Verizon Spyware in Mobile Hotspot FROYO??

ninjamark

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. Not sure now where i read it, but someone said that verizon can tracking data usage in the new leaked version of Android 2.2 . The claim was that even if you root it and install your own app for a mobile hot spot.... they can log the data and charge you for it. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Are the super clean versions free of this potential issue.... or is it all bogus to begin with?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. Not sure now where i read it, but someone said that verizon can tracking data usage in the new leaked version of Android 2.2 . The claim was that even if you root it and install your own app for a mobile hot spot.... they can log the data and charge you for it. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Are the super clean versions free of this potential issue.... or is it all bogus to begin with?

Yeah, that rumor holds true. It's been discussed here on the forums as well. Unfortunately. we think it's Kernel related and therefore Super Clean and any other ROM at this point isn't free of it. Once we can get hour hands on the kernel source, then it can probably be rid of.

Word to the wise, I've used WiFi tether a few times on DL30/EB01 and haven't been smacked with a nasty bill from Verizon or anything, but that doesn't mean you won't. It's use at your own risk for now.

ninjamark

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Chris... i dont really NEED to have the functionality right now, part of me wonders if i will ever want to take more than one computer and chain it to a 3g network.... i mean... come on.... download speeds that slow went out with dial up. That said, i dont plan to give VZW any more than I have to... so thanks for the heads up.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
How do we even know that it has this detect 'feature'? I have yet to hear of anyone being billed for doing it, but I keep hearing that VZW can tell.

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
The devs say that it's a possibility, and they haven't figured it out for sure yet. I'm sure they are leaning on the side of caution since it would be really bad if a bunch of us got a huge bill.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
How do we even know that it has this detect 'feature'? I have yet to hear of anyone being billed for doing it, but I keep hearing that VZW can tell.

We don't know it's sole purpose or if Verizon intends on acting on it. Who knows, it could be there as a scare tactic and not even fully functional. What we do know is that it's there, and that to be safe, it's being recommended you stray away from it until it can be removed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87