Samsung Droid Charge is not reading my SIM card!?

AnjanVS94

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
In August 2011, I accidentally had my Samsung Droid Charge in my pocket as I went into a swimming pool. I quickly realized and took it out to lay on the bench. When it dried, I opened it up, dried everything, and replaced the battery. It then started working perfectly, and I stopped worrying about it.

Fast forward to early this month, around November 6th. My Samsung Droid Charge has been working perfectly for more than two months after the incident, and suddenly loses service. I try turning it off, taking out the SIM card and putting it back in, restarting it, etc. Nothing worked.

The next day, my dad calls Verizon. They tell him to soft reset the phone, and they were like, "Nothing will happen, everything will be backed up on your Gmail account." My dad went through with it, and it made matters worse. Now, the phone won't even let me go past the startup menu, because it won't read the sim card. Except for the simcard reader, the phone is completely functional, and I can't even use it anymore.

First, I took it to Verizon, and they replaced the simcard and it still wouldn't work. I stupidly had the battery with the water damage in it, which they then saw and refused to give me any help.

I then sent it to this repair service (RepairLaunch) for $45, and they said they never saw something like this before. They tried to fix it, but they couldn't.

Is there anything I can do? Could I upgrade my insurance policy now for them to replace it? Is there anyone who can repair it? Is there any way I can mod it so I can bypass the start menu and at least use it as a multimedia device and camera?

chrstdvd

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by Start Menu? Maybe a new battery would wake something up. What happens if you take the sim card out and try to turn it on?

Is the soft reset you refer to a Factory reset? I just read a cool post about how to do that this morning on another forum. I copied it into a work document but do not want to post it here until I go back and get credit for the person who originally posted it.

Come back if you still have the problem and we can do some things.

Jessica.Kent

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I used to work for Verizon as a Tech and I can tell you that basically with water damage, you are screwed. The manufacturer warranty doesn't cover it and unless you have the extra insurance that covers that you'll be looking at a new phone. Also, they will not let you add insurance after you have already damaged the phone, and even on the slim chance that they did it wouldn't cover the water damage because it happened before you had the insurance on the phone.

And P.S., it doesn't matter if you had put a different battery into the phone. There is a water damage indicator on the phone AND the battery. And speaking from expierence there's nothing that used to piss me off more than someone lying to me about water damage. There are a TON of ways to tell if it's water damaged so you really can't do anything to make it not look like it. Sorry.

deadlifter

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having an issue with my sim card on my droid charge as well I took it out last night and put
it back like it showed in the book and it still said unreadable I don't understand why also before that I some how turned off the mobile data thing to send text message how can I fix both these issues?[/I]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress