Am I Asking for Too Much?

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
First of all, I love the Incredible. I think it's the perfect size and I love how fast it is and I really like the Sense UI. However, I have not been able to find an Inc without issues.

1st one - Slightly pink screen, grounding issue, crooked screen under glass
2nd one - Very pink screen, even at max brightness
3rd one - Very pink screen, even at max brightness

Let me say, I could probably live with this if it weren't for the fact that I've seen Incredibles with very white screens and no grounding issues (and definitely not crooked screens). Part of me wonders if some of the screen issues are due to the screen shortages that caused the backorder. Maybe Samsung rushed out a large batch of bad screens. I don't know, just looking for answers...

Like others, I'm really not interested in any of the other phones (Droid X or Droid 2). Maybe I'm just too picky and should just live with the issues. I guess I just wanted to vent. I might be picky, but I have thick skin, so If you think I'm being unreasonable, feel free to say so. This is the best phone out there, I just want one that is what I consider to be defect free.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you're being picky. You're paying good money. All you want is a phone with no defects. Mine has the grounding issue but it doesn't bug me. Sometimes I think I have a pink screen but I don't know anyone else with an incredible I can use to compare. Good luck. I hope you get one without defects.

Charmed Juan

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
A capacitive screen needs to be grounded. That's the nature of the beast.
It's something you just have to get use to. You said that others don't have it. Something must ground it or it won't work. My phone will sometimes not react when I push the screen if I am not holding it. It's rare but it happens. All I need to do is touch the side with another finger.

As to the pink screen, I have not noticed this, but it's a subjective thing. I may have a pink screen.
One thing I can tell you. If you get one, every time you turn it on, you will notice the pink. It will bother you.

Synbios

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The crooked screen is definitely a defect but almost all Incredibles have at least a slight pink screen; and the grounding issue is a universal problem, it just only happens sometimes which is why a lot of people may not notice it.

IMO the pink screen is really annoying but the grounding issue for me has never been too bad.

Jason Graun

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something about the term "grounded". I have a DINC that I pre-ordered so I have had it awhile. I have never seen a pink screen and when I put it on a table or desk I can use one finger with out holding it and I still dont get a pink screen. So I dont think you are asking to much.

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your input Jason.

For those who don't know what I mean by pink screen, turn your phone off then back on again. When the HTC screens come up during start up, take note of whether the screens are bright white or pink looking. They should be bright white. All the replacements I get are pinkish. This causes blacks and dark grays on the screen to look kind of purple. Then pull up Google on your browser. The page should be white. On my "replacement" phone, the page looks pink. If you have had a phone that had bright whites, you would notice the difference with a phone that has the pinkish whites.

I took both phones into Verizon today and the manager looked at them. He tried to tell me that the "replacement" phone had an LCD screen, but I told him that they were both AMOLED and he checked the hardware revision and they were the same for both phones. He said that he didn't think that the pinkish screen should be considered a defect, but he did say that he could plainly see a difference in the colors of the screens on both phones. Since I ordered my phone online, he suggested I send the replacement back. The problem is, this is the 3rd replacement and the second with the pink screen.

Again, I really like this phone. I played around with the X in the store, and while it's a great phone in its own right, I just didn't like the size or the responsiveness of the UI. The Incredible is where it's at for me, I just want a phone with a normal screen. And as Jason illustrates, there are phones out there with good screens.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My screen is definitely not pink. Holding it side by side to my computer screen they appear identical.

Go for #4 & get it right. my $.02

kevinb120

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Mine's been perfect, But the colors are definitely tuned a touch 'warm', particularly on auto-brighness, but on bootup screens and white on the flashlight app, you can see it goes perfect white, almost a hit bluish-and I think I just blinded myself looking at that screen too long :p. I have noticed setting down next to moto-droids, the whites are definitely softened, akin to a 'game' setting on a monitor/tv, but the other colors are more vibrant, and black menu screens are so dark you can't see the edges of the screen meeting the phone in dim lighting, where the original droid's 'white' is more stark but almost sickly florecent-green type hue, blacks look like a cheap monitor with severe light bleeding and cartoon colored icons look badly washed.

I think it's just tweaked for a more vibrant look by the mfg to have a candy-color look to it without being harsh. A lot of the window borders and various lines and text are not actually pure white to start with(virtually nothing in sense is white), they are a touch newsprint gray in color. The flashlight app has the insane bright true white represented, which the amoled can reproduce. If that app or a truly white widget like facebook looks pink when cranked all the way up, then definitely something is wrong.

And I use one finger tip to manipulate the phone on the desk all the time with no issues??

ETA: I rebooted just to see, twice. Once with brightness cranked and once on auto, and the two HTC bootup screens are not a pure white. I guess you could call it a touch pink as after the UI initiated, the fonts in max brightness almost look green/blue white after staring at the boot screens until my eyes adjust to it. I would definitely not use the boot screen as something being indicative of 'white'.

Last edited:

bunjy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine's been perfect, But the colors are definitely tuned a touch 'warm', particularly on auto-brighness, but on bootup screens and white on the flashlight app, you can see it goes perfect white, almost a hit bluish-and I think I just blinded myself looking at that screen too long :p. I have noticed setting down next to moto-droids, the whites are definitely softened, akin to a 'game' setting on a monitor/tv, but the other colors are more vibrant, and black menu screens are so dark you can't see the edges of the screen meeting the phone in dim lighting, where the original droid's 'white' is more stark but almost sickly florecent-green type hue, blacks look like a cheap monitor with severe light bleeding and cartoon colored icons look badly washed.

I think it's just tweaked for a more vibrant look by the mfg to have a candy-color look to it without being harsh. A lot of the window borders and various lines and text are not actually pure white to start with(virtually nothing in sense is white), they are a touch newsprint gray in color. The flashlight app has the insane bright true white represented, which the amoled can reproduce. If that app or a truly white widget like facebook looks pink when cranked all the way up, then definitely something is wrong.

And I use one finger tip to manipulate the phone on the desk all the time with no issues??

ETA: I rebooted just to see, twice. Once with brightness cranked and once on auto, and the two HTC bootup screens are not a pure white. I guess you could call it a touch pink as after the UI initiated, the fonts in max brightness almost look green/blue white after staring at the boot screens until my eyes adjust to it. I would definitely not use the boot screen as something being indicative of 'white'.

I understand what you mean by not using the startup screen as a benchmark; however, I notice a pinker hue in the replacement phone when started up side-by-side next to my original phone. You can also notice it on a site such as Google in the browser, when the page should be bright white.

Also, you mentioned a flashlight app in your post. Is this with Froyo? I'm still running 2.1 and I don't have a flashlight app that I'm aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress