Thinking of Making the Switch

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I currently have the droid x and am thinking about getting the fascinate but had a couple questions first. Is the gps really as bad as some people are making it out to be and how bad is having bing on the phone? Those are my main 2 concerns. I know if I root I could get rid of bing but don't really wanna root my phone plus I heard once 2.2 comes out we'll be able to download google search anyway. Thanks in advance for everyones input.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Fascinate is a good phone but don't expect the latest updates from Verizon. We don't have froyo yet and probably won't get gingerbread for a very long time. If that stuff doesn't matter to you then jump in! I love my fascinate and feel its one of the few phones that doesn't need a custom rom.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i just did the same thing, i upgrade from a Droid X to the Fascinate. I absolutely love the device over the X. Now, there was nothing wrong with the X, i just HATED the physical buttons on it.

voghan is right, updates are still few and far between, but we should see 2.2 soon. i really don't care because i carry a droid pro as my work phone, so i get all of the features if needed.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
DJ05 update is in testing and should be released by Verizon as an ota update in the next week or two. From what myself and others have seen, this completely resolves any GPS issues people were experiencing. If you time your switch right, you may never even experience the agony of that stupid GPS issue. :)

Bing is easily removed.

ocgreenmachine

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I've had my fascinate for almost two months... Gps hadn't been an issue with the exception of when I leave it off for extended amounts of time. As to bing, I'm rooted and have google as default search now...

jtalker1965

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE, LOVE the phone. GPS, Not sure what the deal everyone is having? Mine works fine. 2.1 or 2.2 I have no clue what I am missing from one or the other. Rooting? Okay if you must, Google, Yahoo or Bing they all get you to one place or another.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
The Fascinate is my first Android phone altogether. I love this thing! To me, the BING thing is no big deal. I made a shortcut on my home screen to Google, and voila...I have google Search. I leave my GPS on all the time (now) and i've not had an issue with it. Now, I don't use it a LOT, but what little I've used the GPS, it's been fine!

I'd say go for it. I love this thing!

jorger81#AC

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
The Fascinate is my first Android phone and I am loving it. Coming from a Blackberry was a little challenging and there are some things which i havent "paid" for yet to make my phone as customizable as I would like, but overall....ITS GREAT !

chaddymoff

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My $.02 for you. Bing isn't that bad. I do still have a bookmark set to Google Search and do still use Google Maps (Market download), but when Bing pops in, it is OK. It'll be nice to have the option with 2.2

I haven't had the GPS issues others have. Maybe just luck, but I've used in in outlying areas while hiking (including places where there was no cell reception) and also in a major downtown area where building previously have played havoc with my original Droid.

I'd say 100% go for it. The Fascinate screen clarity, color, and brightness really does leave the X in the dust, to my eyes. (-;

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The hardware is the reason I chose the Fascinate. You can always upgrade/customize software down the road but whatever screen and buttons you have, you're stuck with. I feel the Fascinate is far superior to any other phone because of these reasons. GPS is certainly a draw back, but tolerable, and this will soon be fixed as a few people have been testing the update now.

dmcrowe

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I went the other way - from a Fascinate to a DX. FYI, I find the battery life on the DX far superior and I really missed the email notification lights. I didn't root or try any custom ROMs, but I had issues with the Fascinate freezing periodically (maybe the lag we hear so much about). I see much less of it on the DX.

The Fascinate screen and overall size is great. If an update fixes the GPS, lag, and improves the battery a little I'd be tempted to switch back.