WiFi Authentication errors! !!

Simon Saiddothis

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I have been through all threads I could possibly find to try a solve this issue for my Note II (which is awesome) and tried everything except rooting the phone with no luck. I finally managed to get Telecom New Zealand to take it back and send it to their technicians (Telegistics ltd). I have just been told they had to replace the motherboard completely and it now works fine. The phone is basically new once again. I think Samsung have some answering to do.:eek:

Yung Siks

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
A firmware update also fixed my authentication issues. I have a DLink router that is several years old. It is a good "rule of thumb" to check for firmware updates every year or so.

I did have to reconfigure my router again (admin password was reset after the update, as well as all of my custom settings), which isn't a huge problem for me. I downloaded the update zip file directly from the DLink website (know your model number ahead of time for easy searching), unzipped it, "browsed" and added the file through the router admin page (copy and paste your router's IP address into your preferred browser's "address bar" to access your router's "admin" page. Most routers use the same default IP address(somewhat dependent on brand). Google your brand of router, should be easy to find), then clicked the "upload" button.

So it is possible that performing a "hard reset" to the router may also be a solution (there should be an indented reset button on the back or side of the router. pushing and/or holding the button down should reset it to default factory settings). I had turned off my wireless signal from my router since I've had it, because I prefer to hardwire all of my network. So I had to re-setup my wireless settings anyway. I am just glad that I was able to fix the issue.
I just acquired a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1in, and it connected almost instantly as soon as I finished the wireless, internet network setups, and reboot.

Good luck to everyone out there experiencing similar connecting issues. I hope this post helped. :)

Norven Caracas

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Can somebody pls. help me something is wrong with the tablet of my aunt's android and the problem is we didn't put a lock for the wifi but it has so i tried using the wifi password but still wont connect and saying authentication because of that I was blamed by my aunt for changing the setting of the wifi even i didn't do anything to make the wifi not work. Is there a solution to the problem and also why this happened to prove my innocence about the problem?
PLS. help me i hate people that blames me for something I didn't do.

94GTLaserRC

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I just in a new XFInity router/modem combo. ..Did not do this before, but now it does it with ALL the smart phones in my house AND both my Galaxy Note and my kid's Ipad. Also with their Ipods. Does not do this with wireless laptops.

It shows my network and says "Saved/Secure" but gives my "Authentication Error". ONLY solution, and it works everytime is to reset the modem...THEN all my devices connect again without reentering the password.

SOMEBODY HELP!!

RC

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I haven't been on for the past month or two whereas I had visited daily since I bought the Note 10.1 in April... then slacked off mid-summer.

This is a serious, widespread problem nobody yet everybody talks about. Mostly people don't understand it and they accuse the end-user aka Victim of doing something wrong, not understanding something, not configuring something, etc. I notice it has a LOT of people affected that use Comcast Xfinity ...which I do as well. it all started when we called them to say we were gonna switch to Verizon Fios back in late March. They said, we will give you a whole new service package for less money and more stuff if you stay. So we agreed. Wound up with 6 months of 50 MBPs DL/10 ul for less than we were paying for 16/6. BUT IT only came as a package deal, which meant we took voice (Home Phone number) in addition to the internet and cable we already had.

THIS MEANT, A New "cable modem" which they call a Gateway. IT's an Arris which is a modem, a wireless router, and the phone gateway device. THIS IS WHEN THE PROBLEMS STARTED, and I have done countless hours of Googling Deeeeep into the internet and other people with Arris gateways suffer this Wifi authentication problem big time. ** We wound up demanding Comcast give us a new gateway... we could not take it anymore. " .

They gave us a new one ...basically the same. My model #'s escape me now but it was one digit higher, we had a say, Arris 582 and got a 682. And it generally works now. We *did not* log into the settings and change a thing. I set it up, plugged it in and let it rip. And so far so good.

Anyone who continues to suffer this problem that has a provider-given gateway/modem/router, I would ask for a new one. Those who have their own appear to be screwed into making a decision- keep everything status quo and keep the problems , or either get a new internet setup or new tablet. THAT TOTALLY SUCKS, but in my opinion it seems like the only solution. Because it is a real problem and it did not go away until I radically changed out setup.

Ok hope this info was helpful if not hard to read and accept, for that I know, sorry it sucks.

tAKticool

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
This did not help me bit has helped may other people ← I encourage people to try messing within their Bluetooth settings and cycle on / off to see it that help them.

jeffro77

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I see this issue at work with both my Note 10.1 and my Note 2; I do NOT see the issue at home, at my sister's, or when using my Note 2 as a hotspot for the Note 10.1. What seems to work is to turn WiFi off for a couple minutes (has to be a couple minutes; a quick toggle doesn't work) and then turn WiFi back on - and bang, I'm connected again. I also can confirm that I did NOT see this issue at all prior to 4.1.2.

