Zack from JerryRig explains why the Note7 battery may explode.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
From the video "or go to sleep with a fire extinguisher"... lol! I'm trying an app that will alert me when my battery temp gets too high... just to be on the safe side. Trying this one out for now...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...dumbsmartapps.batterytempalarm&token=4RC6Ndzl

Well... that's all well and good, but we don't know enough of the technical details about the fault to know if this is even a means to monitor the phone to avoid the problem. Maybe keeping the phone temp in check while charging mitigates the issue, might be a waste of time. When Lithium batteries go, they can go extremely fast.... they go from warm to blast furnace in a matter of seconds. It could very well be that the alarm, if it even has a time to fire before the phone turns off, only gives you enough time to get the phone into an area where the flames do not do damage.... by the time you hear the alarm fire, it could very well be too late.

I mean, I'm not going to risk it. There's something wrong with those batteries... something REALLY wrong. The only way to avoid it is to not use the phone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
How about putting your phone in a large glass or pitcher on the nightstand when you go to sleep. (no liquids in it of course, being serious).
If the phone exploded the glass container should... contain it?

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Do you guys think that with all the Battery Headaches, Samsung will go back to the removable battery?
How? The reason they got rid of itnis because they moved away from plastic. Which helped, looking at the sales of the s6 and how well received it was, unlike the s5 which was largely criticised for it.

You can't have removable battery with glass, and even if you did, it would lose ip68. They can't even switch to metal without losing wireless charging, and even if they did, they may not be able to implement removable battery without a poorly built device like the lg g5, and again without ip68.

They can't just magically make the battery removable. And also, removable batteries take more space than non-removable because of the extra casing, which means having a smaller battery even if they did.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
How about putting your phone in a large glass or pitcher on the nightstand when you go to sleep. (no liquids in it of course, being serious).
If the phone exploded the glass container should... contain it?

Lithium batteries can create a fire that burns at a temperature above 900 degrees Fahrenheit. Most glass melts at temps over 1200 degrees F - so, it may work.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I just keep "Topping Off" when I get down around 85% AND on my Samsung Wireless Stand on the Kitchen Counter where I can see it. I don't leave it alone AND it has yet to even get warm because of the short charge times it takes to get from 85% to 100%. Hopefully, the new ones will get here quickly, please Samsung?

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
We can argue about this until we're blue in the fave. Bottom line is Samsung has a lot to lose by not acting quickly. It's their flagship phone, their primary competitor is about to release a new model, and this is an issue that carries the potential of significant financial liabilities if the battery explosions were to lead to major bodily or property damage. By acting quickly, Samsung puts all current customers on notice that the device is defective. And continued use of it could potentially shift liability on to the customer if injury results. Nothing at all to do with corporate character. Any company in a similar situation would do the exact same thing unless they're idiots.

The presumption that all corporate cultures are the same is simplistic at best, and both naïve and uniformed at worse.

Organizational cultures vary by corporation, by executive leadership, by country, by political system, by socio-economic cultural factors, by industry, by economic circumstances…………..the list goes on and on.

Samsung is to be commended for their actions. Their corporate response and the culture it represents will be a model case study in both business academia and board rooms for years to come.

This article in Yonhap News recently may help illuminate why Samsung’s culture is so ably reflected in the steps taken in this recall.

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Great video ! I did not know that the battery itself was so simple, with so little lithium. For some reason, I expected multiple layers, not just 2 paper thin electrodes and a thick layer of electrolyte. Being from manufacturing, I can understand how easily contamination can happen on a single shift, or by a single person out of hundreds of workers. Then, the question is what QC is done to detect the problem. (i.e. How many batteries, per shift, per worker, per day, per "batch of electolyte", etc are actually tested or inspected before shipping.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia