Moving contacts from phone to google

sabbotage

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I came from a blackberry and I used backup assistant to backup my contacts on my blackberry and re-sync them to my incredible. They are all phone contacts and I would like to make them all google contacts and I know how to export to the SD card and reimport as google contacts.

Can someone who has done this tell me if I do this will I have doubles of each contact after importing the list as google contacts? As in 1 seperate phone contact and 1 seperate google contact for each person? I really dont want doubles of each person in my list and I want this to be as clean as possible. TIA for any advice on this :)

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I came from a blackberry and I used backup assistant to backup my contacts on my blackberry and re-sync them to my incredible. They are all phone contacts and I would like to make them all google contacts and I know how to export to the SD card and reimport as google contacts.

Can someone who has done this tell me if I do this will I have doubles of each contact after importing the list as google contacts? As in 1 seperate phone contact and 1 seperate google contact for each person? I really dont want doubles of each person in my list and I want this to be as clean as possible. TIA for any advice on this :)

You shouldn't as long as you don't already have them in Google contacts as a separate contact. It should sync them in as one contact. I have had a few odd instances where it split contacts, but that is easily fixed by merging the two -- but for the most part it should only input them once.

thecatwasnot

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I used Google Sync to get my contacts moved from my Blackberry to my Incredible.

Why are you using both Backup Assistant AND trying to import with the SD card? If you have a gmail account linked to your phone, the contacts should sync from your phone to google automatically. If they're not, just check the gmail account settings, and make sure contacts is set to sync. Then check on gmail from your computer to see the updated contacts.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I used Google Sync to get my contacts moved from my Blackberry to my Incredible.

Why are you using both Backup Assistant AND trying to import with the SD card? If you have a gmail account linked to your phone, the contacts should sync from your phone to google automatically. If they're not, just check the gmail account settings, and make sure contacts is set to sync. Then check on gmail from your computer to see the updated contacts.

I believe they're using Backup Assistant solely when they got the contacts transfered from the BlackBerry to the Incredible. A lot of people go down this route when making the switch, particularly from BlackBerry.

sabbotage

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I believe they're using Backup Assistant solely when they got the contacts transfered from the BlackBerry to the Incredible. A lot of people go down this route when making the switch, particularly from BlackBerry.

Correct that is what I did. I used to just back up my contacts with Blackberry desktop manager. I only downloaded backup assistant to get them moved over to my incredible. I made a fresh gmail account to use with my incredible so I dont have any contacts on there at the moment. I just wanted to sync them with google and make it as seamless as possible without messed up data and duplicates. But since the above poster said they should link up ill try it out. Thanks for the replies!

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Assuming you have your Google Contact Sync turned on, you probably have a phone copy and a Google copy of each contact. You just don't see it because it recognizes the duplicates and links them. To unlink, turn off your Google contact sync, go into each contact and un-link it. Make sure you delete the phone copy, so you have only Google contacts. Then export to your SD card. Erase all your phone contacts from your online Google account, then import the contact file and re-sync to your phone.

The problem is that with Backup Assistant, you can't turn that sync off. So it's just gonna dump all the phone contacts back in again next time it runs. So you would have to either factory reset the phone, and not set it up again, or log in online, export your contacts to a file so they're saved, and then delete them all from your online VZW account.