My List of Froyo Issues Thus Far...

tonytooth

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
It seems most people think Froyo is working perfectly on their Fascinate but let's be honest, there are issues. These are my issues with 2.2 (Superclean 2.6) that did not exist with the OEM 2.1...

1. When my car Bluetooth gets out of range of my phone, it will not reconnect when in range. It will remain stuck in a battery draining, nearly locked up state and the phone is inoperable until you pull the battery or shut the car off.
2. Standalone GPS remains running at all times and drains the battery at a much faster rate.
3. Battery recognition is out of sync and does not represent the proper amount used/remaining.
4. Screen lights back up after pressing the lock button and sometimes remains on for a lengthy period of time (haven't waited to see how long, may be indefinite).
5. Tried multiple apps that offer an add shortcut to home screen option, none have worked up to this point. You must manually add them directly from the home screen.

There are lots of positives to Froyo, but these are the reasons why a guy like me normally waits for the full release from the manufacturer. I just couldn't sit out any longer and wait.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It seems most people think Froyo is working perfectly on their Fascinate but let's be honest, there are issues. These are my issues with 2.2 (Superclean 2.6) that did not exist with the OEM 2.1...

1. When my car Bluetooth gets out of range of my phone, it will not reconnect when in range. It will remain stuck in a battery draining, nearly locked up state and the phone is inoperable until you pull the battery or shut the car off.
2. Standalone GPS remains running at all times and drains the battery at a much faster rate.
3. Battery recognition is out of sync and does not represent the proper amount used/remaining.
4. Screen lights back up after pressing the lock button and sometimes remains on for a lengthy period of time (haven't waited to see how long, may be indefinite).
5. Tried multiple apps that offer an add shortcut to home screen option, none have worked up to this point. You must manually add them directly from the home screen.

There are lots of positives to Froyo, but these are the reasons why a guy like me normally waits for the full release from the manufacturer. I just couldn't sit out any longer and wait.

First I would flash to the most recent SC build, 2.9.

You should try and run bstats mod from adrynalyne for your battery problems. Use it in the process outlined in gunnermike's how to improve battery life post. If you flash with partial battery you can cause battery recognition issues, and that's the best fix.

I've never had an app try and add a shortcut to my home screen, so I wouldn't know about that. I thought that was a honeycomb feature. Not really difficult to put a shortcut there anyway.

Never seen the GPS problems, or car bluetooth. My screen backlight runs perfectly fine. Are you running a task killer? If so, I would dump it. They cause even more problems on 2.2 than they did on 2.1. That's the most common cause of bluetooth problems that I've noticed if you flashed right.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I would agree with Sheepdog about upgrading to 2.9, it is a much superior version to 2.6. I would also add the following for a couple things on your list:

2. GPS draining the battery is a known issue with both Froyo builds (DL30 and EB01.) The recommendation from Adrynalyne is to turn off standalone GPS services when you are not using GPS. Just hit the menu soft key and go settings=>location and security, and uncheck standalone GPS services.

4. You can adjust how long the screen light stays on by going menu=>settings=>display settings=>screen timeout and choosing anywhere from 15 seconds to 10 minutes. I believe the default setting is 30 seconds.

And most importantly, please don't forget that the version of Froyo we have right now was a leaked build rejected by Verizon and/or Samsung. That is why this build (EB01) has not been released officially. It's been rejected by them because of how many bugs and problems they are having with it. Adrynalyne has done a fantastic job of cleaning up the ROM and making it the stable build we now have in version 2.9. You can see all of the things he has had to change or repair based off of things members here have discovered by reading his changelogs in the first post of this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...s-hacks/53810-rom-superclean-2-8-updated.html and this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...om-superclean-2-9-1-ea15-eb01-eb16-based.html. Adrynalyne did not create this ROM from scratch, he had to deal with the broken version from Verizon/Samsung he got his hands on. So any problems that may surface are pretty much guaranteed to be the fault of Verizon and/or Samsung. If you want to get an idea of how good superclean is, flash the stock EB01 ROM which is the untouched leak exactly the way our indie devs got it and see how many problems you have compared to what you are complaining about with superclean. It can be found in this thread http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...faq-plus-stock-unrooted-rooted-downloads.html, and while you are there you can check out the long list of new features everyone has discovered in the two leaked builds we have gotten. And let's take another look at the list:

1. Gotta give you that one, Bluetooth is a known problem on the EB01 build. But again, Samsung/Verizon's fault not Adrynalyne's. And he just hasn't been able to work his usual magic to find a fix.

2. Same as #1 except it is easily fixed by adjusting a setting on your phone, and that was well documented here in the forums. Both the setting and the information in the forums about this issue are not tough to find.

3. Basically same answer as #2 in that the fix is well documented here in the forums and could have easily been found by using the forum search tool to search threads for the word battery.

4. A simple setting adjustment on your phone.

5. It would be helpful if you could provide us with the names of the apps you tried so we can try them and perhaps figure out why they are not working.

And in the end Android is open source and all about options and choices. So if you are that unhappy with the Froyo build we currently have and it bothers you that much you can always return to a stock OEM 2.1 and wait for the official Froyo release. Verizon promised it would be released by the end of 2010.

tonytooth

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Thank guys for all your input. I did not realize that flashing to 2.9 would be worth it but now after speaking with you, I am going to get that done tonight. As far as my #4 issue, I think you may have misunderstood Landshark. I wasn't referring to my backlight time setting. When I push the lock button on the right side of the phone, the light will go out but sometimes it will immediately come back on (in it's locked state). Bottom line, the phone should not light back up right after I have shut it off. My cousin is flashed to the same version and his is doing the same thing.

As far as the battery recognition fix, I can't imagine sitting around with a full battery then restarting my phone over and over until the battery is drained. Wouldn't this take hours of work? If I missed and easier fix, please let me know.

The 2 shortcut issues that I have personally encountered are...
1. When you save a new profile in the Audiomanager app, it give you the option to save a shortcut on your home screen. I check the box but no shortcut ever appears.
2. If you go to your bookmarks in the stock browser and long press a bookmark, it will give you the option to add a shortcut to the home screen. No shortcut will appear when it's done this way.
My assumption is that no app with this option to 'add shortcut to homescreen' will work with this build. I may be wrong and I would like know if others have gotten this option to work with their apps. Obviously they can be added manually by long pressing the home screen then adding it that way. It just appears that apps are not permitted to send a shortcut to the home screen.

tonytooth

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
As far a re-flashing to 2.9, do I just follow the normal process that I did the first time when flashing to 2.6? Thank you.

I am currently running "Super Clean version 2.6 - EB01/EB16 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmod w/Nonvoodoo eb16 kernel w/ dummy tether module" After much research, I just don't understand voodoo & nonvoodoo. I am assuming that I should stick with nonvoodoo since that's is what I am currently flashed to. Do you mind explaining the differences in simple terms that I can understand?

Tonight, should I flash to "Super Clean version 2.9 - EB01/EB16 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmodwith MALWARE protection" or "Non voodoo super_frankenclean_2_9nv.zip"? Then should I install the 2.9.1 patch?

There seems to be an overload of information for us noobs to keep straight. I keep getting lost in this world :)

Last edited:

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Just my input but shouldn't you just be happy with having it? Instead of nitpicking every little fault you find. Its much better than DI01 was.

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine does the "light back up after locking the phone by pressing the power button" too. Just a little quirk I thought was only on mine. Hope the replacement device I'm getting in the mail doesn't do this.

As far as going to 2.9. Just download adryn's 2.9 non voodoo rom. If you're updating versions there's no need to wipe everything. Just choose zip to install and try it. If it poses issues, then go back in and wipe dalvik and cache partition. Should be very easy. And then yes - install 2.9.1 addition the same way as just described. Good luck.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As far a re-flashing to 2.9, do I just follow the normal process that I did the first time when flashing to 2.6? Thank you.

I am currently running "Super Clean version 2.6 - EB01/EB16 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmod w/Nonvoodoo eb16 kernel w/ dummy tether module" After much research, I just don't understand voodoo & nonvoodoo. I am assuming that I should stick with nonvoodoo since that's is what I am currently flashed to. Do you mind explaining the differences in simple terms that I can understand?

Tonight, should I flash to "Super Clean version 2.9 - EB01/EB16 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmodwith MALWARE protection" or "Non voodoo super_frankenclean_2_9nv.zip"? Then should I install the 2.9.1 patch?

There seems to be an overload of information for us noobs to keep straight. I keep getting lost in this world :)

Just my input but shouldn't you just be happy with having it? Instead of nitpicking every little fault you find. Its much better than DI01 was.

Hey tony, yes I did misread #4. I'm on my way to work now, but when I have time I will tackle your questions if somebody else hasn't by that time. And MolecularGraph, while it probably would have been better for tony to phrase his post more like, "hey, I've come across a few problems/possible bugs. Is anyone aware of these or know of a solution?" instead of as you say nitpicking about something he wouldn't have without our indie devs, members pointing out problems/possible bugs in as specific terms as possible so Adrynalyne has a much info as possible to find a fix is how we now have this amazing version 2.9 we are all loving. If you check out the changelogs in the links to Adrynalyne's two superclean threads you can see how many things he has changed/fixed.modified/added/deleted. Some of those are the result of things he has found while others are the result of problems reported by or suggestions/requests made by members. We all would like our phones to be as good as they can be. And one of the best ways for that to happen is by sharing and discussing ideas & information, and that's really what these forums are all about.

dark96

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The thing i did with my battery was to wait folk a full charge flash the new rom and use it for a day, drain it completely, and charge it while its off to help me. I tired the other way posted, and never really could get it calibrate correctly it would seem

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank guys for all your input. I did not realize that flashing to 2.9 would be worth it but now after speaking with you, I am going to get that done tonight. As far as my #4 issue, I think you may have misunderstood Landshark. I wasn't referring to my backlight time setting. When I push the lock button on the right side of the phone, the light will go out but sometimes it will immediately come back on (in it's locked state). Bottom line, the phone should not light back up right after I have shut it off. My cousin is flashed to the same version and his is doing the same thing.

As far as the battery recognition fix, I can't imagine sitting around with a full battery then restarting my phone over and over until the battery is drained. Wouldn't this take hours of work? If I missed and easier fix, please let me know.

The 2 shortcut issues that I have personally encountered are...
1. When you save a new profile in the Audiomanager app, it give you the option to save a shortcut on your home screen. I check the box but no shortcut ever appears.
2. If you go to your bookmarks in the stock browser and long press a bookmark, it will give you the option to add a shortcut to the home screen. No shortcut will appear when it's done this way.
My assumption is that no app with this option to 'add shortcut to homescreen' will work with this build. I may be wrong and I would like know if others have gotten this option to work with their apps. Obviously they can be added manually by long pressing the home screen then adding it that way. It just appears that apps are not permitted to send a shortcut to the home screen.

Hey Tony, finally got a moment to check in. As far as an alternate method for the batt stat fix, Gunnermike53 added my method to the bottom of his first post. You can try that one as it does not involve manually draining the battery. I've sent him an updated version of those instructions, but the thing you will need to know that is not in there is when you are in terminal emulator, hit the enter key on the keyboard after you type in the prompts.

For the voodoo and nonvoodoo, yes I always recommend new rooters stick with nonvoodoo at first. Fewer rules to remember and easier to stay out of trouble doing the wrong thing. For a great explanation of what voodoo is you can read Sheepdog Elite's thread here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...rs-rooting-read-me-3-10-11-mostly-polish.html
It also helps a lot of things and may clear up some confusion about rooting topics. If you still want more info about voodoo, you can check out Gunner's thread here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ks/55753-how-voodoo-updated-9-mar-2011-a.html

As far as upgrading to 2.9, you can either use DroidXcon's package again, just make sure to use the EB16SC29x_DXC.tar, the one with the small x after 29. Or you can save the 2.9 nv zip file and the 2.9.1 patch to your sd card just like you did for the update.zip file when you used DroidXcon's method, then for flashing them in clockworkmod recovery (cwm) you can follow the instructions in DroidXcon's brand new thread that gives step by step instructions with screenshot visual aids here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...-clockworkmod-recovery-w-screen-captures.html

If you use DroidXcon's all-in-one ODIN package again, after you flash the all-in-one package, close ODIN, remove usb cord from phone, reopen ODIN, connect phone to usb while holding volume down button, then flash this cwm-all file MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service through ODIN, then when that is done you can put the battery back in and reboot your phone. Then from this point forward as long as you are running sc 2.9 or higher, when you boot to recovery you will go directly to red cwm-all without having to go through blue stock recovery and hitting apply sdcard:update.zip. And there's no need to go through the step of deleting update.zip, you can leave it where it is if you want. CWM-all will just ignore the update.zip.

And yes, all the information can be completely overwhelming at first. Just stick with it, keep reading as much as you can, and ask questions when you have a problem or don't understand something. That's what these forums are for.

tonytooth

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for detailed reply. That did help me A LOT!

Maybe you can help me understand another thing...
What is the difference between Adrynalyne's Super Frankenclean & DroidXcon's Super Clean ROMS? And, why would someone choose one over the other?

I think I want to do a clean fresh install of Adrynalyne's 2.9 tonight but then again, I can't really answer why :) I have Super Clean version 2.6 - EB01/EB16 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmod w/Nonvoodoo eb16 kernel w/ dummy tether module installed right now. I am assuming there will be more versions to come after 2.9 so should I just upgrade in the future instead of wiping it like I plan to do tonight. Is it better to wipe and do a clean install each time? I really don't mind clean installs too much if it's a better route to take. Just not sure I am benefiting from it.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for detailed reply. That did help me A LOT!

Maybe you can help me understand another thing...
What is the difference between Adrynalyne's Super Frankenclean & DroidXcon's Super Clean ROMS? And, why would someone choose one over the other?

I think I want to do a clean fresh install of Adrynalyne's 2.9 tonight but then again, I can't really answer why :) I have Super Clean version 2.6 - EB01/EB16 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmod w/Nonvoodoo eb16 kernel w/ dummy tether module installed right now. I am assuming there will be more versions to come after 2.9 so should I just upgrade in the future instead of wiping it like I plan to do tonight. Is it better to wipe and do a clean install each time? I really don't mind clean installs too much if it's a better route to take. Just not sure I am benefiting from it.

DroidXcon's packages are not ROM's. He takes Adrynalyne's superfrankenclean ROM, and puts it together with root, clockworkmod recovery, and the modem, in an all-in-one package you flash through ODIN. This makes it pretty much as easy a process as you can have to help those who are brand new to rooting get rooted to the latest software. Once you are on an EB01 build, which sc 2.6 is, you shouldn't need to do a complete wipe when going to another EB01 build, which 2.9 also is, unless you have problems after the upgrade. I can't answer why you are thinking of doing a clean fresh start install either as it is completely unnecessary. If you aren't comfortable flashing just the 2.9 ROM zip file in clockworkmod recovery (CWM), you can use DroidXcon's method again just make sure to use the one with the small x so it doesn't wipe your data. Then make sure to follow my earlier instructions and flash the CWM-all file in ODIN. If you continue to use DroidXcon's method in subsequent updates, you will not need to flash the CWM-all file again, it will not get wiped away.

EDIT - You can upgrade to 2.9 tonight without wiping, and you will be able to keep upgrading without wiping each time as long as the basic build number (EB01) stays the same. You are not benefiting at all by doing a complete wipe fresh start each time.

Last edited:

tonytooth

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
OK, now I understand better. Forget wiping it then. My plan for tonight is (please correct me if I am wrong)...

1. I will flash to 2.9 with CWM by using the super_frankenclean_2_9nv.zip file from Adrynalyne's post.
2. I will flash the 2.9.1 patch with CWM by using the 2_9_1.zip file from Adrynalyne's post.
3. I will flash the CWM-ALL with ODIN by using the cwm-recovery-ALL.tar file you provided above.

Does it sound like I have my ducks in a row? Is this the method you non-noobs would take if you were in my shoes? :D

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
OK, now I understand better. Forget wiping it then. My plan for tonight is (please correct me if I am wrong)...

1. I will flash to 2.9 with CWM by using the super_frankenclean_2_9nv.zip file from Adrynalyne's post.
2. I will flash the 2.9.1 patch with CWM by using the 2_9_1.zip file from Adrynalyne's post.
3. I will flash the CWM-ALL with ODIN by using the cwm-recovery-ALL.tar file you provided above.

Does it sound like I have my ducks in a row? Is this the method you non-noobs would take if you were in my shoes? :D

That is all correct, except I would move #3 to #1. Then after the ODIN process is done (install will only take 7 seconds), close ODIN, pull the usb cord from phone, put battery in, and boot directly to CWM by holding down volume up, volume down, and power buttons at the same time until samsung logo flashes on screen twice. Let go of all three buttons as soon as you see samsung logo for the second time, you will boot directly to red cwm. install 2.9, install 2.9.1 patch, when done menu or search soft key untill you are back at main cwm menu where reboot system now is highlighted at top of page, power button, wait for phone to power up, and enjoy the 2.9 goodness. If you're not sure about all the steps in cwm, go to DroidXcon's new thread I linked you in a previous post so you have a handy reference guide with visual aids.

EDIT - Yes this is the process a lot of non noobs use, but when the official release comes out and we get some custom ROMs built from it, they will all be a different build number. So to save the hassle of doing all the steps separately I may actually wait a little while longer and use one of DroidXcon's packages to save myself all the steps.

tonytooth

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Damn it feels good to be a gangster ;)
Thanks so much for all your help. The reason I planned to do the CWM-ALL last was I thought for some reason I had to be flashed to 2.9 before I could install that. I will follow your instructions and start with #3 first.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Damn it feels good to be a gangster ;)
Thanks so much for all your help. The reason I planned to do the CWM-ALL last was I thought for some reason I had to be flashed to 2.9 before I could install that. I will follow your instructions and start with #3 first.

Actually, sorry, edit that. You are on 2.6 right? So you have the update.zip file on your sd card and can boot to recovery to stock blue recovery, apply sdcard:update.zip, which takes you to old red cwm with the white bitmap error messages right? If so, completely eliminate step #3. Just do 1 and 2. I forgot 2.9 includes cwm-all and it will overwrite the old red cwm.

tonytooth

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Actually, sorry, edit that. You are on 2.6 right? So you have the update.zip file on your sd card and can boot to recovery to stock blue recovery, apply sdcard:update.zip, which takes you to old red cwm with the white bitmap error messages right? If so, completely eliminate step #3. Just do 1 and 2. I forgot 2.9 includes cwm-all and it will overwrite the old red cwm.

Actually, I deleted the update.zip file after flashing cuz I thought it wasn't needed any further (sorry). In the days since after becoming more educated, I see I should have left it there. What do you recommend I do at this point?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I deleted the update.zip file after flashing cuz I thought it wasn't needed any further (sorry). In the days since after becoming more educated, I see I should have left it there. What do you recommend I do at this point?

Easy, go back to my last instructions. Do #3 first then 1 and 2.