OTA Gingerbread!

slayerfaith1982

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Found a hidden benefit of the update.

Before if you tried to add an Exchange ActiveSync account (using HTC accounts in settings) with a Hotmail account it wouldn't work.

Now it does. So I have full push exchange support w/ my Hotmail. Much appreciated so now I don't have to read/mark read or delete everything twice.

forrestmage

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
mine says "loading PB31DIAG.zip no image when I try to update. I tried renaming update.zip to the PB31DIAG.zip and got the same error. not rooted, sd card is fat32, zip folder is in root of sd, md5 checks out...

dillbert613

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I got an update this morning. I agreed to update and it went thru the motions. Afterwards, it became stuck on the white screen showing HTC incredible. It would not go past it. I tried doing a factory restore, recovery, all to come back to the white screen. I even followed the instructions above to flash the rom with zip file for Gingerbread, and it leaves it back at the white screen. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Burkee75

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So I followed your instructions and updated to GB successfully, I am just wondering if there is any way now that I can go back to Froyo and root?

iowabowtech

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it could be loaded from within recovery as update.zip too?

Goto hboot, volume keys to highlight recovery then power button to select, hold volume up while pressing power button should bring up recovery options. Loading an update.zip should be one of them. Don't think the fat32 formatting is necessary if using recovery but not 100% sure. Been a long time since I've seen the stock recovery so I'm going off memory.

iowabowtech

May 6, 2010
Visit site
mine says "loading PB31DIAG.zip no image when I try to update. I tried renaming update.zip to the PB31DIAG.zip and got the same error. not rooted, sd card is fat32, zip folder is in root of sd, md5 checks out...

PB31IMG is the recognition filename for the Inc hboot. Not sure if there's some nuances that disallow that filename in this case or if it'll work. I know that's what we rename the stock rom.zip for auto-recognition in hboot. I'm thinking that's all this is but not certain.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
If someone could help me! I have a rooted d inc and I tried updating it to the new ota update the one posted for download on this site. It will not work. it keeps giving me an error and won/t flash update. :(

If you are rooted do NOT use the link in this thread.

Use the rooted OTA located here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...redible-sept-2011-rooted-gingerbread-ota.html

BTW they fixed the Buildprop on this so the screen size is OK and Verizon shows in the market in the rooted version.

DustoMan

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
So I flashed this rom over my stock 2.2 android backup last night and I can't seem to have as many apps installed as I do with CM7. Everything was going great last night till I did a couple updates and then the "Low Disk Space" notification started coming up and then the phone started rebooting itself every few minutes. I ran the same amount of apps just fine on CM7. What is the deal here? I restored back to my CM7 rom and everything is peachy. I kinda wanted to run the stock rom cause I thought the Bluetooth worked better with my TuneLink for Android. But this Gingerbreak update just would not work right with it. sigh. So now I'm back to CM7 and I can't listen to my podcasts in my car still!

kevin92178

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
i got an error and it wouldnt load the zip file. if the phone is currently rooted must i unroot the phone before installing this update?

Bucsfan76

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get a chance to download update yesterday when I received it. Woke up this morning to update and the update was gone. Check system updates and it is not there and phone is still 2.2. Can they pull back the update if you didn't update and they are fixing bugs???

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
i got an error and it wouldnt load the zip file. if the phone is currently rooted must i unroot the phone before installing this update?

If you are rooted do NOT use the link in this thread.

Use the rooted OTA located here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/in...redible-sept-2011-rooted-gingerbread-ota.html

BTW they fixed the Buildprop on this so the screen size is OK and Verizon shows in the market in the rooted version.

rchez16

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Question for a newbie.

So I downloaded the OTA; checked the MD5, which matched. Then copied it to the root of my SD card.
I checked the MD5 again, but it comes up blank. Should I be able to see MD5 when on sd card? If I can't should I start over?

UPDATE:
Download worked. Seems to be running fine.

Last edited:

TimeHunter

May 2, 2010
Visit site
So I verified I have the correct file by comparing the MD5. They match.

I verified that my SD card is FAT32.

I verified that the file is named update.zip and is in the root of the sd card

The first time I ran the update I got these errors after it ran for several seconds:
" Failed to verify whole-file signature "
" Signature verification failed"

Since then, if I reboot into hboot, I get a message something like 'no image or wrong image'.

If I go to Recovery and attempt to apply the update.zip that way I get the following:
assert failed: check_cid(getprop("ro.cid"). "00000000", "11111111", "22222222", "33333333", "44444444", "55555555", "66666666", "77777777", "88888888", "99999999", "VZW__001") == "t"
E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

So this morning I wake up with a message that the OTA is available and asking me if I want to install it. I choose OK and it starts a countdown to reboot starting at 5 or 10 seconds. When it reaches 0, it just stops and nothing happens. If I go into Settings and check for updates it tells me my system is up to date.

I've seen people repeating that you should just reformat your SD card but I don't want to do that unless its really necessary. From what I read in the initial posts, the whole point of reformatting the SD is just to get the file system formatted as FAT32 and mine already is so it seems there's no need to do that. If there is a need beyond simply getting it to FAT32, can someone chime in?

Also, when I try to boot into HBOOT, sometimes instead of doing so it will just vibrate 5 times and the screen remains black. I have to pull the battery to be able to do anything at that point. Anyone have any input as to what this is about?
I've found that some 32GB micro sd cards don't get along with this. You might want to try using a smaller card if you have a spare, or removing the card altogether and just putting the update.zip file in the root of the phone storage.

I have had that issue with my 32GB micro sd card, so I just swap it with a spare card I have that I know works for these types of processes.

If you don't have a 32GB card, as mentioned in another post, which I have also experienced, sometimes copying the file direct to the SD card can cause something like this, so copy it to the phone, then use the phone to copy it to the sd card.

I have not run this gingerbread update though, because I am quite happy with Skyraider 4.3.

forrestmage

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried loading it as a recovery option and it told me "signature verification failed". I called Verizon to see if they could push the OTA to me and they said they can't, HTC controls it and HTC won't honor requests for prioritization. Verizon also told me that they have seen a lot of people trying to manually update their Dinc and it doesn't work.