Zack from JerryRig explains why the Note7 battery may explode.

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Another (possible) Note 7 burnt up in Massachusetts

Considering modern ambulance services don't use defibs that allow that, I'd pay to see it. I sell them. You can't "go to town" with a defibrillator. It won't discharge unless it reads specific cardiac rhythms.

That said, the phone also clearly isn't a Note 7 either.

Didn't think about that, maybe they had an old one lying around or something? The picture of the back definitely looks like something was held to it, about in the shape of a paddle on a defib unit like you see in hospitals on TV. Obviously could be many other things too, or maybe it really did explode, but yes, clearly not a Note 7.

7AndTRT

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site

Didn't think about that, maybe they had an old one lying around or something? The picture of the back definitely looks like something was held to it, about in the shape of a paddle on a defib unit like you see in hospitals on TV. Obviously could be many other things too, or maybe it really did explode, but yes, clearly not a Note 7.

I suppose anything is possible but I can't believe any EMT would risk their job and the health and safety of others to blow up a phone...

Jean Sagarese

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

No Samsung did the right thing and RECALLED every phone not just where the original ones had issues if they had ignored the US and a phone had a issue and nobody did squat then they would look stupid as would we but they handled it well. Some of the carriers could have paid more attention and been more polite to worried customers. Personally I cannot wait to get my new Note and now even considering a Defender Case from OtterBox instead of the clear Symmetry Case from them.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I just emailed Channel 4 in Boston and gave them some crap about not getting their facts straight before running a story, then told them what the phone was and about the $5.00 Gas Station charging chord. Let's see if I get a reply OR if they run a new story! I'm from MA - about 30 miles southwest of Boston so maybe they'll listen?

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I gotta say, the more I look at the pictures of the phone that was burned, the more I wonder if this is some kind of hoax and someone is trying to cash in on the whole Note 7 thing. ...

The back tells us a lot more, however. ...The burn on the back looks oddly specific, with clearly defined edges (which again conveniently cover up some obvious ID marks), and the rest of the back of the phone looks in fine shape, not like a phone that "exploded". It's also strange how the internals that are visible, which I can't be certain what they are, but it looks to be a portion of an antenna and some other metallic parts, don't really look all the damaged, they are still pretty shiny and stuff, not at all like they were part of an "explosion" of the battery pack.

I think this is a hoax perpetrated by someone who wants to be on TV.

It looks more like the phone was burned from the outside. The picture is not consistent with the structural response you'd expect from a battery explosion. It is difficult to characterize the impact, but I'd expect more distortion or rupturing of the internal parts than what you see in that photo. They look pretty intact, more like as if they were burned from the outside. Given this AND the fact that owner obviously lied about the model of the phone, I think this is a hoax.

Clearly people should exchange their Note7s as quickly as possible, but also should not let made-up stories like this get them all stressed out.

Paul Paradis

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Odd that they have not given any details about any of the incidents. What we're they using to charge the devices? No brands. No nothing.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

With all the bad publicity that Samsung has been hit with in regards to the Note 7 battery exploding, I truly hope people aren't taking advantage and getting their 15mins of fame. Whether that S6 Active did legitimately burnt up on its own, you should know if you just bought a brand new phone! This is very careless of the news station to report that a Note 7 burned in flames when in fact it wasn't.

I was wondering the same thing! Remember when ppl were bending their iPhone's on purpose? I hope ppl aren't stupid enough to set their phones on fire to get attention or free stuff or lawsuits.

Paul Paradis

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Some people just don't have any common sense. Probably the same people last year that we're intentionally shoving the S Pen in backwards.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thirty minutes of News - no mention of the mistake! I guess I shouldn't have expected any less? Of course it's Sunday night of a Holiday weekend - should I give them the benefit of the doubt and wait until Tuesday? We'll see - I ended up sending two emails to the News Director - I should, if nothing else, get a response to one of them, wouldn't you think? I'll update as I hear! Good Night everyone!

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Note 7 drops Samsung SDI batteries after fires

This is good to know. No guessing games over what Samsung did to "fix" the new phones.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

Is there a way to find out if this battery is in your phone? More than likely it will be, given that 70% of all the 2.5 million N7s have them..... Scary!!!!!

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

It does seem if one can identify via serial number (or some other way) that they do NOT have this battery, they wouldn't need to take part in the recall.

To be clear I am NOT discouraging full participation in the recall especially given what we DON'T know at this point. Kind of more a "hmm I wonder" .

hailsusy90

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Is there a way to find out if this battery is in your phone? More than likely it will be, given that 70% of all the 2.5 million N7s have them..... Scary!!!!!
I don't think so. In the Phone Info app the only thing you can see is where the phone was made.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

That's why they are recalling all of them... They're obviously pulling all stock back and then only shipping out the remaining stock of batteries they know to be working based on previous note releases to cover those that had bought the note 7 first.

Once everyone is replaced - they will start selling back to general public.

I've seen reports on the numbers all over the place though. In some instances I've seen 2.5M sold (to the carriers/vendors) but only around 400k actually sold thru to the public.

I'm fairly certain that's correct because it appeared all the carriers and vendors started pulling their stock and stopped selling Wed night / Thursday morning.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
It's now obvious why Samsung was so quick to issue a recall. The liability of faulty batteries can't be pushed off onto another supplier, since Samsung made the faulty batteries. All blame rests on Samsung.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Want to know if your battery is considered a "bad batch"?

This article explains where the bad batches are coming from and which devices may be affected. I presume in the U.S it's mostly all of us. Mine was manufactured in Korea. Phone doesn't show any sign of faulty battery, but with all these new cases I may just go back to my s6 edge+ until the warranties are sorted out. Getting a little scary

Exploding kittens: how to tell if you have a Samsung SDI, or a 'safe' ATL battery in your Note 7

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe