Galaxy S22 keeps dropping wifi

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I've seen some articles about the Ultra having some dropped wifi issues but nothing about the standard S22. My wifi is constantly dropping out. The message in settings says it will reconnect when the internet is more stable. So it's still connected to the router (Netgear Wifi 6 Orbit mesh system) but thinks the signal is somehow degraded. No other devices in my house drop the connection, ever. I promise I searched this forum first and got next to nothing for results.

MaidUp13

Banned
May 15, 2021
Visit site
I've been experiencing a strange lag in connection. My wifi runs my alarm and a few smart plugs and my Android. The the signal strength is full but still it can take several seconfd to connect. Sometimes I get tired of watching the spinning and close out. If I'm using my own WiFi, with very little connrcted to it, stress to reason it would be pretty fast or at the very least an average decent speed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've seen some articles about the Ultra having some dropped wifi issues but nothing about the standard S22. My wifi is constantly dropping out. The message in settings says it will reconnect when the internet is more stable. So it's still connected to the router (Netgear Wifi 6 Orbit mesh system) but thinks the signal is somehow degraded. No other devices in my house drop the connection, ever. I promise I searched this forum first and got next to nothing for results.
You use a VPN or Ad guards?

dorkomatic

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Nope, company forces it to run 24/7. If I disconnect from VPN, I'll have to submit a ticket to my IT to reconnect. It's a super PITA.
Try turning off the toggles for "Turn on WiFi automatically" and "WiFi Power Saving Mode" in the Advanced menu of WiFi settings. Also, toggle off "WiFi Scan Throttling" in the Developer Options. It worked for me as I was having the same issues on my S22.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Try turning off the toggles for "Turn on WiFi automatically" and "WiFi Power Saving Mode" in the Advanced menu of WiFi settings. Also, toggle off "WiFi Scan Throttling" in the Developer Options. It worked for me as I was having the same issues on my S22.

The first two you mention are already off in wifi advanced settings. I did turn off throttling in dev options, so we'll see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, not sure I understand. There is my work laptop on the same wifi network also connected to work VPN, but that's a different client than the one on my phone.
What I meant is if you have any personal only devices that don't use VPN. If it's the fault of the VPN then perhaps you could get your employer to issue a device for work only, so you could have separate personal device without needing the VPN.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
What I meant is if you have any personal only devices that don't use VPN. If it's the fault of the VPN then perhaps you could get your employer to issue a device for work only, so you could have separate personal device without needing the VPN.

Oh, gotcha. I do have many personal devices without VPN and they all seem to function just fine. Maybe it is the VPN service?

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Since your WiFi is mesh, is there a way to specify only 2.4 or 5 for your phone? I've definitely had issues with devices jumping back and forth on both bands and had to manually set them up for only one band. I've also had issues with new devices connecting, and reinstalling the router firmware has cleared it up.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Since your WiFi is mesh, is there a way to specify only 2.4 or 5 for your phone? I've definitely had issues with devices jumping back and forth on both bands and had to manually set them up for only one band. I've also had issues with new devices connecting, and reinstalling the router firmware has cleared it up.

It's already set to 5Ghz so I don't think that's the issue.