same is true of ax bands. For the most part, the difference in bandwidth makes up for the somewhat lower signal strength at my home.

That said, unless your internet is fast enough to make use of wireless ax speeds, the only improvement you will see is when transferring data within your home network. I probably won't make the switch to ax unless faster internet becomes available in my area or my current ac router dies and I find a good deal on one.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had the need for one of these. .

Been on the same 80/20meg FTTC for 9 years with no change in sight for the next year or so.

Anything that needs internal data pushed about is done wired.

Looks great though.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
While this will work, wireless ac 5ghz bands may not have as strong a signal as older 2.4ghz standards. I've found it to be better to use a seperate ssid for devices that can use 5ghz ac to force it to use it. Using the same ssid for all your bands can cause your devices to connect to the 2.4 ghz bands as 2.4 ghz call be detected as a stronger signal. If imagine the same is true of ax bands. For the most part, the difference in bandwidth makes up for the somewhat lower signal strength at my home.

That said, unless your internet is fast enough to make use of wireless ax speeds, the only improvement you will see is when transferring data within your home network. I probably won't make the switch to ax unless faster internet becomes available in my area or my current ac router dies and I find a good deal on one.

Coverage use to be an issue And after using the new router for almost a week, I'm noticing that my Note 10+ just ignores the 2GHz band now cause the new router is capable of pushing the 5GHz band signal strength just as good as the 2GHz. I use to have dead spots in my home with the 5GHz network and now I don't. I can say the ax (wifi 6) is far better than ac. I have over 30 devices connected to WiFi and another plus is the router is tri band so I set up all my smart devices like security cameras, smart outlets, smart speakers, TV's on the 2GHz network. And have all cell phones and tablets on one 5 GHz network. The third 5GHz network is a gaming network I use for PC's, PlayStation and Xbox.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

It seems most IT guys say Band Steering is the preferred method for dealing with this. Yes, 2.4 does a better job of penetrating walls and stuff. Band steering will help favor 5GHz, but still be able to switch to 2.4 if the signal gets too week. My access points allow you to set the aggressiveness of the band steering, I think it is a fairly standard feature of most modern routers and access points. That being said, I still typically set up 3 SSID's - A general one with both bands (and utilizing band steering), and one each for 2.4 and 5 that I use mostly for testing purposes. I also have some WiFi Infrared transmitters by Broadlink that seem to have a problem connecting to a dual band SSID and will only work on an isolated 2.4.

Then again, if you know your environment, and how your 5GHz signal works around your house, and you want to be sure you are only using 5GHz, it may not be important what method is technically preferred. I did the same thing for years. Just adding another perspective to the discussion.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

though you post provided some great information, the intent of my post was not about signals and such, it was about getting everything to work again. once that is done, it would be easier to make changes to have a more efficient wifi setup.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe