will people really shell out almost $1,000 for a Pixel XL with 128gb? ($947 after tax)

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
While this phone seems to have a very small bump up in specs, im afraid I can't justify the price especially when the galaxy S8, with specs that will put the Pixel to shame, is only about 6 months away. . So these are great phones, for now, but way overpriced.

The upcoming Galaxy S8 will no doubt blow the Google Pixel out of water with better camera and other new tricks.

Is it worth the 5 to 6 months wait? Heck... YES!

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
will people really shell out almost $1,000 for a Pixel XL with 128gb? ($947 after tax)

that sounds a little insane to me...

People pay more than that for iPhones it's higher storage. So yes they will.

The note 7 is $850 plus tax. People pay it.

imartez

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The hardware of the Pixel is not impressive, it's the software for me. The google assistant will be available in a few months or less and I can wait for that. Plus it's not water resistant, I think this phone is about $100 - $150 too high.

Hagbard57

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: will people really shell out $869 for a Pixel XL with 128gb?

Purchased the 32gb one. If there was a 64gb option I would probably get it but I know I won't use 128gb and that price is too high for a phone I'll probably replace in a year.

You are right but I don't know if I can deal with a 32 GB phone with no SD Card slot. If I get this phone it is going to have to be 128 or bust.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I would pay $1,000 if I liked the phone. Price isn't even the issue for me, after all the hype the phone is just ... Disappointing.

I still don't understand why anyone is excited for the phone to be honest, but to each their own. I had to return a Note 7 due to the recall, and I decided to wait for the Pixel XL to see if I would get another Note or not.

Google assistant is going to make its way to Android eventually; it will even make its way to the Google search engine, this is just common sense as the feature itself isn't enough to sell Pixel phones but would make people use Google a lot more frequently. So their prized feature, while impressive, doesn't strike me as something that will remain a Pixel exclusive. So what exactly is there about the phone that should make me want it?

It's like they started the concept of this phone in 2013 and didn't account for what the landscape would look like in 2016.

HollowGrapeJ98

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site

Resale value of android phones are never that great. Usually best is Samsung and then cheaper phones but everyone else usually drops. iPhones hold their value. Historically google phones haven't which I don't think a name change will change. But yes it's an assumption.

Sony has high resale value as well and the HTC 10 is maintaining its price pretty well.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

Sony has high resale value as well and the HTC 10 is maintaining its price pretty well.

They do indeed. But in general android phones don't hold as well. Nexus phones sure never had. I would rather assume it will have bad resale then hope and get my hopes up. I'm waiting for a sale either way in the coming months.

anon(573376)

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally I am going to hang on to my 6P for another year or so. I wanna see how this all washes out after a year. Are we going to see the same issues as with Nexus devices where there are software/hardware issues and we a just beta testers in the end? If they were a bit closer in price to the Nexus devices of the past I would take the plunge but for almost 1k, I am going to at least see how the reviews pan out for that kind of dough.

dontpanicbobby

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
If I could affords it I'd go with the Pixel XL 128GB. Why they didn't include a MicroSD slot eludes me but at least they kept in the headphone jack. :cool:

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site

The only phone that holds a nice resale value is the iPhone (period).
Everything else will normally go for less than 50% the price of new in 6-9 months. I phone is more like 60-70% resale value. I buy and sell a lot of used phones, so I'm pretty good at this game. If I had to guess I'd say this phone will be well under $500 in 6 months...7 max.

Are you buying a product just to resell it or to actually enjoy it?

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Some people will.

I just realized something... Is Google even trying to win
over iPhone users with the Pixel phones in significant
numbers? Yes, "some" iPhone users will no doubt buy
the Pixel... the question is how many? :D

Or is the Pixel primarily meant fo people who are already
Android users?(whether they current use low-end or
flagship Android phones)

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
While this phone seems to have a very small bump up in specs, im afraid I can't justify the price especially when the galaxy S8, with specs that will put the Pixel to shame, is only about 6 months away. . So these are great phones, for now, but way overpriced.
How can you justify buying a Galaxy S8 when something with better specs will come along only 6 months after it is released?

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm just bummed they won't offer this direct from other carriers. Having wifi calling and HD voice on my S7 is something I wouldn't want to give up.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm just bummed they won't offer this direct from other carriers. Having wifi calling and HD voice on my S7 is something I wouldn't want to give up.

It will have wifi calling for Tmobile, verizon and project fi out of the box. the other carriers are an unknown at this point.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I can't justify spending that amount on any phone, that's a month's mortgage and putting food on my kids plates for a couple of weeks.

Even if I had that much disposable income, I wasn't overly impressed, mainly because I think it's quite ugly.
Same here. My wife would beat the 💩 out of me if I bought a phone for almost $1,000. Not worth it. I love all the bells and whistles, but when I think about it all I need a phone for is calling, texting, and web browsing. I don't have to shell out that much cash to get a phone that can do those things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86