Wont connect to or find external flash drives (US, non carrier branded/unlocked)

anon(557159)

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I have two flash drives, one is usb micro SD card reader with 32gb card and other is a sandisk double sided, USB and micro usb 32gb. I've tried formatting several times in exfat, NTSF, and fat32. It will not find it.
Also, I have a USB-C OTG to micro USB, and the factory USB-c to USB that came with the phone.
When inserted into either adapter and either usb memory stick it says USB charging connected device. I can select Connect a MIDI, Transfer images, or transfer files in the drop down but it only says disconnected, USB connector connected, charging connected device. It will not connect any other way other than charging. Ive also gone into settings and tried usb debugging on and off. I've also tried settings USB configuration and set to MTP and PTP and it will not make a differene.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions? I need it to transfer files all the time, large files and wireless or pulling SD card is not viable option.

I'm a long term android user and familair with how to use the phone. My past notes and S series phones all worked. I "THINK" i've done this before on my Note 8 and it worked, but not positive.
I've used package disabler and am about to reenable everything, even bloat to see if it fixes it.
---update, everthing is reenabled in package disabler, no change. Only thing is to charge, no file transfer ability.

The Note 8 will connect to my computer and both drives show up.

Last edited: