Where's Froyo for the Fascinate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Rooting alone won't do a whole lot, and those quadrant scores you are getting are a bit misleading. The lag fix "tricks" certain aspects of quadrant to give you an inflated result

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
With the Epic 4g build out in the wild I'm hopefull that it will happen soon. Although at this point I would rather skip Froyo altogether and go straight to Gingerbread.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm so tired of bing. I hate how my google widget bugs out all the time and I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app to use a feature every other android phone has. :mad:

Then root your phone :p

It's actually curious that the Fascinate didn't get any sort of Droid branding. I was kinda taken back by that.

Despite being as powerful and full featured as their other big phones, it just gets ignored.

RAM is horrible. And it being Samsung means you wait forever for updates.

Chris,

I believe this was a choice of samsung, since it was trying to keep the Galaxy S Moniker. Branding it a droid would have detracted from the fact that it was part of the Galaxy S series of phones.

Correct.

Everyone needs to calm down- Froyo is in testing. I've hit up a couple VZW higher-ups and they say it runs great on their Fascinates. That being said, Samsung is notorious for prolonging updates.. Hopefully they're at, or at least very close to, their final build since it's already been released in the UK. I'm thinking within the next 6 weeks..

Chrisvklein

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Then root your phone :p
Everyone needs to calm down- Froyo is in testing. I've hit up a couple VZW higher-ups and they say it runs great on their Fascinates. That being said, Samsung is notorious for prolonging updates.. Hopefully they're at, or at least very close to, their final build since it's already been released in the UK. I'm thinking within the next 6 weeks..

My major frustration is that when MOST of the current android phones are already deep into 2.2, and the Nexus S sound like its getting 2.3, then why the wait. if theres an issue of testing or development, then it becomes necessary at times to move engineers into the right positions to get a task done in an appropriate amount of time.

current users of this phone ARE telling potential future customers not to buy the Fascinate because of issues x, y and z. all of which were supposed to be fixed by a new version of the OS that was due out a long time ago. thus new potential customers will go for other brands of Android handsets because why buy samsung when they're not making their current customers happy.

as far as the next 6 weeks, that puts us deep into january. hopefully by then any users that were waiting on picking up the fascinate because they were waiting on Froyo will be purchasing an iPhone on Verizon instead.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I can't tell enough people how great this phone is. Sure, it has some shortcomings, but every other phone out there does, too.

And I would steer clear of the first iteration of iPhone on Verizon... Why get locked in now, when the second gen will almost certainly be LTE?

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The Froyo update for the Galaxy S has been available for some time. So I wouldn't blame Samsung. Verizon is the one to blame here.

Maybe it's time to consider filing a claim with your state's attorney general. I, like everybody else bought a (two) phone(s) along with two worthless desk docks (and two year contract) based on what I was told by my Verizon rep. It's now been three months and they have not delivered what I've paid for. Doesn't that constitute "consumer fraud"?

I haven't asked yet, but if I went into my Verizon store and said I would like to be released from my 2-year contract based on the above, what do you think the answer would be?

I'm tired of Verizon ignoring their customers and not delivering on what they sell. IF I remain on this contract, it will be the last time Verizon get's me and my family to purchase anything. Not that they care.

Last edited:

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
That's the thing, isn't it the carriers responsibility to customize the updates how they want? Meaning they get the base update from Samsung and then go from there with it. Assuming I'm right, it wouldn't matter if Samsung got it out as fast as possible, the carriers can still cause delays in it being released. Seems in this case that Samsung has done it's part, it's out there, the U.S. carriers are just dragging their feet.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
hopefully by then any users that were waiting on picking up the fascinate because they were waiting on Froyo will be purchasing an iPhone on Verizon instead.

Froyo will not make this phone an iphone competitor, no matter what the review sites keep spewing. People who buy Mac stuff ("it just works") don't want to mess with their phone, root, rom, kernel flashing, almost-brick scares...just wanna turn it on, run smooth and fast, and download a bunch of apps. The Froyo OTA will just be more junk Samsung software with Verizon bloat piled on top to compound the lag. If you're somebody tech savvy enough to get around all that and unlock Froyo's potential, then you would have had the phone running fast on Eclair too and been mostly happy. The average iphone user? Please. My mom gets confused enough with a single hard button.

I would not change my recommendation to anyone based on Froyo. Just what kind of person they are and what would be better. I would recommend iphone and Mac computers to most average people. Only viable alternative out-of-the-box on Verizon (and Verizon is the most important factor to me - I like to have reception) is HTC, and that's not because of Froyo, Sense was good software before. Unlike TW and Moto junk.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
The Froyo update for the Galaxy S has been available for some time. So I wouldn't blame Samsung. Verizon is the one to blame here.

Yes and no. We can't just run Galaxy S software, it's different for CDMA, and understandably Samsung focused on the GSM software since that's most of their global market. So there is blame to go around.

I'm sorry you're unhappy, in the future don't listen to salesmen. The overwhelming majority don't know much and have incentive to get you to sign a contract. Samsung has always sucked with updates.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
That's the thing, isn't it the carriers responsibility to customize the updates how they want? Meaning they get the base update from Samsung and then go from there with it. Assuming I'm right, it wouldn't matter if Samsung got it out as fast as possible, the carriers can still cause delays in it being released. Seems in this case that Samsung has done it's part, it's out there, the U.S. carriers are just dragging their feet.

And it's sad that carriers can get away with it, seeing as how stuff like this is illegal in a lot of other countries. Now, I'm not going to sit here a bash Verizon - I'm not that type. I do find it frustrating at times that Verizon just absolutely has to have their way with the OS and delaying it's release beyond belief, but I've grown used to it. Now when I buy a new phone on Verizon, I automatically remind myself that this.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
While we are yelling "where is froyo", I just saw "where is gingerbread" on some other forum.... Haha.. Everyone is impatient for the next update. And to think some devices don't even have eclair yet!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Krook

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
My phone is rooted and I downloaded the enhanced google search.apk but it bugs our frequently. It still doesn't rule out the fact that we shouldn't be able to use something almost every other android phone can

jason821

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am beginning to ask myself why I went from an Incredible to a Fascinate.....only reason I can come up with it that the Fascinate was free. (Best Buy matched an error on the Best Buy Mobile home page on Friday)

I am shocked how laggy it is.

ocgreenmachine

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I am beginning to ask myself why I went from an Incredible to a Fascinate.....only reason I can come up with it that the Fascinate was free. (Best Buy matched an error on the Best Buy Mobile home page on Friday)

On the other hand, I have the fascinate and my wife has the incredible and you couldn't pay me to use the incredible... I find the incredible to be inferior in almost every way. The only thing I would like to have is froyo.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
On the other hand, I have the fascinate and my wife has the incredible and you couldn't pay me to use the incredible... I find the incredible to be inferior in almost every way. The only thing I would like to have is froyo.

I agree. I experience absolutely zero lag with my Fascinate, don't use task killers (quite frankly, can't stand them) and have zero complaints. FroYo or no FroYo, I love this device and I wouldn't trade it in for anything that's out there right now.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I experience absolutely zero lag with my Fascinate, don't use task killers (quite frankly, can't stand them) and have zero complaints. FroYo or no FroYo, I love this device and I wouldn't trade it in for anything that's out there right now.

this.

currently, on verizon imo there is no better device out there yet. you'd be downgrading to go to a dx, d2, or dinc.

i want working aosp far more than i give a rat's behind about froyo.

ocgreenmachine

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
in the state the fasinate is in now its not the best. No way

At the speed at which these phones come out, I don't know how you'd expect any phone you purchase to be the "best", whatever that means to you. People just can't seem to be satisfied with what they have in their hand... It is always "ooo that pioneer is much better". For forms sake, 6 years ago, I was rocking a dumb-phone that could only marginally text and thought that was the greatest thing ever.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

My Droid X was super laggy, my Fascinate is silky smooth. If i were you i would start to look at the apps you have installed, sounds like something is dragging you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non