Discussion of the Fascinate root How-To

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXCon, I said it before and I'll say it again..You are the MFin Man!!! That Fascinate_Sys_dump.zip file worked!!!! I just extracted the Gtalkservice.apk file, sent it to my email, Downloaded it on my phone, and ran the apk file.

Marketplace is now back up and running!!!

Glad thats running for you now

nichol.as769

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
Im trying to reroot after verizon dl09 update. I followed the one click method. When I open ti it says superuser granted permission. But when I try to rename or move bloat files it wont let me. So I must not be rooted. What did I do wrong?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Im trying to reroot after verizon dl09 update. I followed the one click method. When I open ti it says superuser granted permission. But when I try to rename or move bloat files it wont let me. So I must not be rooted. What did I do wrong?

if you are using root explorer at the top there is a button that says mount R/W , hit that button

Reactions: nichol.as769

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Attention !!!!! CWM+Root combo Method instructions have been updated. Tonight in effort to reproduce problems i have been told about i found that if i flashed su+busybox before flashing the kernel, the kernel would fail upon flashing. So i swapped the flashing order and now it works everytime.

Streczycielka1

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Mount SD

Thanks DroidXcon! Rooted and flashed Super Clean successfully. For some reason, the one click wouldn't work, but I got it by using Post #4. So thanks again!

I do have one issue though. I cant seem to mount my SD card anymore. I've tried it on 3 different OS's (Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac) but it will not mount. I tried turning debugging on and off. And I've tried both mass storage and media player in USB settings.

Am I missing something?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks DroidXcon! Rooted and flashed Super Clean successfully. For some reason, the one click wouldn't work, but I got it by using Post #4. So thanks again!

I do have one issue though. I cant seem to mount my SD card anymore. I've tried it on 3 different OS's (Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac) but it will not mount. I tried turning debugging on and off. And I've tried both mass storage and media player in USB settings.

Am I missing something?

You are very welcome, this is a Kernel issue having to do with DL09. try Flashing a new Kernel .... Also try leaving it in debugging mode and plugged in, and reboot the phone while still plugged in.

Streczycielka1

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
You are very welcome, this is a Kernel issue having to do with DL09. try Flashing a new Kernel .... Also try leaving it in debugging mode and plugged in, and reboot the phone while still plugged in.
Ah. Well that brings up two more questions. If I screw up flashing the Kernel, can I go back via Odin and the stock DI01package3 file? And I see your using StupidFast. What Kernel do you recommend?

Power cycling while plugged in did the trick. Thanks.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ah. Well that brings up two more questions. If I screw up flashing the Kernel, can I go back via Odin and the stock DI01package3 file? And I see your using StupidFast. What Kernel do you recommend?

Power cycling while plugged in did the trick. Thanks.

i am now using test 4 kernel non voodoo, working great for me...

yes as long as you can get into download mode odin will get you back from any state

Reactions: Streczycielka1

SleepyTheDon

Q&A Team
Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Dl09

User level: Beginner
What builds will this work on: DI01 / DJ05 / DL09
What Downloads will i need:
One click zip file
FascinateRoot_v02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directions: (Assuming you followed preparations from Post #1)

With your phone in debugging mode set to stay awake
1.Extract downloaded FascinateRoot_v02.zip file directly to your C:\ Drive
so that it looks like this C:\FascinateRoot_v02

2.Open FascinateRoot_v02 folder

3.Double click START_ROOT

4.Command window will appear
Carefully read all directions
hit any key when you are ready to continue when prompted
After the first reboot a pause has been added for the SD card to mount
and for you to disable media sync by pulling down notification bar
hitting media sync,then disable

5.When the process is done it will say Complete. At this point
Hit CTRL+C, unplug and restart your phone. download titanium backup,
If it asks you for Superuser permission you have successfully rooted

Instructions with Visual Aid (Provided by gunnermike53 )

Congrats.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trouble Shooting

During process it can not push file because it says file not found
A file in the FascinateRoot_v02 folder is missing or corrupted. Download FascinateRoot_v02.zip file again. and restart the process.

Prompt tells you that you do not have permissions
The process failed to grant you temporary root access. Close out and begin again.

After continuing from reboot the process freezes for a long time
This is common, best way to handle this is to be patient some phones take 5 minutes other take up to an hour. If you lose patience move on to a different method or try again. Most times waiting it out will lead to success.

Error Device not found
If this happens after continuing after first reboot, this means that the phone was not properly connected before continuing. After reboot unplug the phone, plug it back in, disable media sync, mount then unmount SD card then continue.

Additional Conditions to check
1. Check to make sure you installed the Samsung Drivers
2. Make sure your phone is connected using the original cable that came with the phone
3. Verify that debugging is enabled.
4. Try to run it again
5. If you are receiving errors then your phones drivers were not installed
6. If you are having a different please post here so we can help you.

Does this work after DL09? I have had no luck re rooting?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Does this work after DL09? I have had no luck re rooting?

Yes it does but sometimes there are occassions that it does not work well with certain computers, for instance mine at home i can not get it to work for the life of me , so i use adb method when i am home.

are you getting hung up at a certain point?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!

I have added a Trouble shooting Item to the CWM+root combo method . please review this if you are having the signature error

drinkhere

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem with my fascinate just like you. so what i did i went the CMD way that worked for me and should work for you. just go step by step. do you nowhere i can get a good rom and kernel ?

snoodge

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys... I had my Fascinate rooted/oclf'd and I undid the OCLF so that I could take the update that Verizon just rolled out. The update un-rooted my phone as expected, but now when I try to follow the old steps to re-root the phone I get this error. Did Verizon screw us with this new update or am I doing something wrong?

opmm4m.png

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys... I had my Fascinate rooted/oclf'd and I undid the OCLF so that I could take the update that Verizon just rolled out. The update un-rooted my phone as expected, but now when I try to follow the old steps to re-root the phone I get this error. Did Verizon screw us with this new update or am I doing something wrong?

opmm4m.png

do a battery pull , restart your phone and start over....after the phone reboots mid way through the process you need to unplug it, make sure you shut off media sync, and give it a minute to reconnect to the computer......then countinue the process...

the reason it is failing is because after the phone restarts the program no longer sees the phone so of course it wont see any of those files

if this is not working for you i would move onto ADB method, it is actually faster and simplier for me

Smabbage

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks DroidXcon for supplying this excellent rooting guide. All the other guides I found online for rooting my wife's Fascinate made to many assumptions in terms of what the end user should know to do in the process. It wasn't until I found your detailed guide that I was able to make it work. Thanks for breaking the process down for the uneducated. :)

Root Successful. WOOT!

Reactions: DroidXcon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa