wifi does not work in low 3G signal area?

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
My D2G does not appear to be using the wifi connection for data programs by default.

I will be connected to my wifi at home and when my 3G signal drops low (I have a weak signal at my home), my data programs do not work or very slow as if on a very slow connection.

I turn off the phone network and the data programs fly and work flawlessly. The phone is clearly not using my wifi connection if the VZW network connection is active.

Kind of silly to even have wifi if you have to turn the phone signal off in order to take advantage of the speed of wifi.

Is anyone else seeing this with their phone?

Last edited:

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any WiFi or power "managers" running? Some 3rd party apps make stupid decisions like "if you're connected to 3G I should disable WiFi to save power" which causes bad things to happen when you're connected to 3G and then go someplace with a valid WiFi signal.

The default behavior of the OS is to disable mobile data if you're connected to WiFi, if that's not working then chances are a third party app is taking control (removing it may help), a setting got changed (a factory reset can save trying to figure out which one), or there's something funky about your WiFi setup (for example, there are multiple access points with the same network setup or the channel you're using is very busy).

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have done 2 factory resets for some text messaging bug where after about 2 weeks of using Go SMS, test stopped sending and only way to get it to start sending again was a factory reset. This has been happening before and after the 2 separate resets.

I have no 3rd party power management software either.

I do, however, have a wireless access point (I have Dlink N router and a Dlink wireless access point for my Direct TV box) ... I may have to check the setup there to see if that is causing any issues ... anything in particular I should look for?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I've seen some reports of N having issues with the X (another Motorola Froyo phone - wouldn't surprise me if the D2G had related issues), you can try dropping down the G and see if that helps. I use a Cisco/Linksys 610N with a comparable access point on the far side of my house without any issue, but perhaps D-Link is a bit different.

You can also try segregating your access point and router, I have my router and access point set up identically (except for selecting different channels) but I know that while this can let me seamlessly move between the two it can also cause confusion for some WiFi devices. If both your router and access point have the same SSID (network name) you can experiment with changing one so you know exactly what settings are affecting your Droid. This can also help if you're willing to sacrifice some things for your DTV box that you don't want to sacrifice for your computer (or vice versa).

Other things to play with include security settings. The 2.1 release of the Droid X didn't like hidden SSIDs (the Froyo release doesn't mind). I've also seen issues with WEP that have cleared by upgrading to WPA2 (an infinitely better security scheme anyway).

However, most of the WiFi issues I've seen don't match your symptoms. Generally the users can't connect to WiFi at all, but perhaps what helped them will also help you. Good luck!

jtg11

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks ... I have them set up identically with same SSID etc.

I will play around with this and see what I can figure out.

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hillagesa