The non-work hotspots are all WEP and WPA2 with passphrase authentication; at work, auth is done back to AD. Additionally, I know the authenticator is running an expired cert AND that it only allows one device to authenticate at any given time for any set of credentials (so, for example, if I connect my phone, it will kick my tablet off the network).

I strongly suspect the issue is some combination of the access point, the access point's auth methodology, and Samsung's 4.1.2 WiFi implementation.

sonnyb

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Came across this thread with wifi connection problems with my Samsung Tab 2 10.1 - 4.1.2. It was continually cycling trying to connect until it reported poor signal. I went through all the reset procedures to no avail.

I also have two Samsung S1 phones flashed with Beanstalk ROM. The phones had no issues UNTIL I turned off WAP on my router. The signal reset and my Tab connected immediately. Success. Until I checked my phones... Neither had wireless service and now were cycling through exactly as my Tab had. I messed around but could not solve it.

Long story short, I downloaded Wifi Analyzer (free) on the Tab (which had a connection) and decided to try one of the suggested channel changes. I live in a building and there are wireless signals everywhere. Even though my signal was three times as strong as competing signals, I changed to a less populated channel. Yup, you guessed it. All devices leaped onto the wireless.

Hope anyone else has as good an outcome and I hope it sticks.

mongotz

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WiFi Authentication errors! !! BLUETOOTH OFF!

Same here. Shut off Bluetooth and all worked normally. Otherwise couldn't connect to multiple wifi sites that I normally connect to including, wifi, Mifi, phone as a hot spot, etc. Have a Samsung 10.1 tabletO:)

ScuzzyWuzzy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey, try this
i was reading about your thread and others because i had the same issue. all my other wireless devices, (xbox, laptop, gf cellphone) all were able to connect to the wifi other then my cellphone which recently had this random issue. i could however connect at my job to their wifi without issue. i have comcast as my service provider and this thread interested me cause you had a similar set up just different phone. so i looked into my router cause the issue is clearly not the phone. (how could it if i could get connection from work right?)
today while my gf was on her phone and everything else around the house was turned off. i went into my comcast router through the browser to see if i could mess with it as you have. and under the connected devices tab i noticed 3 connections; 2 cellphones, and the laptop. which should only be 2, my girlfriends cell and just the laptop (mine still had the authentication error). so unable to distinguish which cellphone was mine i disabled both through the router in which they both automatically reconnected which in turn allowed my cellphone to reconnect. my router is an arris wireless modem.
my first solution to my cellphone issue and i was able to hold connection for a day before authentication error. was statically configuring my cellphones ip address to something other then what it was dynamically getting. (basically 10.0.0.4 to 10.0.0.7) this temp fix helped but for a second time it did not. now my cellphone is back on dynamic and the router refreshed. it may have something to do with the router holding onto our ip info and if we get out of range the router continues to hold that info. and when we get back into range there is a conflict of 2 devices trying to connect under 1 ip. but thats just my guess. this fix happened 10/11/13 at 6:49pm if this happens again to me and im unable to fix it again i could be talking out of my ***. but this is something you could possibly try.good luck man

Seamus Keenan

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi
The only thing that worked for me was resetting the Wireless Mode setting to B/G from B/G/N on the router (via the browser - obviously on a device where your wifi is working)

Details on this - Key your router's IP address into the browser address bar and fill in username and password details (usually 'admin' for both) These items are usually printed somewhere on the back or bottom of your router.
From the summary box go to 'Wireless' and change the 'Wireless Mode' settings to something other than what you have - trial and error

I don't know why this suddenly became necessary.

Kerry Wessels

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I do not doubt other people have had success "fixing" with their little fixes- I have to say, absolutely do not work for me. (I obviously did try a lot of things before I tried posting here).

It is getting much much worse and the only thing that 'fixes' the problem is walking downstairs and unplugging the gateway for a minute and replugging in . What is extremely trippy is my father and I (I'm a halfassed adult that lives with my old man, we just have always been close like that I guess.) have the same problem. We bought our Note 10.1 32GB's brand new at BestBuy on Sat in early/mid April. Started fine but then that happened and its been happening but getting much worse. Past two weeks, happening every single night around "bed time". Now it's been happening day and night.

I just resorted to logging into the gateway admin area, changing the SSiD network name, changing the broadcast channel, and the DHCP lease renewal time ( was like 3 weeks I changed it to much less. Now I am not 101% sure this was the right move so feel free to chime in there.).

I am really hating this. When it's 1130 or 12 midnight, I'm tucked in bed, the house is dark and secure, and I'm laying in bed w/ my Note reading the web or watching a vid etc. and suddenly the net stops, and "Authentication Error' comes up, I do NOT WANT to get up , get ready, go downstairs, turn n all the lights, losing my night vision in the process etc, stumble to the router area, unplug the damned thing, let it go, reboot time takes a bit, come upstairs and reverse everything ,get back into bed, etc. etc. Its terrible.

I will report on how the changing of the settings affect everything. (And again- there is NO PROBLEMS with the rest of the house WiFi. 4 Smartphones, 3 laptops, a stray iPad, etc.).

Found this on another forum. Dont know why it works, but it fixed my authentication error issues..... at least for the past two hours :
1. Forget your network
2. Turn wifi off
3. Turn wifi back on
4. Go through scan and password process

Cannot give you even a little bit of a clue why, but it worked for me

hello my tab 10.1 wont connect to my wifi network and yet iv tried everything that you have suggested

Bill Clark

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
For those that still have problems....

First off, WIFI problems are complex due largely to the number of things sharing the same segment of the spectrum and the wide array of devices and standards involved. Be prepared to try several things. This is a sort of general troubleshooting/fixing guide.

Starting out, the likelihood that your phone is at fault is slim bit since you have it in your hand all the time, we'll start with it.

1. If you only ever experience WIFI issues at home, but use WIFI at other places, the problem is likely at home. I know it seems obvious, but part of what I'm saying here is that you should find friends with WIFI and try it with their setup.

2. Get WIFI analyzer and use it to view how many access points are in your area and what channels they are on. It is entirely possible that someone is walking over-top of your WIFI signal and causing you to drop out with errors. You also want to watch your network strength over time and see if it keeps dropping out or getting seriously low.

3. Assuming you have WIFI issues everywhere and there are no other contentious access points, follow these steps. You may also want to come back to this point later and try again in certain circumstances:

a. Using your phone or tablet, go into settings and networking
b. Press and hold on your network's name
c. Choose "forget network"
d. Restart phone
e. Reconnect to your network

I've had this issue in the past, something with the settings seems to cache or get corrupt over time (or after an update). If that doesn't work, you could try a full factory reset (make sure you've backed up your data just in case) or take your phone to a technician.

4. If you experience drops primarily at home, you may have a bad router or some conflicting settings. Or you just might be conflicting with something else that shares the same spectrum. If you are not familiar with your router's settings find someone to help.

a. Try restarting your router and modem.

b. Viewing WIFI analyzer and you see a bunch of other routers, you might want to change your channel to make sure you are not contending with someone else. You may not see them until certain times of the day, or you may not see them until you change your channel. You may want to change your channel anyway as some wireless phones and microwave ovens can conflict and changing the channel is one way to get around the issue.

c. If you are running WEP or WPA, try turning it off for a period of time. Running in mixed mode or N mode if you are using an old router could cause problems as well so you might be better off setting things back to factory--which would take care of a number of potential issues, but mixed mode might be the default so you might want to play switching to N only or G only. Also, if you are using burst mode, turn it off .

I'm not telling you to not run with these things, but to turn them off and see if the problem stops. You certainly want to turn security back on, but if it is causing the problem you may be in need of a firmware update or a new router. The odds of security causing the problem seems very low, but we need to rule things out until we have an answer.

d. When is the last time you updated your router's firmware? If you don't know, try to update it. If your router's manufacturer doesn't list an update for more than a year then its time for a new router.

5. If you have wireless land-line phones that aren't DECT certified, try unplugging them.

Last edited:

Jason Green3

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. it turns out that it was a ip address conflict. I had to set a static ip address on the tablet and it fixed the problem
How to assign the Galaxy Note 10.1 a static IP address?
To set up the Static IP on the Galaxy Note 10.1, please make note of the following:
The Device IP address
Your AP/router Access Point default gateway
Your AP/router network prefix length (see tghe info below if you do not know this)
Your AP/router prefered DNS
Your AP/router alternate DNS
Important: The easiest way to retrieve this information is from a PC already connected to the AP/router. Click to Start menu, type CM and press enter. Then, type 'ipconfig /all" then press enter to see the IP address, gateway, and DNS settings.

To assign the Note 10.1 with the static IP address, follow these steps:
1. Tap the Home key and then tap Apps found in the upper right corner of the Note 10.1
2. Go to Settings->Wireless and Networks->Wifi Settings
3. Tap on an available network. If you had already configured the network, tap Forget, then tap the network again to set it up.
4. When the add Wifi network dialog appears, enter the network password, then scroll down. Tap IP settings and choose Static IP.
5. Tap one by one on each field of IP address and Gateway then input the correct settings acquired from the PC.
6. Tap Network Prefix Length and enter the appropriate info in CIDR notation. The following are the IP ranges most people will encunter using wireless routers:
If your IP address starts with 192.168, enter 24
If your IP address starts with 10.0, enter 8
If your IP address starts with 172.16, enter 12

7. Tap DNS1 and DNS 2 and enter the preferred/alternate DNS you want to use on the device. Tap OK to complete.
8. Tap Save.

scherrygirl

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
hello my tab 10.1 wont connect to my wifi network and yet iv tried everything that you have suggested

May sound crazy, but after following every option on here I went back to the basic phone connection in the wall. Apparently it got "pulled" just a tad from the jack. Pushed it in, rebooted router, set time/date and crossing fingers and toes! So far so good! ( I am currently knocking on a lot of wood! )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays